Perfect dish size for Lasagne/Cottage Pie?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 653
Forum Member
✭✭
So I currently cook Cottage Pie in a rather small oval-shaped Pirex dish. Despite the recipe being for 4 people, you only really get 3 decent sized portions in the dish unless you wanted to serve a small spoonful to each person! This does mean that the mash is as thick as a breeze block because of how squished it all is in this small dish. So I'm on the hunt for a cheap dish that will provide 4 evenly-sized decent portions of Cottage Pie or Lasagne (which I really want to try but haven't a suitable dish for).

I've seen this...

Lasagne Pan

But it looks bloody huge.

What kind of size should I be looking for?

Thanks for any help. This section of the forums has been a huge help since I decided to learn to cook from scratch in January. So do forgive me for the daft questions I keep asking :D

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Measure or just take a visual at your current dish and then pop round the local supermarkets/homeware shops to find one that looks to be the right fit.

I have 3. One is small and will do two portions. One is over twice the size and can get 6 portions.

One is an oval but isw also quite deep so good if you want extra layers.
  • LaChatteGitaneLaChatteGitane Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is not that huge.
    28 x 25.5 cm and 4 cm deep. I seems perfect for 4 people for cottage pie.

You won't be able to put many lasagne layers in it. 3 max. if that.
    Four cm isn't that deep and you won't be able to fill it up to the rim as your lasagne will bubble over considerably. :)
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That looks like a good size of pan for four. When I am doing lasagne i'm only cooking for two so I make mine in a small loaf tin.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    That looks like a good size of pan for four. When I am doing lasagne i'm only cooking for two so I make mine in a small loaf tin.

Good idea, hadn't thought of that. I only cook for 2 and have to use one of my large trays. Good for making a batch and freezing some, but i don't always want to buy that amount of ingredients.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    The bigger the better - as you then have nice leftovers.

Also, make it in an enamel or metal dish - it counducts heat much better than pyrex or ceramic.