How do you deal with unsolicited phone calls?

PamthehoundPamthehound Posts: 5,333
Forum Member
In our house we have been getting plagued with unsolicited cold phone calls , mainly from foreign places.

My wife started just by telling them she was the "Cleaner".

My daugther has also started saying some really outlandish reasons, like Im the lodger and the landlords here are terrible people.

Ive just got a call looking for my wife, I told the girl she was dead, she then asked for another family member , I told her there was none , then she asked me "who are you". I said Im the funeral undertaker.

Its now became a bit of a laugh here. Question is , are we doing anyting wrong having a laugh like this .

Or , anybody else here do the same thing to these cold telephone calls.

Comments

• SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just hang up when I get cold calls. Seem to be getting quite a lot from life insurance companies lately. :eek:
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just hang up. If I'm in a polite mood I might say 'no thanks' first.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I simply but firmly tell them that I'm not interested then hang up.
  • PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    I really dislike cold calls, but sometimes it can be difficult to get the info out of them quickly. When I was job hunting for instance, lots of people called me, so I had to be careful to sort out the calls properly.

Now when I work out they're selling something I say 'thank you but I'm not interested' at the same time as cutting off the call. I reason that if thy're genuinely trying to get hold of me- my bank for instance- that they will call back.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Silence. Works a treat, just pick the phone up and say absolutely nothing
  • ClunkClunk Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maurice45 wrote: »
    I simply but firmly tell them that I'm not interested then hang up.

This - and I may add (depending on mood), 'please remove my number from your database and don't call again'.

I never understand why people get into drawn out 'methods' of dealing with these calls.

End them swiftly = minimum annoyance to yourself.
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretzel wrote: »
    I reason that if thy're genuinely trying to get hold of me- my bank for instance- that they will call back.

You deal with your bank, over the phone?
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i don`t usually answer in the first place but if i do accidentally i just say i`m on benefits or live in a council house, they generally can`t put the phone down quick enough. the former works on doorsteppers too.
    Forum Member
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »

No, not in the sense of giving out information. Although I have done in the past and so long as the relevant checks are done, it's fine. One time there was fraudulent activity on my account, they phoned and alerted me so that was good.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buy a whistle.
  • TurbovisionTurbovision Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always ask them to tell me 'where they got my phone number from' as I'm on the Mailing Preference service.

If they cannot tell me where exactly they got my number from then I tell them that in that case I am not prepared to help them with any information they are asking me to give.
  • WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    i don`t usually answer in the first place but if i do accidentally i just say i`m on benefits or live in a council house, they generally can`t put the phone down quick enough. the former works on doorsteppers too.

IMHO it's good if you can get them to hang up.

In the meantime, there's this classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7OgWcwgB50
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My gran used to blow a whistle down the phone at them! :eek:
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,895
    Forum Member
    I always ask them to tell me 'where they got my phone number from' as I'm on the Mailing Preference service.

If they cannot tell me where exactly they got my number from then I tell them that in that case I am not prepared to help them with any information they are asking me to give.

Being on the mailing preference service wont affect your phone calls. You'll need to register for the telephone preference service if you want to try and reduce the unwanted telephone calls.
  • TurbovisionTurbovision Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooops :o

That is what I meant.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I've had a couple of silent calls and each time I've done the 1471 it comes up with that number.

The 3rd and last time I hung on and finally a guy named Andrew (with an Asian accent and poor English) spoke and claimed he was from UK Finance and had good news that I had won my claim for overcharges (never had a claim) and were ready to be refunded to me, all they wanted now was my bank details. I told him where to shove it and he then started to holler at me about dogs shagging my sister and then hung up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and so long as the relevant checks are done, it's fine.

What checks do you perform?
  • ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    Just do what I did and take the landline out problem solved
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

I do, it's called tele banking.
    Forum Member
    What checks do you perform?

I can't remember now, it's been a while since I used phone banking. IIRC It usually means you phoning them and using various passwords and info only known to you anyway. The phone call I was thinking of when they phoned me was when there was fraudulent activity on my account.
  • ClunkClunk Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    Being on the mailing preference service wont affect your phone calls. You'll need to register for the telephone preference service if you want to try and reduce the unwanted telephone calls.

And even that only helps with UK generated calls.

That said, I am TPS registered, and don't get too many calls. If I find the calls are on the up again, I just re-register (shouldn't be necessary I know), and they seem to stop again.

One thing I will say, and have said on here before, in a previous job I needed to call people who had expressed an interest in a particular subject (it was clinical research). We only had phone numbers from people who had completed - by hand - a form, with their contact details.

Time and again, you would get abusive responses, and demands to know 'where did you get my number' - followed by abject denial that it had been supplied.

I know this isn't the case for most 'annoying' calls, but sometimes people just forget who they gave their number to (and yes, I heard time and again 'well I don't give my number to anyone', swearing, phone slammed down - as I looked at a hand-written form. Sometimes they would call back five minutes later and sheepishly say 'are you XXXXXXX ?')
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The phone call I was thinking of when they phoned me was when there was fraudulent activity on my account.

How would they know, they were actually talking to the account holder?
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just hang up as soon as I realise it's just someone trying to sell something or whatever.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These days the only unsolicited calls I seem to get are automated recorded messages to my company mobile. So you don't get the satisfaction of telling a real human being to **** off :D

And they all come up number withheld which is a real bummer as one major contact I get calls from also withholds their number so I have no choice but to answer the calls just in case.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's a legitimate call and there's actually somebody there, I say, "I don't do business with cold callers.", and hang up.

If it's obviously a scammer or a recorded message, I just hang up.