Who is looking forward to the BBC1s adaptation of the novel "Call the Midwife"

Comments

• roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stand by for Jessica Raine to be in everything as all TV companies usually "Milk" a success for all its worth (no Pun)
  • winenroseswinenroses Posts: 6,470
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    So what was the point in telling him she had nothing on?

I think it was a joke to tease him. They were a lot slower in those days as the pill wasn't available to most people and 'saving it for marriage' was the general thing. Unwanted/unplanned pregnancies were 'bad'.

I saw it that having come from delivering the triplets where she had wrapped the last one in her uniform dress, she was in her slip as shown. She then left, putting her coat over her slip and underwear, so she wasn't exactly naked anyway. Being a virgin, I don't think she did it there and then, just like that as it were, but who knows?

I agree that we will be seeing a lot more of this show and Jessica Raine though! :D
  • joules22joules22 Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smude wrote: »
    I thought the sailor wasn't going to come back and it took me a while to realise he was indeed the father. She was obviously so big because of the triplets. Didn't they spot multiple pregnancies back then?

She never saw a midwife to be examined properly.
  • joules22joules22 Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    winenroses wrote: »
    I think it was a joke to tease him. They were a lot slower in those days as the pill wasn't available to most people and 'saving it for marriage' was the general thing. Unwanted/unplanned pregnancies were 'bad'.

I saw it that having come from delivering the triplets where she had wrapped the last one in her uniform dress, she was in her slip as shown. She then left, putting her coat over her slip and underwear, so she wasn't exactly naked anyway. Being a virgin, I don't think she did it there and then, just like that as it were, but who knows?

I agree that we will be seeing a lot more of this show and Jessica Raine though! :D

I thought Jessica made a fabulous 50s girl, classically beautiful. I saw her as herself on BBC. She was still pretty but the 50s style seemed to suit her better.
    Forum Member
    joules22 wrote: »
    I thought Jessica made a fabulous 50s girl, classically beautiful. I saw her as herself on BBC. She was still pretty but the 50s style seemed to suit her better.

Yes, I love the pointy bras, sweaters and skirts which suit her perfectly as you say. The blonde girl is another 50s 'type', in the flashier 'starlet' mode.

:)
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    All of the midwives seemed to be quite upper crust. Was that a 'posh' occupation in 1950s England? Can't imagine how it could have been but there's no ordinary middle/working class girls in Nonnatos House.
  • researchshirleyresearchshirley Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of the midwives seemed to be quite upper crust. Was that a 'posh' occupation in 1950s England? Can't imagine how it could have been but there's no ordinary middle/working class girls in Nonnatos House.

The character of Cynthia's not posh though. At the time, yes, in many cases it was commonplace for "nice middle class girls" to go into this sort of work for a time when young.
  • GoobyGooby Posts: 1,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am going to miss this programme enormously. Such a fantastic and surprisingly challenging series. Not your usual Sunday evening mush - a lot more gritty but brilliantly counterbalanced with the humour of mainly Chummy.

I must admit I was a Miranda fan before watching this but I am really chuffed for her that those who weren't or hadn't heard of her thought she was brilliant too.

Not just the funny parts but the sad ones too. She was fantastic when she stood at the top of the stairs to tell the copper it was all off.

Great character Chummy - very real - Miranda normally plays more a caricature part but she really held up with the warmthness of Chummy as well as the comedy.
  • tennismantennisman Posts: 4,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gooby wrote: »
    I am going to miss this programme enormously. Such a fantastic and surprisingly challenging series. Not your usual Sunday evening mush - a lot more gritty but brilliantly counterbalanced with the humour of mainly Chummy.

I must admit I was a Miranda fan before watching this but I am really chuffed for her that those who weren't or hadn't heard of her thought she was brilliant too.

Not just the funny parts but the sad ones too. She was fantastic when she stood at the top of the stairs to tell the copper it was all off.

Great character Chummy - very real - Miranda normally plays more a caricature part but she really held up with the warmthness of Chummy as well as the comedy.

I actually think that Miranda (not to be confused with Amanda above:D) was better at the non comic aspects of the acting.

Her displays of confusion, sadness and joy and how she acted a relentless positive attitude at the birth of the triplets were excellent, let alone her portrayal of resolve once she had decided what she wanted and faced up to Mater.

PS I am not her agent but maybe I should try to be:D
  • jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tennisman wrote: »
    I actually think that Miranda (not to be confused with Amanda above:D) was better at the non comic aspects of the acting.

Her displays of confusion, sadness and joy and how she acted a relentless positive attitude at the birth of the triplets were excellent, let alone her portrayal of resolve once she had decided what she wanted and faced up to Mater.

PS I am not her agent but maybe I should try to be:D

I wasn't a fan of Miranda before this - her comedy does nothing for me - but (in common with a few other 'comedians' - Ade Edmonson, Rowan Atkinson to name by two) she can do serious/deep/drama amazingly well too, and hopefully we'll see more of this.
  • tennismantennisman Posts: 4,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't a fan of Miranda before this - her comedy does nothing for me - but (in common with a few other 'comedians' - Ade Edmonson, Rowan Atkinson to name by two) she can do serious/deep/drama amazingly well too, and hopefully we'll see more of this.

Interesting, jerseyporter, her comedy does absolutely nothing for me too.

I think she is a funny lady, however - I enjoy her on panel shows.
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree. I'm not a fan of her as a comedienne, but her acting is brilliant and I hope she gets to do more drama on the back of this.
    Forum Member
    Miranda is one of those people, a bit like Victoria Wood or Pam Ayres, who while not quite fitting in with everyday life, have been determined enough and blessed enough with the great good luck and serendipity to find the perfect niche within which to place their, shall we say, uniqueness. :o:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tennisman wrote: »
    Interesting, jerseyporter, her comedy does absolutely nothing for me too.

I think she is a funny lady, however - I enjoy her on panel shows.
    I agree. I'm not a fan of her as a comedienne, but her acting is brilliant and I hope she gets to do more drama on the back of this.

She seems a very genuine person who knows she's lucky to be making a living in a world that is notoriously cut-throat - if her comedy isn't to our tastes that's just one of those things, comedy being one of the most subjective arts there is! But her acting in CTM has been superlative - that first episode of hers (the second episode overall) when she was helping her first lady with her 'arse-first' baby was wonderfully moving and truly believable. And she just got better and better!

I haven't read the books (yet - hoping to put that right soon) but if Jennifer Worth thought Miranda 'was' Chummy then I'd say fate had been amazing in giving Jennifer a colleague like the real Chummy in the first place, before then giving her Miranda Hart a couple of generations later who just fitted her vision of Chummy to a 't'.

CTM can't come back too soon for me - and I really hope Miranda/Chummy is back with it!
    Forum Member
    She seems a very genuine person who knows she's lucky to be making a living in a world that is notoriously cut-throat - if her comedy isn't to our tastes that's just one of those things, comedy being one of the most subjective arts there is! But her acting in CTM has been superlative - that first episode of hers (the second episode overall) when she was helping her first lady with her 'arse-first' baby was wonderfully moving and truly believable. And she just got better and better!

I haven't read the books (yet - hoping to put that right soon) but if Jennifer Worth thought Miranda 'was' Chummy then I'd say fate had been amazing in giving Jennifer a colleague like the real Chummy in the first place, before then giving her Miranda Hart a couple of generations later who just fitted her vision of Chummy to a 't'.

CTM can't come back too soon for me - and I really hope Miranda/Chummy is back with it!

Here, here. Great post. Mother "Breech! What does that mean?" Chummy "Arse first." :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    winenroses wrote: »
    Here, here. Great post. Mother "Breech! What does that mean?" Chummy "Arse first." :D

Thank you - we can't all be wrong ;) !!

And what a wonderfully positive thread (on the whole, barring a few arguments about minor anachronisms!) this has been too!
  • Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really loved this and can't wait for it to come back although i have a feeling Chummy will not return:(. She was my favourite i love the last episode with her. I bought the book and have to say how hard it is to put down i just finished the chapters regarding Mary very depressing and am glad to have gone from those chapters. I like reading about the nuns. They have such a bad reputation here with all that happened in the Magdalen Laundrys that it is nice to see a series set in the 50's were they are predicted alot better.:)
  • Dawn SunDawn Sun Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chummy was my fave too, then Trixie (?),then other midwives, the nuns, the mums, the policeman....and finally Jenny Worth. Which feels terrible to write but I looked forward to the sothers' stories more than hers!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really loved this and can't wait for it to come back although i have a feeling Chummy will not return:(. She was my favourite i love the last episode with her. I bought the book and have to say how hard it is to put down i just finished the chapters regarding Mary very depressing and am glad to have gone from those chapters. I like reading about the nuns. They have such a bad reputation here with all that happened in the Magdalen Laundrys that it is nice to see a series set in the 50's were they are predicted alot better.:)

The nuns in CTM are Anglican, the Magdalen sisters were Catholic (I'm Catholic, know a lot a nuns and priests as friends - and no, we aren't proud of those who have hidden behind the veneer of religious respectability either now or in the past to abuse children and adults, but that doesn't make all Catholics bad). I'm unsure as to whether there are any stories attached to Anglican orders of nuns in the same way as the Magdalen sisters - but please believe me that the lovely, human, generous, spirited nuns portrayed in CTM (regardless of denomination) are the kind of nuns that I recognise in terms of behaviour!
  • Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The nuns in CTM are Anglican, the Magdalen sisters were Catholic (I'm Catholic, know a lot a nuns and priests as friends - and no, we aren't proud of those who have hidden behind the veneer of religious respectability either now or in the past to abuse children and adults, but that doesn't make all Catholics bad). I'm unsure as to whether there are any stories attached to Anglican orders of nuns in the same way as the Magdalen sisters - but please believe me that the lovely, human, generous, spirited nuns portrayed in CTM (regardless of denomination) are the kind of nuns that I recognise in terms of behaviour!

I happen to be Catholic myself went to a all girls school run by nuns i have never had any problems with nuns. I was just remarking regardless of the religion of the nuns that it's good to see them being depicted in a good light. As the Magdalen sisters were obviously not depicted as such with good reason but i do not believe that all the Magdelan Sisters were bad just a minority. If i offended you i apoligise.
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joules22 wrote: »
    She never saw a midwife to be examined properly.

I don't think they could tell if it was a multiple pregnancy until late on in the 1950's. Apparently, just ten days before I was born, my mother was told that she may be expecting twins which was a huge shock to her at that late date. She was told to come back in ten days for an x-ray (of all things) to see if she was in fact having two babies.

Early that morning, she went into labour with me and arrived at the hospital saying that she was supposed to be going for an x-ray later that day. The midwife remarked that she wouldn't need the x-ray now as she would know by the end of the day anyway. I think my mother was relieved it was just one baby as she only had enough for one, and her and my father were in a very tiny house.

I have often thought that it would have been lovely to have been one of twins, had we both have survived of course. As I have never had brothers or sisters, I used to imagine I had a twin when I was a child.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they could tell if it was a multiple pregnancy until late on in the 1950's. Apparently, just ten days before I was born, my mother was told that she may be expecting twins which was a huge shock to her at that late date. She was told to come back in ten days for an x-ray (of all things) to see if she was in fact having two babies.

Early that morning, she went into labour with me and arrived at the hospital saying that she was supposed to be going for an x-ray later that day. The midwife remarked that she wouldn't need the x-ray now as she would know by the end of the day anyway. I think my mother was relieved it was just one baby as she only had enough for one, and her and my father were in a very tiny house.

I have often thought that it would have been lovely to have been one of twins, had we both have survived of course. As I have never had brothers or sisters, I used to imagine I had a twin when I was a child.
    I enjoyed reading your post, I was friends with twins as a child, and often thought it must be lovely to be a twin, and always have someone to play with.
  • Bobby'sgirlBobby'sgirl Posts: 7,380
    Forum Member
    i am a twin, but my mum lost my twin early in the pregnancy and was told she was not pregnant, they didin't believe that she was still carrying me. She had previously lost twins before me. I am a child of the 50's and my mum was 43 when she had me. I feel that I am very lucky to have survived
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    I was born in 1963 and my mum was told that she might be having twins. She didn't, I was just big (at least 11lb, but I was born at home and the scale only went up to 11lb so I could have been bigger). She didn't have a scan or an x-ray though so they couldn't tell until the birth.
  • TheAuburnEnigmaTheAuburnEnigma Posts: 17,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a theory about twins involving left handed people:

10% of all people are left-handed
    10% of all pregnancies start out as twins (apparently)

So the theory wonders whether those who are left-handed were originally a twin. I don't agree with it myself but thought it was interesting enough to share.