Worst accent in Britain

Comments

• bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ops_Monkey wrote: »
    Well said.. i too am from south liverpool originally.. North Liverpool accent is half put on to make them 'sound dead 'ard lad'.. :rolleyes:

I always notice with the Scouse accent that they make their k's sound like h's (lihhke) sort of thing :cool:
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,923
    Forum Member
    The worst are:
    Birmingham and Liverpool, especially if they're spoken with the lazy drawl of the riff-raff (:o)

The nicest accents are:
    gentle Bristol (e.g. Sid and Maxxie off Skins)
    gentle Westcountry
    gentle Scottish

I quite like the rural Welsh accent too, obviously :p
  • The Unknown OneThe Unknown One Posts: 21,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    I always notice with the Scouse accent that they make their k's sound like h's (lihhke) sort of thing :cool:

Definately a trait of the Northern brand of Scouse that. No one from around my way speaks like that. :)
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ludovica wrote: »
    I can... and I can tell Canadian (easily) from American

See I cant really tell the difference (But if someone said one of these guys is American and the other is Canadian I'd probably get it), however I can't understand how they can't tell the difference between Scottish and English accents, they are so different.

Now that I think about it, that whole paragraph probably answers its own question.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably because we don't here them both enough to learn to hear their differences. How many days are there where you don't hear a Brummie, or Geordie, or Scouse, or Scottish accent on the TV/Radio? Not many I'll bet. We simply hear these accents more often so we are more easily able to distinguish between them.

That'll do for an answer for Mrs S. Cheers Unknown One. ;)
  • boozer3boozer3 Posts: 2,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Canadians pronounce out sounds differently to Americans. That's how I can tell them apart, but apparently some Canadians don't like hearing that. :confused:
  • kibblerokkibblerok Posts: 1,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stoke :(
    Forum Member
    The Canadian accent is crisper and less drawling than most US accents imo.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boozer3 wrote: »
    Canadians pronounce out sounds differently to Americans. That's how I can tell them apart, but apparently some Canadians don't like hearing that. :confused:

They do indeed, it's very distinguishing in accents that are otherwise quite similar.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No accent in particular, just very common people.

Very, dare I say the word, chavvy sounding Cockneys, Scousers, Geordies and people from the South East (chavvy ones) sound pretty annoying.

Those are mine too. I find the chavy accents you mentioned very annoying...probably the way many brits hate some american accents. I highly favour posh english accents be they from the south, midlands, or north...as long as they're well spoken...ie accents I don't fancy would be like Brian or Tracey and esp Jade! from BB...ones I like would be like Jonty, Ziggy, Lesley, Kara, and Liam and the twins even. If Mikey from last year was a scouser...I didn't find his accent too bad if i remember correctly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really harsh common charva Geordie accents. The likes of Ant, Dec and Jill Halfpenny have lovely Geordie accents. Anthony Hutton didn't!

I Liked Anthony Huttons accent!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably my own :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brummie...it just sounds like a city of moaning 6 year olds.

Scouse.
    Bristol- even though it's where I'm from (I don't have the accent) I think it's pretty horrible.

I love the Geordie accent.
  • ned flandersned flanders Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'm not too keen on mine, i'm from the black country that borders staffordshire, but we dont sound anything like barry from auf weidersehn pet. just normal, no accent at all really. but i do hate brummy and heavy scouse accents, it makes people sound so thick, stupid and lazy. couldn't tell you why just really feel that way. apologies to proper brummies and scousers, nothing personal,fantastic people come in all shapes and sizes and with different regional accents but it is only my opinion, i have firm friendships with liverpudlians and brummies (my best mate is one!) so am not being nasty. thanks for letting me ramble.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything south of Yorkshire. :)
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really harsh common charva Geordie accents. The likes of Ant, Dec and Jill Halfpenny have lovely Geordie accents. Anthony Hutton didn't!

That's because Anthony Hutton isn't a Geordie. He is from Durham and now lives in Consett (pronounced Consutt by those who live there). He has a mixture of Tyneside and Wearside accent which is definitely not Geordie. ;)

Ant and Dec and Jill Halfpenny are from Tyneside and are therefore, true Geordies. :cool:

Wye aye man! :)
    Forum Member
    nethwen wrote: »
    That's because Anthony Hutton isn't a Geordie. He is from Durham and now lives in Consett (pronounced Consutt by those who live there). He has a mixture of Tyneside and Wearside accent which is definitely not Geordie. ;)

Ant and Dec and Jill Halfpenny are from Tyneside and are therefore, true Geordies. :cool:

Wye aye man! :)

It all sounds the same to me, as does Liam's accent from BB8 :o ... and he's from Co. Durham too.

It's the same wherever you go. People from outside will think that a Swansea valley accent is like a Rhondda accent or a Gwent accent... whereas Welsh people could spot the difference straight away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    I'm from North Liverpool but I like to think my accent isn't all that harsh. I certainly don't pronounce 'chicken' as 'chichhhkkken' and I'm understood quite easily by non-Scousers, whereas people with full-on Scouse accents tend to assume I'm Wirralonian.

I love Welsh and Geordie accents, but can't stand Brummie. I used to work with someone from Birmingham, and although he was a great guy, I sometimes dreaded talking to him as his accent was so droning and depressing. :o
  • digispecdigispec Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Eyesonme~ wrote: »
    whereas people with full-on Scouse accents tend to assume I'm Wirralonian.

Hehe, I get that all the time, but then again I am!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    n00b wrote: »
    Anything south of Yorkshire. :)

Don't you mean anything in South Yorkshire? ;)
  • ludovicaludovica Posts: 25,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See I cant really tell the difference (But if someone said one of these guys is American and the other is Canadian I'd probably get it), however I can't understand how they can't tell the difference between Scottish and English accents, they are so different.

Now that I think about it, that whole paragraph probably answers its own question.
    One dead give away is that Canadians say "oat" instead of "out"
  • ludovicaludovica Posts: 25,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boozer3 wrote: »
    LOL I ought to read the thread better. I just posted the same!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't Marcus Bentley, the BB narator a true Geordie accent?

English Accents in MP3 format
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get stick with my accent just cos I am from a little town of steel where everybody move to from scotland. Hence being called a "Plastic Jock"
  • The Unknown OneThe Unknown One Posts: 21,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spoken like a true Hyacinth Bucket! Do you have room for a pony in South Liverpool? :p

I don't actually, but I've noticed on Google Earth a few people round here do have a pool, not sure about the sauna. :D