Microsoft announces Xbox event on May 21st

2»

Comments

• BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    From what I've read, Tuesday is all about the new platform and the people behind it.

E3 is going to be all about the games.

Might be worth keeping an eye on this MS Blog:
    http://news.xbox.com/
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    I also think E3 is when we get to hear about the games. It's only two weeks away so not that bad, good timing really by Microsoft as they can trickle out more info to the media each day running up to the event. Sony have had all the limelight the past two months but it's kinda fizzled out a bit now.
  • deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    .....the 'Xbox Reveal' event is on in less than an hour!!!!!
  • BrettBrett Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    10 minutes
  • spaceman05spaceman05 Posts: 1,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit of a curved ball there for all those that said it was gonna be called the xbox 720 lol
  • RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a bit of a curve ball for sony, Total integration with your home entertainment as they promised. that's an incredible UI that may well stretch beyond gaming and gamers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spaceman05 wrote: »
    A bit of a curved ball there for all those that said it was gonna be called the xbox 720 lol
    Just 719 out :)
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wheres all the excitement then? I thought there would be more than this!
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think people are just using the thread in the main Gaming forum...
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    Im not posting in that thread anymore. Microsoft could have announced that the console was free and was twice the power of the ps4 and there would still be people in there telling us how Sonys conference was better.

Its everything i hate about modern gamers. Its like you have to choose a side.

i for one, thought it was a decent conference. The console itself looks good, and I'm glad they've stuck with the same joypad design. It also looks very responsive and the new kinect seems to work well.

I said i was just about sold in the other thread and got called out as a fanboy:rolleyes:

Im looking forward the E3 now more than ever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    I think people are just using the thread in the main Gaming forum...

yeah, saw it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He4rt wrote: »
    Im looking forward the E3 now more than ever.

Its all about the games :)
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good overview and demo videos here from Wired sneak peek at the Xbox One

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/05/xbox-one/
  • kingdavekingdave Posts: 1,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've posted this in the main forum thread about which one people are getting from first impressions so apologies for the duplication.

Also have to say I am a current 360 owner with a Gold sub and love the machine. Never owned a PS3, but did have a PS2 so I'm no fanboy of either side and these are just my impressions from the presentation and what I've since read through links on twitter to gaming press articles.

I was underwhelmed by both presentation to be honest but there are a number of Xbox One things that are swaying me towards the PS4 (I never owned a PS3, just a 360)

- MS have confirmed to C&VG that you have to install games to the HDD to play them AND that each disk can only be used with one machine/XBL account. If you want to play on a second Xbox you have to pay an activation fee (but no word on how much this is yet). That mean no preowned sales, no piracy (for now!) and no lending the game to your mate for the weekend. What happens if you get something like RROD? Do I have to pay to play all the games I've already bought again?! Or if I have 2 consoles - I have to pay for 2 copies of the game? Join the real world please Microsoft.

- Looks like Kinect 2 is a must as well. Just not interested in this. Only used Kinect 1 as I was a beta tester but I don't care about voice commands, I don't care about gesture control but I do care about taking my Xbox into the spare room when my girlfriend wants to watch something on the TV. If I *have* to take Kinect with me to power the damn thing on then I'm out.

- Its fugly. And huge. I'm running out of space as it is under my TV!

- I'm not interested in media having priority over games. Yes, I like to watch Netflix, YouTube and SkyGo on my 360, but it is still used primarily as a games machine.

- I doubt that all those fancy TV control things he showed off will actually work in the UK. Can you see Sky or Virgin giving up their proprietary boxes over an Xbox?

- It's got a shit name. "All in one", "One for all" or whatever the One means just doesn't work for me. They'd have been better just calling it "Xbox". Will the next one be Xbox One Two?

We'll find out more at E3 I'm sure about whether my concerns are real, but until then I'm swaying back to PlayStation.

Just in addition to point 1, why is the games industry the only industry that thinks they deserve a cut of any sale I make of the product I OWN and BOUGHT further down the line? Do Penguin come knocking if I sell a book on eBay? Does Universal come knocking if I flog a DVD or CD? Do Ford ask me for money to cover their R&D costs if I sell my Fiesta? The industry needs to get over this and realise if we buy something, we own it, and we're free to do what we want with it afterwards.
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kingdave wrote: »
    Just in addition to point 1, why is the games industry the only industry that thinks they deserve a cut of any sale I make of the product I OWN and BOUGHT further down the line? Do Penguin come knocking if I sell a book on eBay? Does Universal come knocking if I flog a DVD or CD? Do Ford ask me for money to cover their R&D costs if I sell my Fiesta? The industry needs to get over this and realise if we buy something, we own it, and we're free to do what we want with it afterwards.
    You bought a license to play the game(s). You don't own the content on the disc (or catridge) and it remains the property of the publisher. This is covered by the software license. It's printed in most game manuals/visible on screen when a game starts and you agree to this (and many other terms) when you play the game.
  • IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not watched the event but read about it on the Internet and am a bit underwhelmed.

There doesn't sound like there is any stand out features except for the extra power. My PS3 has already got a 500GB hard drive and Blu-Ray so there is nothing special there. The extra processing power and RAM will be welcome but that is to be expected.

The discs being locked to one user isn't appealing. I often visit friends and take a game round to have a split-screen multiplayer session, this is no way piracy or selling a game second hand as my friend wouldn't be able to play the game once I've left anyway. Microsoft are going to stop this, essentially putting yet another nail in the coffin of offline multiplayer.

I think Kinect is really overhyped by Microsoft, I've had the original since launch and it just sits there collecting dust most of the time and on some occasions make the Xbox do some strange things thanks to its voice control when I am talking to someone nearby.

I also can't understand why they are calling it 'Xbox One' that is what a lot of people now call the original Xbox!

Will have to wait and see, after getting too many RRODs on my Xbox 360s I've always said I'll wait a bit before getting its successor just in case it's equally as unreliable.
  • denial_orstupiddenial_orstupid Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well its ps4 all the way for me now .

they want to charge me to play second hand games ? i shouldn't be surprised though xbox live is the biggest rip off since nick leeson and barings bank .
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i suspect the effective killing off of Second Hand Games will be a massive thorn in the side of this new console
  • deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    kingdave wrote: »
    I've posted this in the main forum thread about which one people are getting from first impressions so apologies for the duplication.

Also have to say I am a current 360 owner with a Gold sub and love the machine. Never owned a PS3, but did have a PS2 so I'm no fanboy of either side and these are just my impressions from the presentation and what I've since read through links on twitter to gaming press articles.

I was underwhelmed by both presentation to be honest but there are a number of Xbox One things that are swaying me towards the PS4 (I never owned a PS3, just a 360)

- MS have confirmed to C&VG that you have to install games to the HDD to play them AND that each disk can only be used with one machine/XBL account. If you want to play on a second Xbox you have to pay an activation fee (but no word on how much this is yet). That mean no preowned sales, no piracy (for now!) and no lending the game to your mate for the weekend. What happens if you get something like RROD? Do I have to pay to play all the games I've already bought again?! Or if I have 2 consoles - I have to pay for 2 copies of the game? Join the real world please Microsoft.

- Looks like Kinect 2 is a must as well. Just not interested in this. Only used Kinect 1 as I was a beta tester but I don't care about voice commands, I don't care about gesture control but I do care about taking my Xbox into the spare room when my girlfriend wants to watch something on the TV. If I *have* to take Kinect with me to power the damn thing on then I'm out.

- Its fugly. And huge. I'm running out of space as it is under my TV!

- I'm not interested in media having priority over games. Yes, I like to watch Netflix, YouTube and SkyGo on my 360, but it is still used primarily as a games machine.

- I doubt that all those fancy TV control things he showed off will actually work in the UK. Can you see Sky or Virgin giving up their proprietary boxes over an Xbox?

- It's got a shit name. "All in one", "One for all" or whatever the One means just doesn't work for me. They'd have been better just calling it "Xbox". Will the next one be Xbox One Two?

We'll find out more at E3 I'm sure about whether my concerns are real, but until then I'm swaying back to PlayStation.

I have to agree with pretty much everything you have said there!

Who ever designed the thing should be sacked...!!! The current black slim Xbox is a cool and sexy design - sleek curves, slim design, the lot! The Xbox One is a horrible looking big black square box (someone on Twitter compared its squarish looks to the first Nintendo console - which was also very square) - its damn ugly...!!!!

Also, the new Kinect design - looks like no thought has gone into that whatsoever....... hell - even the current Kinect looks a million times better than the square new one.!!

The fact that the Xbox One is not backward compatible is also a massive let down (even the Xbox Arcade titles will not be backward compatible)! What are we supposed to do with all our current 360 games?! Throw them all away so that we can start using the Xbox One? I have invested too much time in games just to chuck'em all out....!!!!

The tv features - not interested! I reckon about 95% of the population already have a set top box of somekind that provides all the tv features that they need already - I do not want yet another box under my tv (hell - the Xbox One can't even record stuff + the fact that none of the tv features are available to the UK on launch day - its only for the U.S. at the moment)...!!

The final nail on the coffin is going to be the price tag - some websites are stating that they think its gonna be around the £400 mark:eek::eek::eek:

To be perfectly honest - I will be sticking with my 360. Its a games machine - lets leave it at that. leave all the TV stuff out of it.........
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well its ps4 all the way for me now .

they want to charge me to play second hand games ? i shouldn't be surprised though xbox live is the biggest rip off since nick leeson and barings bank .

Keeping the 360 and buying a ps4 might be the best choice.
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I though the first xbox (not the one, the first) wasn't the best looking, the first 360 (the second xbox) was nice looking in whits with curvy edges and the second 360 (the fourth) was quite decent looking also although I never upgraded to that but the new xbox one (the fourth xbox) is a fugly rectangle.

The second hand games thing doesn't really bother me; I'd not too rapid getting through games and I can survive on birthday, christmas and special offers and rarely pay full price; possible exception may be GTA games.

I hate Kinect. I know that's a strong word, but I mean it. I hate the concept of waving your hands about to do something. Have done since the concept first arose. I hate the "look if I put my hands like this and squeeze my fingers together and then move them slowly diagonally together i go to the home screen" - I'd rather press the home button on a controller. And as for speaking to the telly, it is just wrong.

Backwards compatability. Meh. Keep hold of your Xbox360 until you've finished all your games then upgrade if that really irks you. Or, if you get a decent trade in offer take it and then wait a few months for the X360 second hand price to plummet and buy it back. I have a first gen PS3 that has PS2 native inside it. Never used it - too busy with PS3 games to dig out PS2 games.

Always on internet. Seems this is to verify you're allowed to play the game you selected. Wow you're happy enough to take my £50 but you're gonna treat me like a crook when I try to use it? Thanks MS, luv u too. Let's hope you don't start getting false negatives and stop a load of games without reason, those american kids just love a lawsuit don't they?

Using xbox to control my tv? Nah, my freeview box comes with a really neat peice of ergonimically designed plastic that sits comfortably in my hand, upon which are a series of pressable areas (called buttons) that can activate all the features of the system. And I don't have to talk to it or wave at it (see above).

It's nice to see there is still a traditional style controller available, gives some hope of some proper gaming to be had on the system.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    I though the first xbox (not the one, the first) wasn't the best looking, the first 360 (the second xbox) was nice looking in whits with curvy edges and the second 360 (the fourth) was quite decent looking also although I never upgraded to that but the new xbox one (the fourth xbox) is a fugly rectangle.

The second hand games thing doesn't really bother me; I'd not too rapid getting through games and I can survive on birthday, christmas and special offers and rarely pay full price; possible exception may be GTA games.

I hate Kinect. I know that's a strong word, but I mean it. I hate the concept of waving your hands about to do something. Have done since the concept first arose. I hate the "look if I put my hands like this and squeeze my fingers together and then move them slowly diagonally together i go to the home screen" - I'd rather press the home button on a controller. And as for speaking to the telly, it is just wrong.

Backwards compatability. Meh. Keep hold of your Xbox360 until you've finished all your games then upgrade if that really irks you. Or, if you get a decent trade in offer take it and then wait a few months for the X360 second hand price to plummet and buy it back. I have a first gen PS3 that has PS2 native inside it. Never used it - too busy with PS3 games to dig out PS2 games.

Always on internet. Seems this is to verify you're allowed to play the game you selected. Wow you're happy enough to take my £50 but you're gonna treat me like a crook when I try to use it? Thanks MS, luv u too. Let's hope you don't start getting false negatives and stop a load of games without reason, those american kids just love a lawsuit don't they?

Using xbox to control my tv? Nah, my freeview box comes with a really neat peice of ergonimically designed plastic that sits comfortably in my hand, upon which are a series of pressable areas (called buttons) that can activate all the features of the system. And I don't have to talk to it or wave at it (see above).

It's nice to see there is still a traditional style controller available, gives some hope of some proper gaming to be had on the system.

Well said :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keeping the 360 and buying a ps4 might be the best choice.

This.