Options

Some JSA Claimants now do not have to see an advisor

MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just been with a friend who visited me after she signed on today.

She has been on JSA since March this year and has been signing on and seeing an advisor every two weeks.

She was told today that claimants who have shown that they are actively seeking work and can be trusted to 'self job seek' as her advisor put it, no longer have to sign on in the traditional way.

She has been given three sets of forms to enter her job searches and these will cover the next 6 weeks, every two weeks for the first 4 weeks all she has to do is to drop the forms at the JC reception, only after the last set of forms are completed will she have a traditional interview with an advisor. I have seen the forms and all she has to do is to drop them off between 10-11 on a particular day with an actual time and date for interview only on the last form.

With the government apparently trying to clamp down on the work shy with sanctions for those not seeking work, I am surprised that they are just taking some peoples word that they are looking for work.

Comments

• Options
    iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theres no point to signing on anyway. I did it once and they do NOTHING to help. All you do is sign your name.. Point in that?

Never again will i go back there.
  • Options
    karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They did this at Barking but it was soon scrapped because the box wasn't secure and people's IDs could be stolen.

To the op, people could just lie to the adviser's face and said they looked. Where is the difference in putting the things in the box?
  • Options
    MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They did this at Barking but it was soon scrapped because the box wasn't secure and people's IDs could be stolen.

To the op, people could just lie to the adviser's face and said they looked. Where is the difference in putting the things in the box?

Thats the point I am trying to make, someone could lie to an advisor and make them believe they are looking for work, and because of those lies are then put on this new scheme as they are trusted to self job seek due to the advisor believing the lies
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree its no help the job seeker, but when it comes to fraud its a "start" a start only, but telling people they dont need to sign on, can only lead to more abuse of the system.

Still with all this talk of people exiting the Work Program, having to visit the Job Centre, 5 days a week, room has to be made for that to happen.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

People can lie no matter what. There's no way that they're going to ring all those employers to check. Employers won't like that, anyway. Most of all this is just smoke and mirrors to appease the benefit system bashing brigade. Anyone, with any sense knows that they can only go so far.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,012
    Forum Member
    I got three letters from them on Saturday.
    2 with a copy of a P45.
    The other one with my name and address at the top........
    And bugger all else,a blank piece of paper! :confused::confused:
    They are bliddy useless! How much tax payers money do they waste?
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those 'advisers' are absolutely useless. They sit there with a dour look on their faces making it clear that they think you are scum, and any jobs they 'recommend' are ones for which you do not have the necessary qualifications despite you listing yours when you applied for JSA.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People can lie no matter what. There's no way that they're going to ring all those employers to check. Employers won't like that, anyway. Most of all this is just smoke and mirrors to appease the benefit system bashing brigade. Anyone, with any sense knows that they can only go so far.
    In my experince the Job Centre will only check the jobs, they told you to apply for, so everything you bring to them, is going to be ignored.

Its why I have in the past said, to ALWAYS apply for those jobs, even if you are given you are unqualified for.

Still its been a while since the Job Centre even tried to give me a job (also employment) so that may have changed, but staffing cuts, mean its less likely to happen, not more.

I suspect the Job Centre, calling to check someone had applied for a job, would see that application form, go in the bin, as it suggests, the Job Centre was the reason they applied, not because they wanted the job for themselves.

The Job Centre know this.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iiHEARTy0u wrote: »
    Theres no point to signing on anyway. I did it once and they do NOTHING to help. All you do is sign your name.. Point in that?

Never again will i go back there.

This.

They either don't check at all, or just ask (and anyone can say anything). They certainly don't do any actual checking behind the claimants back, regardless of the way they sign on. They don't have the time or resources to check!
    Madamfluff wrote: »
    Thats the point I am trying to make, someone could lie to an advisor and make them believe they are looking for work, and because of those lies are then put on this new scheme as they are trusted to self job seek due to the advisor believing the lies

So what difference does it make?
    They either lie on the form, or in person.

At least lying on the form saves time. The problem is we have so many unemployed people that the Jobcentres are stretched to bursting - it's no wonder they have this scheme.

Besides which, it's only a small minority claiming JSA and not looking for work. It's hardly a big problem. Benefit fraud is at an all time low.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    don't bother calling then advisers, they're just glorified secretaries now!