Man Down, upcoming Greg Davies comedy series

Pob-BundyPob-Bundy Posts: 1,321
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For once in a long time a comedy that actually looks promising, I hope it delivers. Brilliant casting getting Rik Mayall in as his dad, I hope that drivel Cuckoo becomes a distant memory for Davies as he is better than that imo.

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The synopsis split me as I like Davies and I realise he is slightly surreal and it's good casting to get Mayall in as his dad but it said his character was a childish idiot so i'm hoping it has some depth and not just surreal slapstick.
  • pearljpearlj Posts: 1,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this. Does anyone know the reggie song they use to promote this show, tried goggling it but keep getting Rhianna's Man Down.
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    The synopsis split me as I like Davies and I realise he is slightly surreal and it's good casting to get Mayall in as his dad but it said his character was a childish idiot so i'm hoping it has some depth and not just surreal slapstick.

I always thought Davies looks like a young Rik Mayall. Could they be distantly related?
  • TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the trailer, I'm expecting this to be terrible.
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to this as I love Rik Mayall but is it just me that thinks it's totally unrealistic to cast him as Greg Davies' dad? They look the same age!
  • MindbearMindbear Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I loved cuckoo, as I love Andy Samberg too, and I love Greg Davies too, so it was a winner for me.

Also, obviously they were going to cast Rik Mayall if they could, it's been a joke since the beginning of We Are Klang that Greg looks like a younger fatter Rik Mayall, I think the casting is genius but i'm not sure that it's going to be a good show regardless, as it sounds a bit broad.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rik Mayall is great...but as the Greg Davis character's dad???

I'll go along with it and give this a go though. Could be good.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    It's very daft and puerile, but it's Friday night and my brain has decided it's holiday time, so I'm enjoying this.
    Forum Member
    I just cannot get over the whole Rik Mayall thing. How on earth did they think it was a good idea to cast him as the dad? They look the same age!

I know greg wanted him in the show but couldn't he have casted him as his brother instead?!
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sitcom Down.
  • Simon_Smith3Simon_Smith3 Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    15 mins in and awaiting first amusing moment.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tribute wrote: »
    From the trailer, I'm expecting this to be terrible.

Lucky you - your wish was granted.
    When the episode was done. Acted, produced, edited and in the can did nobody stop to watch it and think "we can't possibly put this cr@p on the air"?

No redeeming features at all. That takes true genius. :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well....words fail me.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The shouting kid was the funniest part. The rest was rubbish so far.
    Forum Member
    It's just......awful.
  • StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    A writer for the Radio Times described this as the 'first funny British sitcom in years'. I'm beginning to think that they don't own a television.
    Forum Member
    A writer for the Radio Times described this as the 'first funny British sitcom in years'. I'm beginning to think that they don't own a television.

It's getting a hell of a lot of praise on twitter as well. Bizarre.
  • Simon_Smith3Simon_Smith3 Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    Perry Benson :)
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What the hell was that scene in the bar. I won't be watching this rubbish again. Was he high when he wrote this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To me this just seems like one of those children's comedy dramas for children's TV, but with a few profanities and sexual references thrown in to make it 'adult'.

I find comedies which rely on falling all over the place to get laughs very weak.
    But I imagine that I'll be in a minority as a lot of people go for that sort of thing and see it as funny comedy writing. A lot of people tend to find falling over and acting wacky as a substitute for wit and humour.
    Forum Member
    To me this just seems like one of those children's comedy dramas for children's TV, but with a few profanities and sexual references thrown in to make it 'adult'.

I find comedies which rely on falling all over the place to get laughs very weak.
    But I imagine that I'll be in a minority as a lot of people go for that sort of thing and see it as funny comedy writing. A lot of people tend to find falling over and acting wacky as a substitute for wit and humour

Bib - completely agree with you.
  • farlofanfarlofan Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was terrible.
  • Patsey10Patsey10 Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    I so wanted to enjoy this as I am a big Greg Davies fan, but I won't bother watching this again.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll give it another go next week, but I didn't find it very amusing either.

The only bit that made me laugh was Rik Mayall dressed up attacking his son just because it was so stupid and silly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to be in the minority who really liked it...