trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
Forum Member
✭✭
Superb,bloody and very moving.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    I agree. Looking forward to next weeks episode too.
  • Options
    grumpyoldjoegrumpyoldjoe Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trunkster wrote: »
    Superb,bloody and very moving.

+1
    Very emotional stuff at times. Very well done
  • Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,159
    Forum Member
    The Germans won the World Cup and now they've won the Battle of Mons - is there no stopping them?
  • Options
    TelenautTelenaut Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Watching this on the iPlayer, the first thing that strikes me is the disgustingly inappropriate theme music. Who on earth thought that was suitable?

Update: seems the terrible music hasn't stopped.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    I wasn't sure about the music either but it was scaled back during the climactic battle.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Telenaut wrote: »
    Watching this on the iPlayer, the first thing that strikes me is the disgustingly inappropriate theme music. Who on earth thought that was suitable?

I think the idea behind the music was to make it's target audience (under 30s) relate to it more and help them connect with characters, I thought it was unique and actually worked quite well, especially with the tie up of the POV camera angles it made it feel a little bit more real, otherwise it would just be the same old docu-drama that's been made multiple times before.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Telenaut wrote: »

I havent watched it though I have been informed by fellow Quo fans. That a Status Quo track called April Spring Summer and Wedensdays was played in the show.

Was this the music that was played?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDoU3q1NaMw.

Whilst I love the Quo I cant see how that would be approrpirate.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    I think the idea behind the music was to make it's target audience (under 30s) relate to it more and help them connect with characters, I thought it was unique and actually worked quite well, especially with the tie up of the POV camera angles it made it feel a little bit more real, otherwise it would just be the same old docu-drama that's been made multiple times before.

The seemingly heavy use of the POV cameras put me off watching - can't stand them and will be glad when the trend for using them passes.

Shame as I really should watch something like this as both my grandads fought in WWI.
    Mum's dad lied about his age, signed up at 16 and ended up badly wounded and left for dead at the Somme.:(
  • Options
    merrim01merrim01 Posts: 2,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this was brilliant and the music wasn't really used as things got going. Should have been on BBC ONE in my opinion, would have appealed to all ages.
  • Options
    mds143mds143 Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it very much.
    The Story was mentioned by the BBC at the WW1 Ceremony in France earlier in the week, so it was good to know the Background.

Although a lot of men were getting shot right left and centre I mostly felt sorry for the poor bloke who was running backwards and forwards with the Messages.

I was really happy for him when he nicked the bike ;-)
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    mds143 wrote: »
    I enjoyed it very much.
    The Story was mentioned by the BBC at the WW1 Ceremony in France earlier in the week, so it was good to know the Background.

Although a lot of men were getting shot right left and centre I mostly felt sorry for the poor bloke who was running backwards and forwards with the Messages.

I was really happy for him when he nicked the bike ;-)

Heh, yes, I was thinking "take the effing bike!"
  • Options
    tigertimtimtigertimtim Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    yes the music as utterly ruined it for me ...didnt they learn from the recent Gatsby remake...totally inappropriate>:(
  • Options
    crisso69crisso69 Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Best World War One Drama sofar! I see it's repeated on BBC3 on Sunday 10th at 9pm.
    I liked the 'google earth' shots of the Mons area, showing you the locations of the forces and the relevant landscape features, such as the Canal Bridges. Apparently, in the actual battle, the Germans thought we had more machine guns since, the rifle fire of the Royal Fusiliers was so fast and accurate.

(Anyone else recognise Agnes' brother, George from Mr. Selfridge, as the Messenger/Runner ?!)

(Slightly off topic - I hope someone somewhere is going to make a 'Battle of Jutland' drama using cgi? - it could be quite spectacular if done well.)
  • Options
    Fish_and_ChipsFish_and_Chips Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the modern style would spoil it, but it was superb drama. I felt like I was there, best bit of TV I've seen all summer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    I thought it was brilliant, really enjoyed it, great acting. Music didn't spoil it one bit
  • Options
    GatehouseGatehouse Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Just caught it on repeat. The music didn't bother me; I didn't notice any Status Quo and I love PJ Harvey and quite like Cat Power, so that was just great. The poster calling them "terrible" needs to go and research their careers as they are highly critically acclaimed artists.

Obviously there's an element of "from a modern perspective, for a modern audience" to the show. But it wasn't wildly OTT like A Knight's Tale or anything! It did seem a little bit Hollywood-action-movie in places I think. The German's were worse shots than Storm Troopers for the first part of the battle...agreed that the jerky camera-angle was also slightly tiresome. The runner in particular seemed to be a drunk giant riding a supermarket trolley on a bouncy castle..

But it was good. I thought the overhead images with the men highlighted in white were brilliant and starkly illustrated just how the odds were against the defenders, it making me gasp out loud at one point.

Some very enjoyable performances from the cast. The South African Captain felt like a man amongst boys. Jarvis, the Scottish sapper, seemed to be channeling Peter Capaldi from TFOI at times!

Bit surprised that it was on BBC3. Isn't history BBC4's area?
  • Options
    AvillerAviller Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    Not that kind of history.
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw it on download and thought it was really good. The music didn't annoy me at all. Some of the filming such as the shaky camera work was a wee bit off putting.

The thing that put me off most, which was not much at all, was the fact it was set in August, yet it was clearly filmed in the winter. Imagine how thick those woods would have been in full flower and trees full of leaves.