Options

Withheld telephone numbers

Comments

• Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless I am expecting a call, from say a doctor's, I never answer them.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,531
    Forum Member
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    I don't answer withheld numbers and never will.

Likewise, just check the CLI and then let the answer phone take it - you find that they NEVER leave a message :D
  • Options
    JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member
    On my Mobile phone I block 'Unknown' and 'Withheld' under the options menu. Someone has sold my number to PPI companies so I get daily calls from them. All blocked and I have turned off answer phone

Caused me trouble once when the Hospital were trying to call me urgently on a withheld number.

They dont want it to say XYZ hospital because then people might worry if they have 20 missed calls from them.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I usually only answer if the phone displays the name of the caller. If it displays a number I Google the number, and if it's withheld I ignore it. As others have said, if it's a genuine caller they'll leave a message. Recently we've had a rash of calls from a US number and I did answer the first time, but it was some kind of robot that asked for my partner but didn't respond when I spoke. Weird...
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,170
    Forum Member
    If I've recently been to the hospital or GP and I receive a withheld call that is the only time I would answer. Even if I don't they should leave a voicemail.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    dslrocks wrote: »
    I've never seen the reason why some banks call from a withhheld number, would it not be better if they just presented the normal generic bank number as the CLI then at least people would be more likely to believe it's the bank calling.

Most people do get quite funny about a bank calling from a withheld number, especially if it is not expected...

If Banks ring up on a withheld number especially if it's an unexpected call, i'd be quite suspicious that they're scammers, why the public get funny about these calls, is why Banks phone numbers should not be withheld.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Withheld number rings you asks you to prove who you are and asks for bank details, And they expect you to believe you they are doing it for your sake, Would make anyone suspicious wouldn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lushness wrote: »
    If I've recently been to the hospital or GP and I receive a withheld call that is the only time I would answer. Even if I don't they should leave a voicemail.

I can't comment on your GP, but Hospital's don't leave messages on answer phones - as I found out after I specifically bought an answer phone as my wife was awaiting various important calls from the Hospital :(

Apparently they 'can' leave messages, but only if you give them written permission to do so - and I'm pretty dubious that such permission will ever get through to the people who might be ringing :D

Certainly, despite giving written permission, we never got any message from the Hospital - all you could do is check the missed calls log, and if there were any Withheld ones ring the hospital to check.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    If Banks ring up on a withheld number especially if it's an unexpected call, i'd be quite suspicious that they're scammers, why the public get funny about these calls, is why Banks phone numbers should not be withheld.

Makes no difference to me as if it's an important bank call, I will look up their phone number for myself then phone them back after ensuring that the line has fully cleared (get proper dialling tone) from before.

That is the best way to be certain that they are who they say they are.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    Withheld number rings you asks you to prove who you are and asks for bank details, And they expect you to believe you they are doing it for your sake, Would make anyone suspicious wouldn't it?

I usually get into a discussion about the meaning of the word "confirm". I can only confirm something if they give me the information first. Otherwise I'm telling them.
  • Options
    The FBIThe FBI Posts: 2,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate the ones that when you answer hang up
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless they are willing to show who they are, I am not interested. I could grab a cheap mobile, hold the number from showing, and ring up your dear old auntie and pretend I am the bank. You should never answer a hidden number on a personal line, it will more than likely be cold calling crap for PPI or double glazing.
  • Options
    StarDeltaStarDelta Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    The Huddersfield Royal Infirmary preoperative assessment unit, withhold their number or did last year.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Makes no difference to me as if it's an important bank call, I will look up their phone number for myself then phone them back after ensuring that the line has fully cleared (get proper dialling tone) from before.

That is the best way to be certain that they are who they say they are.
    Yep. I've been getting 02 numbers which apparently is a London code and a google search says it's about a car accident.
    Another major reason I don't pick up is that my mobile is a social tool. Only friends have the number so any other numbers I pretty much know are cold callers.
  • Options
    MikeJWMikeJW Posts: 3,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sometimes pick up, then put the phone down again, hoping that at least the connection will cost them something. (Not always true, I know, but it makes me feel a little better.)
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And as I said before - you should not assume that anyone who calls you really is from your bank. Caller IDs can be faked relatively easily. Ask them what department they are calling from then call them back yourself using the official number from their website or any documentation you have.
  • Options
    pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    If it is important, they will leave a message.

My thinking exactly
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,170
    Forum Member
    I can't comment on your GP, but Hospital's don't leave messages on answer phones - as I found out after I specifically bought an answer phone as my wife was awaiting various important calls from the Hospital :(

Apparently they 'can' leave messages, but only if you give them written permission to do so - and I'm pretty dubious that such permission will ever get through to the people who might be ringing :D

Certainly, despite giving written permission, we never got any message from the Hospital - all you could do is check the missed calls log, and if there were any Withheld ones ring the hospital to check.

I didn't realise that. I guess I can understand the hospital not wanting to cause panic or distress by leaving a message but I would prefer to panic for a while rather than not being told.

Did they write to you asking you to contact them or did you answer the call in the end?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lushness wrote: »
    I didn't realise that. I guess I can understand the hospital not wanting to cause panic or distress by leaving a message but I would prefer to panic for a while rather than not being told.

They don't leave ANY messages, at the time we were simply waiting to hear details of urgent appointments, so nothing confidential or worrying at all.

Did they write to you asking you to contact them or did you answer the call in the end?

If we were in we answered any withheld calls during that time, and if we were out we checked the call logs when we came back, and if there were any from withheld numbers we rang the hospital to check.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Yep. I've been getting 02 numbers which apparently is a London code.

Not necessarily, could be Southampton, Cardiff, Portsmouth, Northern Ireland or indeed London depending what comes after the two.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My local pizza shop refuses custom from anyone who calls them using a withheld number. They use caller ID to get the number of the customer in case there is a problem or if they refuse to pay.

Isn't this issue another case of the "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear" fallacy usually perpetrated by right wing commentators?
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    If my spouse rings from work, it always comes up withheld due to their phone system config. So I always have to answer those in the week.

My work always comes up withheld on my mobile so I have to answer them really. It's annoying as I don't like to answer withheld numbers.
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    On the landline we have caller ID so we only answer if its from numbers we know, if its witheld or isnt a number we recognise we dont bother picking up. If its urgent they will leave a message on the 1571
  • Options
    gkmacgkmac Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    My local Chinese takeaway has some kind of touch-screen ordering system. Every time their phone rings the caller ID appears on the screen and the system takes a note of it along with what food they've ordered.

When a future call comes from the same number a "favourites list" of items that they ordered before appears, thus those who regularly phone through with the same orders may get their order done quicker.
    My local pizza shop refuses custom from anyone who calls them using a withheld number. They use caller ID to get the number of the customer in case there is a problem or if they refuse to pay.
    My Dad's landline somehow withholds his number automatically on every call, every time. So how is he supposed to place an order with this pizza shop?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gkmac wrote: »
    My Dad's landline somehow withholds his number automatically on every call, every time. So how is he supposed to place an order with this pizza shop?

That's because he asked for it to be done that way - he can either reverse the instructions to re-enable caller-ID, or simply add a prefix before he dials (depending on your supplier).

For BT:
    If you have chosen to have your number permanently withheld, you can use 1470 to enable your number to be released on a call-by-call basis. Simply dial '1470' before making a call.

If you are not withholding your number permanently, you can use 141 to withhold your number on a call-by-call basis. Simply dial '141' before making a call.