Options

Great British Bake Off - anyone else looking forward to its return?

2»

Comments

• Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    It's a bit like if someone shouted at me in a shop then expected me to buy their produce. No thanks.

I also can't stand The Sound of Music so if that's the tone they are going for it won't be for me. It's fine - I can find other things to waste my time on. Like DS for one. :D
    If you don't watch any programme that has been promoted in advance then I don't suppose you are going to get to watch much TV.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I have loved it every year :)
    Can't wait for it to start again.
  • Options
    WhoAteMeDinnerWhoAteMeDinner Posts: 4,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I have loved it every year :)
    Can't wait for it to start again.

BBC are trying to get the Bake Off registered as an Olympic Medal Sport for 2020.
    That way they can still say they have some sports rights.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC are trying to get the Bake Off registered as an Olympic Medal Sport for 2020.
    That way they can still say they have some sports rights.

Why not as there have been Olympic medals for poetry, architecture, literature, music, painting, and sculpture.
  • Options
    StaffsyeomanStaffsyeoman Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quentin Letts has piled into GBBO in the Daily Fail errr Mail today for the Beeb turning GBBO into "stunt casting" and ticking all the "diversity" boxes, accusing them of going for PC box-ticking rather than actual baking talent.

Typical DM fare, but you can't help but suspect the faintest hint of a case to be argued.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3178064/I-adore-Great-British-Bake-does-right-Asks-QUENTIN-LETTS.html
  • Options
    testcardtestcard Posts: 8,202
    Forum Member
    I think Mr Letts has pretty much nailed it.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quentin Letts has piled into GBBO in the Daily Fail errr Mail today for the Beeb turning GBBO into "stunt casting" and ticking all the "diversity" boxes, accusing them of going for PC box-ticking rather than actual baking talent.

Typical DM fare, but you can't help but suspect the faintest hint of a case to be argued.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3178064/I-adore-Great-British-Bake-does-right-Asks-QUENTIN-LETTS.html

Ha ha and I posted pretty much the same as Quentin Letts but I said it well before him!!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So we have a 'black person' but just 'a gay' in your little world? Here's hoping one of your kids or grand kids turns out to be 'a gay'. It might teach you a much needed lesson.

Why do some people always try to create problems where there are none? People describe themselves as "gay" which is precisely what I did. Pray tell me, in your PC world what I should have said?

I have nothing at all against gays but if it makes YOU feel better having a go at me then so be it.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You cauld bet all of the tea in China that, had the lineup not been diverse, there would have been people, including some DS posters no doubt, pointing out the lack of diversity, how it is not representative, how the women outnumber the men (because we all know that men don't bake), and how it's middle class and white and stuck in the 1950's.

Come on, you just know that would be the case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    You cauld bet all of the tea in China that, had the lineup not been diverse, there would have been people, including some DS posters no doubt, pointing out the lack of diversity, how it is not representative, and how it's middle class and white.

Come on, you just know that would be the case.

My friend was shortlisted for the Sewing Bee prog and she was a way better sewer than many on there but she was too "ordinary". They were the same, they wanted a diverse range of people so rather than choosing people on their sewing merits it was just an old mish mash of people with very little in the way of talent and ended up with some horrendous and badly made outfits.

You wait and see, Bake Off will be just the same. People will be screaming at their tellies "I could do better than that!!" And we'll see some terrible lopsided and ghastly cakes.

In fact I might just watch this series so I can have a good old rant!!:D
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Why do some people always try to create problems where there are none? People describe themselves as "gay" which is precisely what I did. Pray tell me, in your PC world what I should have said?

I have nothing at all against gays but if it makes YOU feel better having a go at me then so be it.

No. You used black as an adjective; gay as a noun. There's a huge difference
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a new show starting very similar to this but on a theme of sex, The Great British W@nk Off :D
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did a search and couldn't find anything before i started this thread.

Another one falls victim to the DS search function, it sucks basically so don't blame yourself.
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big-Arn wrote: »
    No, not esepcially. Never watched it. Life's too short to waste it watching this fluff over something genuinely exciting or inspirational, like a well made drama or documentary.

If that's how you really live your life then more fool you. I'd proffer you don't get invited to too many parties.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    No. You used black as an adjective; gay as a noun. There's a huge difference

I said "a gay" just as I might have said "a homosexual" or "a lesbian." What's wrong with that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I said "a gay" just as I might have said "a homosexual" or "a lesbian." What's wrong with that?

The whole point is you said 'a black PERSON' and just 'a gay.' If you can't see the difference then I give up. How much harder would it have been to say 'a gay person/man/woman/bloke/girl.'
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

People describe themselves as gay but they don't describe themselves as "a gay" ... as well you know. 'A gay' isn't even correct English as others have pointed out. You must've lived under a rock these last 20 years if you think referring to someone as "a gay" is fine.

You'd never (I expect) refer to someone as "a black" because it sounds so well, crass and offensive and you'd get grief from everyone around you. You clearly have a problem using the word 'person' or 'people' in connection with 'gays' so your 'I have nothing against gays' line rings hollow. But strangely you don't have a problem using 'person' when it comes to race. Maybe you'd like to explain?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    The whole point is you said 'a black PERSON' and just 'a gay.' If you can't see the difference then I give up. How much harder would it have been to say 'a gay person/man/woman/bloke/girl.'

I think you are on dodgy ground, I am sure a quick search will find plenty of examples of homosexuals using the word as a noun or is like the 'N word' where IC3s can freely use it but anyone else doing so get accused of being racist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I think you are on dodgy ground, I am sure a quick search will find plenty of examples of homosexuals using the word as a noun or is like the 'N word' where IC3s can freely use it but anyone else doing so get accused of being racist.

Well there's an easy way to avoid it then. Just use gay and black as adjectives.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not looking forward to GBBO. It and others like it get on my nerves. Thank goodness for Netflix and Amazon Prime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it's sh*** and I can't understand why it's so popular. I have never watched a whole series but I did dip in and out during one series and was not impressed.

I didn't see much in the way of talent, I didn't like the weeping and childish behaviour and I didn't like those two women .... Mel and Sue? I don't call myself a baker at all but I can do it If I have to and my efforts would be easily as good as some I saw on there.

These type of progs are so predictable. There's always a black person, always a gay, always a snooty one, always an edgy one, a beautiful one and so on. Boring.

Good job I didn't say "a gay ONE." If saying "a gay" is so wrong I'd really be for the high jump. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good job I didn't say "a gay ONE." If saying "a gay" is so wrong I'd really be for the high jump. :D

Do you know what an adjective is?
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    I'm not looking forward to GBBO. It and others like it get on my nerves. Thank goodness for Netflix and Amazon Prime.
    You don't have to view its return with any fear or dread - just don't watch, and ignore any threads or news items about it!
  • Options
    Phebes4361Phebes4361 Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    OH YES!!! MEEEE!!!!! Cant wait..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tonight !!! hooray !! really looking forward to this.