Options

Chelsea Supporters Thread (Part 5)

Comments

• Options
    carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,082
    Forum Member
    It's really happening…. :)

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2014/08/torres-loan-agreed.html

Good luck to him in Milan, although I can't express how much of a relief it is that he won't be playing for us again.
  • Options
    denddend Posts: 2,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm happy Torres is gone, he was a dark cloud hanging over us for some time now. We need to move on from him, a 2 year loan deal is really strange top, very unusual.
  • Options
    carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,082
    Forum Member
    dend wrote: »
    I'm happy Torres is gone, he was a dark cloud hanging over us for some time now. We need to move on from him, a 2 year loan deal is really strange top, very unusual.

Par for the course with us. See Crespo, Veron and Shevchenko…. :blush:
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dend wrote: »

Not sure how I feel about this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    Not sure how I feel about this.

I feel surprisingly positive considering Costa's injury. Torres just didn't work with us and it's liberating that he's gone. Wish him all the best as an ex player who didn't do anything wrong, but breathing easier in his absence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That goal against barca, fantastic!
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neutral view - I hope MIlan set up their team and play better to his strengths than Chelsea ever did and that he re-discovers some of the form and ability that made him one of the most exciting players to watch in the premier league during his first couple of years at Liverpool. I'm sure no one in the world more than the man himself wishes he could had contributed more to your team than he ultimately did, but I'm not sure Chelsea would have won the Champions League had he not got that goal against Barca in the semi.

Good luck Fernando, now go and score a s*%$ load of goals for Milan and end your playing days happy.
  • Options
    ICT User 77ICT User 77 Posts: 11,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indications are that the club are after Loic Remy now.

Good player who can score goals. and the transfer fee won't be huge. Could be a good player for the club.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indications are that the club are after Loic Remy now.

Good player who can score goals. and the transfer fee won't be huge. Could be a good player for the club.

I'd much rather have given ba a good run in the team
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torch81 wrote: »
    Neutral view - I hope MIlan set up their team and play better to his strengths than Chelsea ever did and that he re-discovers some of the form and ability that made him one of the most exciting players to watch in the premier league during his first couple of years at Liverpool. I'm sure no one in the world more than the man himself wishes he could had contributed more to your team than he ultimately did, but I'm not sure Chelsea would have won the Champions League had he not got that goal against Barca in the semi.

Good luck Fernando, now go and score a s*%$ load of goals for Milan and end your playing days happy.

I share your wishes for Torres at Milan. But I don't think you can accuse Chelsea of not playing to his strengths. Chelsea bent over backwards trying to accommodate Torres,to the detriment of the club in my opinion.
    Our failure to recognise that injuries had taken their toll cost us promising young players, managers, and possibly a PL title. Everything was done to coax Torres back to some kind of form. Challengers to his position were sold so that he didn't feel threatened, a fortune was spent on creative midfield players to "feed" him, even Rafa his old mentor was brought back for a season.
    There's not a club in the world who would have done more than Chelsea for one, single player. In fact it's cost us a lot more than money, it's held back club development for 3+ years. Sorry, I'm quite bitter about it really. But I don't blame the player.
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd much rather have given ba a good run in the team

But that was never going to happen.

Ba was never going to stay and be fourth choice striker.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everton today, our first real test, hoping we can win but I would take a draw.
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Courtois; Ivanovic, Terry (c), Cahill, Azpilicueta: Fabregas, Matic; Ramires, Hazard, Willian;, Costa.

Cech, Filipe Luis, Zouma, Mikel, Schurrle, Salah, Drogba
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fabregas and Costa :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a start!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Looked like Howard should have been sent off as well.
  • Options
    SazzybluegirlSazzybluegirl Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    What a match and what a result.:D

Finally a striker who can take his chances ad score the goals.

Oh and I also want to wish Torres all the best in Italy.....................will never forget that goal against Barcelona!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey that was some game. Never seen us so bad defensively for a good while.
    Good to have a clinical striker leading the line again.
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably the most revealing game we have had for quite a while.

We have made hugh strides in sorting out our shortcomings from the last couple of season's.

The issue we have to solve now is getting the balance right, we not only conceded 3 goals in one game something the first choice back line of a top team should ever do but it could have been more against a decent attacking outfit. This is not something just from today's game but has been a hallmark from the pre-seasons games and our league games so far. Hopefully as the season goes on its something we sort out
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's nice to be so clinical in front of goal for a change. What a player Costa is.

32 million for a striker who already has 4 goals, exactly what we have been missing for many, many years.

A different formation away than for home games, cesc playing further forward, no schurrle or oscar.

Matic has shown what a good striker of the ball he is. He could be the new lampard if we let him, but I guess defensive duties have to come first.
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I share your wishes for Torres at Milan. But I don't think you can accuse Chelsea of not playing to his strengths. Chelsea bent over backwards trying to accommodate Torres,to the detriment of the club in my opinion.
    Our failure to recognise that injuries had taken their toll cost us promising young players, managers, and possibly a PL title. Everything was done to coax Torres back to some kind of form. Challengers to his position were sold so that he didn't feel threatened, a fortune was spent on creative midfield players to "feed" him, even Rafa his old mentor was brought back for a season.
    There's not a club in the world who would have done more than Chelsea for one, single player. In fact it's cost us a lot more than money, it's held back club development for 3+ years. Sorry, I'm quite bitter about it really. But I don't blame the player.

I'll bow to your (no doubt) better knowledge about all this in that respect. I just remember watching lots of games where he constantly kept making runs and moved into space, looking for and wanting the ball to get fed through to him to try and do something and it never came, instead of sending it forward it always seemed to go sideways. Cue Torres understandably looking a bit pissed off. I thought his work rate for the team was generally excellent.

All that aside both Costa (and Fabregas particularly) look like excellent buys so far and todays game was mega entertaining, (Chelsea, entertaining.....what's going on! :D ;-) ).

Chelsea Premier League champions this year. Yes quite possibly, Champions League winners again......no. Spend the cash and get Higuain, Benzema or Falcao instead of Remy, then maybe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not falcao, he is a busted flush
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like the Loic Remy deal is practically done and dusted. Arsenal have withdrawn after showing some late interest. I wonder what kind of contract he will be on ? Allegedly he was asking for 5 years and £110k a week from Liverpool.
    Must admit, I'm not over the moon about the signing (if it cimes off) but it was probably the best we could do in the circumstances. Stiil, who knows, it could work out really well. This is probably Remy's last chance to prove he deserves a place up there among the very best, he's been a sort of "nearly man" up to now. With the number of games we play, he'll get plenty of opportunities, Drogba is only a 20/30 minute player these days if we're honest.

We were staying away last night, so I watched the Everton game in a strange pub. Great fun being among a mixed bunch of supporters who mainly wanted us to lose. :)
    Bizarre game with some great attacking play and a few awful defensive errors. How did Eto'o get left to take a free header ? But how can you complain, 6-3 and unbelievably entertaining. Back to 2-0 from now on though please. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Five years and 110 k a week?

Madness. Chelsea should not be signing remy, it's a backward step.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Five years and 110 k a week?

Madness. Chelsea should not be signing remy, it's a backward step.

I'm not saying we've agreed to that, but that was the sort of deal he was looking for in talks with Liverpool. Problem is, he has a good contract with QPR, £80/90K a week apparently. Perhaps we'll agree on £90K a week for 3 years ?
    On the plus side, Remy is probably a £15/20m player without the medical doubts which don't seem to have resulted in any problems so far. So, it's a bargain fee up front but costly in wages.
    I don't think it's necessarily a backward step. He has more to his game than Demba Ba, and he's almost certainly an upgrade from the Torres we've seen with us. He might surprise us all, but if he doesn't we can go for a bigger name next time. I don't think we could realistically expect to sign another established world class striker at this stage.