"Not about talent" says Maria

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,923
Forum Member
✭✭✭
FROM THIS SITE:

Maria Lawson says she is upset The X Factor is judged on what makes good TV, not on talent.

The singer said she knew she was going to be kicked off the show even before she performed: “I knew I was going to go as Louis came to me just before I sang and whispered in my ear ‘I’m so sorry, I’m so, so sorry’.”

The decision should be about good singing, said Lawson: “It upsets me that these shows are not really about talent. It’s about what makes good TV.”

Lawson was unaware of Louis Walsh’s ties to her opponents the Conway Sisters, however. “I thought they just met once or twice in Ireland a while back. I didn’t realise they really knew each other,” she revealed.

She says she doesn’t mind the Sisters, but was upset at Walsh’s hidden interest. “I saw the picture of Louis beaming with the girls at Shane’s wedding,” she explained, adding: “I felt a bit sick. I’m trying to be dignified, but it does smell a bit.”

Not half as bad as you, you piece of old stale gorgonzola.

Comments

• Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she has a point. Why does she provoke such dislike on here? I can't see anything wrong with her personality or her singing. She was robbed on Saturday because Louis knows the Conways. It's not about talent. it's about the judges. :(
  • CandiceCandice Posts: 8,579
    Forum Member
    I too can't see anything wrong with what she's said. She's entitled to her feelings as it her dreams that were dashed based on, what she may see as other hidden agendas.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think she has a point. Why does she provoke such dislike on here? I can't see anything wrong with her personality or her singing. She was robbed on Saturday because Louis knows the Conways. It's not about talent. it's about the judges. :(
    I didn't see any personality at all, that's the thing :eek:

4Tune were also robbed by Sharon's judgement based on personal reasons.

She could sing, although she murdered James Blunt IMO, but she couldn't perform, so that's where she was lacking
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have to agree completely agree with you. Maria is trying to be dignified but it must really hurt to know that the show is not based on talent as some contestants know the judges. The show is clearly about making money and the judges.
  • Candy StoreCandy Store Posts: 5,125
    Forum Member
    That girl really needs to get real.

I said that though I didn't like her and wanted her out (well I didn't actually want her in the last 12 if I'm honest) I felt a bit sorry for her on Saturday because of the despondent look on her face but she's really starting to annoy me big time now.

It's not her fault but it's not anyone's fault other than the judges (all three of them) for hyping her up so much to the point that her fans and family and Maria herself genuinely believed she was going to walk this.

She is a good singer but so are others. She is OK looking in a mature former girlband member sort of way. She had little charisma and stage presence and all that plays a part in appealing to the public.

It's life. She's lost out on the chance to get a recording contract. If she's worth it she'll get a contract of some sort, big or small, then it's up to her to make the most of it.

In the big scheme of things she hasn't lost much. Please don't tell me "She's lost out on her dream", they all will except the winner and even the winner has no guarantees.

Maria is a Londoner, so is Sharon and a lot of the people around her advising her (ill-advising her IMO) to kick up a fuss. They all need to think back to what happened in London not long ago. That was REAL loss.
  • godlivesgodlives Posts: 6,050
    Forum Member
    very well said i think some people need to take a reality check
  • gazmatgazmat Posts: 440
    Forum Member

Are you mad, deaf or both? She's a sexy girl who can really sing and can confidently perform live to an audience of millions. Maria is in a different league to the rest of the X-Factor hopefuls (Brenda, Andy and, God it hurts me to say it, Shayne aside). With the right team and backing Maria could be a credible and commercially successful performer. The same is not true of the Conway Sisters (appalling), Chico (terrible singing voice), Nicholas (needs to practice for a long time in private) and Journey South (10 years slog to be the Robson & Jerome of the 21st century...). The show has become a farce which is why I hope Chico wins.
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    melanie34 wrote:
    I didn't see any personality at all, that's the thing :eek:

4Tune were also robbed by Sharon's judgement based on personal reasons.

She could sing, although she murdered James Blunt IMO, but she couldn't perform, so that's where she was lacking

Well I liked her and thought she performed well. Ive said before that I didn't care about her the way I did about Rowetta last year, but I think she was a lot better than the Conways, both in voice and performance.

I agree with you about 4tune as they were better than Chenai (I don't know how she got through to the live shows in all honesty) but 2 wrongs don't make a right, and I think Maria is justified in feeling upset.

In fairness, Maria didn't want to sing "Beautiful" but her mentors pressured her into it. I'm not keen on the song anyway (reminds me of a stalker). 2 weeks in a row she was given dodgy songs to sing.

I was really reacting to the OP calling her names. I couldn't see much to dislike about her, myself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gazmat wrote:
    With the right team and backing Maria could be a credible and commercially successful performer.
    That's what's missing, she could be but at the moment she isn't a good performer, I don't feel any emotion from her at all when she is singing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I liked her and thought she performed well. Ive said before that I didn't care about her the way I did about Rowetta last year, but I think she was a lot better than the Conways, both in voice and performance.

I agree with you about 4tune as they were better than Chenai (I don't know how she got through to the live shows in all honesty) but 2 wrongs don't make a right, and I think Maria is justified in feeling upset.

In fairness, Maria didn't want to sing "Beautiful" but her mentors pressured her into it. I'm not keen on the song anyway (reminds me of a stalker). 2 weeks in a row she was given dodgy songs to sing.

I was really reacting to the OP calling her names. I couldn't see much to dislike about her, myself.
    I'm afraid these things happen as you can see from Chico threads :mad: I haven't insulted Maria personally and wouldn't do that with any of them, I will only give an opinion on their performance from my point of view. I'm afraid she did nothing for me at all :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    Under the circumstances I think Maria deserves a good deal of credit for the way she handled her eviction from the contest at the weekend and the aftermath.

She hasnt turned around and blamed anyone or slagged anyone off. Louis himself commented on her grace in defeat. So she loses the chance to progress in a contest the judges evey week encouraged her to think she was doing extremely well in. On exit she finds out that the man who voted her out has now changed his mind and admits he made a mistake. She also discovers there has been extensive deceit about the former contacts and connections that he had with the act who he saved at her expense on Saturday. Under the circumstances I think she is being very restrained in her comments.

Add to that the inevitable stages of loss she is going through currently I think she has handled herself very well with dignity and I hope she is able to get the record deal she deserves. Good luck to her.

She doesnt deserve insults like the op gave.. thats just immature.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gazmat wrote:
    Are you mad, deaf or both? She's a sexy girl who can really sing and can confidently perform live to an audience of millions. Maria is in a different league to the rest of the X-Factor hopefuls (Brenda, Andy and, God it hurts me to say it, Shayne aside). With the right team and backing Maria could be a credible and commercially successful performer. The same is not true of the Conway Sisters (appalling), Chico (terrible singing voice), Nicholas (needs to practice for a long time in private) and Journey South (10 years slog to be the Robson & Jerome of the 21st century...). The show has become a farce which is why I hope Chico wins.

All this is your opinion. I have mine and all the bigging up of Maria and bringing down of other contestants is not going to change it.

To me, she had all the vocal and visual appeal, personality and charisma of my nephew's used nappy.

The show has been partly and momentarily saved from farce by eliminating at the first possible opportunity the most overrated piece of old scrag I've seen in any talent show.
  • Karl MarksKarl Marks Posts: 3,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it fair for Maria to now turn round and say that there's deceitfulness on the X-Factor. I think all the performers will be aware of the judges knowing some of the acts either on a nodding basis or more involvement, and we are not being told about Maria's own introduction to X-Factor.

If nothing else XF has given her priceless publicity on the back of which she could launch a successful career; she would probably have remained a backing singer and possibly a songwriter without the opportunity XF has afforded her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maria is unbelievably arrogant.

The other eliminated finalists were disappointed at going out of the competition, but left gracefully and are quietly getting on with working hard to see if they can get the big break.
    The happy, smiley Maria in the X Factor was all a facade for the cameras. She is showing her true and not very pleasant colours now.
  • metafismetafis Posts: 11,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Maria is 100% correct though, x factor is about ratings and 'good' tv, and also people revelling in personal abuse of the contestants, not talent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cute chick wrote:
    Maria is unbelievably arrogant.

The other eliminated finalists were disappointed at going out of the competition, but left gracefully and are quietly getting on with working hard to see if they can get the big break.
    The happy, smiley Maria in the X Factor was all a facade for the cameras. She is showing her true and not very pleasant colours now.
    ??

Louis has said he made the wrong decision, what 'true colours' are you talking about. The fact she has the temerity to say what is TRUE, that x factor is about tv ratings , etc etc , not talent. why dosome people who bang on about 'their right to their own opinion' critisise Maria for doing the same thing.
    Actually I think Maria has been very gracious to be honest, Id be hopping mad and would not have been nearly as contained as she has been under the circumstances.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She doesnt deserve insults like the op gave.. thats just immature.

Happens every time we have a show like this ,immature personal insults because someone doesnt like an act. The OP does has every right to say what they want though, as long as its not libellous. I think the OP though understands we also have every right to say what we think of their posts, within DS T&c's of course :).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like I said earlier in the week, Maria would have done well to keep her mouth shut and her feelings to herself for the present. She has been enjoying a huge wave of public support because of the way she 'acted' so graciously in defeat up to now. Plenty of time to dish the REAL dirt when she has established herself as a performer and got some nice deal all sewn up...buggered her chances of that up now. Fool.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why should she keep her mouth shut. she is entitled to her opinion as much as anyone. It shows she is honest, rather than delibratly pretending everything is fine, and only saying what she really thinks later on.
    Anyway, I dont think shes dished any dirt, or said anything most of us didnt already know!.
  • galenagalena Posts: 7,277
    Forum Member
    I don't think Maria is doing herself any favours here - at the end of the day she was in the bottom two and may even have gotten the lowest number of votes. I agree she's a pretty girl with a good voice but I've seen so many of those in reality shows who just disappear - Caroline from FA, Zoe and Rosie from Pop Idol 1 - so I've always been cynical about her chances of fame and fortune - still I'd rather listen to her sing than to Chico any day ...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a strange thing with Maria, imo she is definitetly more talented than the CS, she has always acted in an acceptable manner, the comments she has made are completely understandable and acceptable.... yet - I don't know why, i just don't like her and I'm glad she is out - I really can't put my finger on it, there is just something about her that puts me off.. :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    I liked her. Thought she seemed to be very pleasant and she had one hell of a voice, real soul diva type of thing (with the right voice coach) she had talent, thats what the show is meant to be about. IN MY OPINION the Conways don't have half as much. They are a good vocal harmony group but that's where they stop. They will never be a huge commercial hit like the Corrs. Maria may not have gone on to win but she deserved to be there longer than them.I agree that acts like Chico (who is really entertaining) make it seem like it is more about good TV than the talent but i can see him going in the next week or two. There is some genuine talent there, Maria was brilliant, but i agree she should wait until she has a record deal and is proving Louis Walsh wrong before ranting on. I can't wait to see the fireworks on Saturday night....Conways to go this week!!!
  • kazzykazzy Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spiv wrote:
    Its a strange thing with Maria, imo she is definitetly more talented than the CS, she has always acted in an acceptable manner, the comments she has made are completely understandable and acceptable.... yet - I don't know why, i just don't like her and I'm glad she is out - I really can't put my finger on it, there is just something about her that puts me off.. :confused:

I agree with you, all this whinging now is doing her no favours. She knew the rules, she was never going to win, she is getting more publicity now than any of the other evicted finalists. Louis did her a favour!
  • mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spiv wrote:

I'm with you, I afraid .. everything about her singly is something that I would generally like, but there is just something lacking to me - but I can't say exactly why or reason it out :confused: .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    I really don't know what Louis Walsh was doing. Every week Maria got great reports from each judge and they often said she was the best performance of the night. I thought she was genuinely talemted and deserved to be in the final 3. The Conways are really lacking something. My boss made a rather blunt but fair analysis of them - "They just don't match. One's too fat and the blonde one needs to dye her hair!" Harsh, but fair!