Britains Best Loved Double act - Channel Five

owen10owen10 Posts: 127,789
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Im enjoying this programme showing all the great double acts of the past I wonder what will get number one i hope it is not Ant and Dec and it is either The Two Ronnies or Morecombe and Wise who get it

Comments

• BethnalGreenBethnalGreen Posts: 12,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    owen10 wrote: »
    Im enjoying this programme showing all the great double acts of the past I wonder what will get number one i hope it is not Ant and Dec and it is either The Two Ronnies or Morecombe and Wise who get it

Sadly you were wrong, but who do they get to vote for this? I seriously doubt that if the whole country was asked that And and Dec would win over Morecambe and Wise :confused:
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If this is a repeat of a show from two years ago then I'm sorry to have to tell you but Ant and Dec were #1
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ant and Dec aren't a double act in the way M&W were, they are basically presenters who crack a few jokes written by someone else. Can you see them doing the Singing in the Rain tribute ?
  • inverness1967inverness1967 Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any sign of the Chuckke Brothers lol
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Ant and Dec aren't a double act in the way M&W were, they are basically presenters who crack a few jokes written by someone else. Can you see them doing the Singing in the Rain tribute ?

If there's some exposed electric wires!:p
  • ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate Ant and Dec. What a fecking travesty.
  • spursboy68spursboy68 Posts: 4,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And M&W were only ever funny on the BBC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spursboy68 wrote: »
    And M&W were only ever funny on the BBC.

They had a very successful series on ATV back in the 1960s before they moved to the BBC. The problem was after the move to Thames Eric was never in good health again and they were limited in what they could do.At first they couldn't get their writer Eddie Braben to move to Thames or their producer Johnny Ammonds although both did eventually switch.
  • Bonnie ScotlandBonnie Scotland Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surely it's, to an extent, a generational thing? i'm in my 40's and fondly remember acts like M&W, however many (i'm not saying all before you jump down my throat!) younger people either won't identify with that sort of comedy or if they're in their teens early 20's they might not have heard of M&W and the like.

i don't know my genres properly enough to get this right but you'll hopefully get my drift, people thought elvis was outrageous when he first came on the scene, then the beatles were outrageous, then heavy metal, then punk etc etc.

people were used to comedians or comedic acts that came on, did their turn telling traditional jokes or doing traditional sketches. then so-called alternative comics came along, now we have observational comics many of whom fill arenas.

although there is a degree of cross-over between the generations i.e. folk that are 'before their time' etc, you must see my point? the cliched 'in my day ...' comments, many folk think the acts current to them are the best and will either poo poo or not even know acts from x decades ago. why should they?

not sure if that all made sense ... but i know in my head what i was trying to say :)
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never got the appeal of Ant and Dec. They read out jokes that other people have written, but are apparently hilarious
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They had a very successful series on ATV back in the 1960s before they moved to the BBC. The problem was after the move to Thames Eric was never in good health again and they were limited in what they could do.At first they couldn't get their writer Eddie Braben to move to Thames or their producer Johnny Ammonds although both did eventually switch.

Never found M&W or The Two Ronnies that funny tbh, despite the ratings. Very difficult to compare certain acts, as the tv landscape has changed Very easy to look at tv in the past through rose-tinted spectacles
  • wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basil Brush and Mr Derek.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regan & Carter.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never found M&W or The Two Ronnies that funny tbh, despite the ratings. Very difficult to compare certain acts, as the tv landscape has changed Very easy to look at tv in the past through rose-tinted spectacles

Born in 1969, I loved the Two Ronnies, but wasn't that keen on Morecambe and Wise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Born in 1969, I loved the Two Ronnies, but wasn't that keen on Morecambe and Wise.

I think most people of our age group would say that.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think most people of our age group would say that.

Born in 70, and I wouldn't. M & W are the best comedy double act this country has ever produced.

The Two Ronnies were a couple of comedy actors doing sketches.
  • Forever ChangesForever Changes Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Born in 70, and I wouldn't. M & W are the best comedy double act this country has ever produced.

hardly . Mayall and Edmondson take that crown
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,961
    Forum Member
    The Krankies, surely?
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hale & Pace

Game over.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I meant to record this but forget but if A&D won then I'm glad I did forget.

Little and Large, Mike and Bernie Winters even Orville and Keith were all a lot funnier than A&D.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sooty and Sweep
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ant and Dec were voted the best, no way! :eek:

What a trevesty :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume the people who voted were members of the production team and the result was a foregone conclusion to fit in with the clips available.I suspect even A&D would be embarrassed.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't need to watch the programme to know that Ant and Dec would top the chart. Pfft.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Ch5 consulted the public, all 60 odd million as to who the Best Loved Double Act are, Ant n Dec are we said, fair enough. FWD Fast 10 years it'll be Jedward