Options

How much to get a driveway paved?

tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just seeing what things cost rather than making definite plans as its one of my dreams for the house, along with a load of other things.

Our front driveway is around 25 foot wide by about 15 foot long and half is concrete and the other half is big paving stones.

At a price of 21 per square metre for the paving and then labour on top (which I dont know how much this will be), what sort of ball park figure am I looking at if we wanted this paved?

Comments

• Options
    TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phone a few paving firms up and ask for quotes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tellystar wrote: »
    Phone a few paving firms up and ask for quotes

I dont really like doing that unless Im ready to follow through, Im just musing at the moment.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might be better to muse in metric(*) :D

25ft by 15ft is roughly 7.6m by 4.5m and is about 35m2. So that's around than £750 for the paving.

If it already has hardcore you might not need that laying. Labour anyone's guess but prolly depends on how large the new paving slabs/bricks are. If large slabs then prolly a day's work. If it's bricks then prolly two day's work.

At a guess I'd say you might be looking at £2,000 or £3,000 if hardcore is needed.

(*)'cos rough conversion can throw you as I found out. Assuming 1m=1yd=3ft produces a rough area of 40m2 and going on for £900 in cost :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    Might be better to muse in metric(*) :D

25ft by 15ft is roughly 7.6m by 4.5m and is about 35m2. So that's around than £750 for the paving.

If it already has hardcore you might not need that laying. Labour anyone's guess but prolly depends on how large the new paving slabs/bricks are. If large slabs then prolly a day's work. If it's bricks then prolly two day's work.

At a guess I'd say you might be looking at £2,000 or £3,000 if hardcore is needed.

(*)'cos rough conversion can throw you as I found out. Assuming 1m=1yd=3ft produces a rough area of 40m2 and going on for £900 in cost :o

crikey, as much as that!

I want the back doing as well.

And a wood burner and the fireplace knocking out
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    crikey, as much as that!
    Yeah. I looked into getting mine done a couple of years ago. It's a smaller drive (25m2 I think) it needed tarmac ripping up, hardcore layer putting down (previous owner had it done on the cheap and seems not to have paid for that), fresh tarmac and better drainage around the front of the property to handle run-off since the drive slopes toward the house. I was quoted nearly £4k.

Now yours may not need the hardcore work or the drainage but still..driveway resurfacing ain't cheap it would seem. I'm living with mine as it is and thankfully it doesn't seem to be getting any worse.

To be fair to my previous owner the drive is now going on for 20 years old and aside from being a bit lumpy it's basically okay. So perhaps hardcore isn't quite so essential. Then again I park my car in my garage so the drive doesn't get much static weight on it.

Edit: There's some example quotes here:

Seems to vary by location but seems to loosely agree with my guestimate :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like the driveway done, some of the garden at the back, new windows, new back door and nice new wooden front door. I want a new bathroom and shower and the kitche needs tiling. We have a boiler that doesnt work (for hot water) and I want the fireplace knocked out and a woodburner.

Out of that only the boiler is essential and yet in my head its at the bottom of the list.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seeing what things cost rather than making definite plans as its one of my dreams for the house, along with a load of other things.

Our front driveway is around 25 foot wide by about 15 foot long and half is concrete and the other half is big paving stones.

At a price of 21 per square metre for the paving and then labour on top (which I dont know how much this will be), what sort of ball park figure am I looking at if we wanted this paved?
    Depending on where the property and the extent of works £2800 to £3750.
  • Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    I'd like the driveway done, some of the garden at the back, new windows, new back door and nice new wooden front door. I want a new bathroom and shower and the kitche needs tiling. We have a boiler that doesnt work (for hot water) and I want the fireplace knocked out and a woodburner.

Out of that only the boiler is essential and yet in my head its at the bottom of the list.

In which case, you should have your head examined before worrying about the other items on your list.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ............. and the fireplace knocking out
    Have you tried sitting down and reasoning with it?
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Dunno why you keep starting these types of threads OP. I remember you saying only a month or so ago you are still paying off a 4 year loan for a refurb project, was it the kitchen (?) and you haven't got any money.

Surely the boiler must be your first priority as you said in another thread you haven't had any hot water for 12 months. You're just wasting people's time for no reason with your pipe dreams.

I spent a couple of hours researching and posting in your recent thread when you were thinking about buying composite windows, that cost a bomb, and you didn't bother replying, and not for the first time.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    A 2 car driveway in block paving will cost 3-4k depending on the exact size and drainage required.

If you want it cheaper you could always go another material, like gravel or tarmac.

I know the OPs a time waster, but its still useful information for others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    Dunno why you keep starting these types of threads OP. I remember you saying only a month or so ago you are still paying off a 4 year loan for a refurb project, was it the kitchen (?) and you haven't got any money.

Surely the boiler must be your first priority as you said in another thread you haven't had any hot water for 12 months. You're just wasting people's time for no reason with your pipe dreams.

I spent a couple of hours researching and posting in your recent thread when you were thinking about buying composite windows, that cost a bomb, and you didn't bother replying, and not for the first time.
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    A 2 car driveway in block paving will cost 3-4k depending on the exact size and drainage required.

If you want it cheaper you could always go another material, like gravel or tarmac.

I know the OPs a time waster, but its still useful information for others.

Goodness well I certainly dont mean to waste people's time. The composite windows (which I thought I replied to people on) were either for a property we were buying which then fell through or an idea I had for this house. I would still like to get something like that.

I do like having a pipe dream or two (or several) and one day these things will be done so I like to get some information from people who might have done it and also to see the pipe dream can become more concrete sooner rather than later.

Sorry and all that.
  • Options
    ste1969ste1969 Posts: 1,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    are there no travellers in your area that could do your drive it will only cost £500 then
  • Options
    dave clarkedave clarke Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow,some harsh bits on here.We wanted a crossover doing a couple of years ago and asked advice,just sent off a cheque today to get it started,posters could have thought I was a timewaster but eventually it might happen,even if is doesnt its only typing a few words not digging the drive out for her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow,some harsh bits on here.We wanted a crossover doing a couple of years ago and asked advice,just sent off a cheque today to get it started,posters could have thought I was a timewaster but eventually it might happen,even if is doesnt its only typing a few words not digging the drive out for her.

Well having thought some more about this I would agree. I was thinking that it took nearly 5 years to have our kitchen done. The delay was procrastination about design, ideas (odd shaped kitchen, fussy consumer), quality of units and different suppliers, price the list goes on and on.

I take AGES to come to decisions about how, why, when to do things, what the options are, DIY vs tradesperson, etc etc

and I find the advice on here really useful and sometimes I start a thread when some idea pops into my head about what I would like one day, it helps decisions about whether somethings viable.
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Hi tiacat,

What you should do in your future asking for advice threads is state clearly in the OP that it is a fantasy project and not something that you are seriously considering doing now. This is the first thread you have openly admitted it is a dream and not real.

There isn't much point in asking for detailed advice about how to carry out and price a project if you don't have the money to pay for it, as all prices quoted today won't apply in the future, and materials, fittings etc. will all be different in x years time.

I don't mean to be harsh and I appreciate some posters may not know how many threads you have started about your 'projects', but I have read all of them and contributed to a couple too in good faith, spending some considerable time in doing so, but receiving no reply at least twice.

Receiving no reply makes me wonder why you started the thread in the first place, and after deliberation I have decided that you are just sitting around at home being anxious and this dream pops into your head, so you think I know I'll start a thread asking for advice and see how much it will cost, and I can ask further questions and that'll take up some of my time and give me something to dream about, and I can pretend it's real.

Then you forget all about the thread and a couple of weeks later another dream surfaces, another thread is started and so the cycle continues.

It seems to me that you really need to focus on what needs to be done now, i.e. the hot water, and paying for that, and everthing else is immaterial. To be honest I can't figure you out tiacat. You are an intelligent informed person and doing a responsible job, and you make helpful posts because of your experience in this role.

But something isn't right in your personal life, and I wonder in my own little way whether you are asking all these questions as a distraction, because you can't face up to something in your life, something you want to avoid or don't want to think about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remembering of course no one forces us to answer a FM or to keep doing so.

But evil has a point, there is little more discourteous and ignorant then no reply or a one syllable one to time and effort, but many times a thank you is as good as it gets and why not.

I learnt that lesson a long time ago having written a long and detailed fix regarding a boiler and the side of a property falling out.

I had kinda of got involved which had me typing till the early hours over a weekend.

The reply, " will do ". :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    Hi tiacat,

What you should do in your future asking for advice threads is state clearly in the OP that it is a fantasy project and not something that you are seriously considering doing now. This is the first thread you have openly admitted it is a dream and not real.

There isn't much point in asking for detailed advice about how to carry out and price a project if you don't have the money to pay for it, as all prices quoted today won't apply in the future, and materials, fittings etc. will all be different in x years time.

I don't mean to be harsh and I appreciate some posters may not know how many threads you have started about your 'projects', but I have read all of them and contributed to a couple too in good faith, spending some considerable time in doing so, but receiving no reply at least twice.

Receiving no reply makes me wonder why you started the thread in the first place, and after deliberation I have decided that you are just sitting around at home being anxious and this dream pops into your head, so you think I know I'll start a thread asking for advice and see how much it will cost, and I can ask further questions and that'll take up some of my time and give me something to dream about, and I can pretend it's real.

Then you forget all about the thread and a couple of weeks later another dream surfaces, another thread is started and so the cycle continues.

It seems to me that you really need to focus on what needs to be done now, i.e. the hot water, and paying for that, and everthing else is immaterial. To be honest I can't figure you out tiacat. You are an intelligent informed person and doing a responsible job, and you make helpful posts because of your experience in this role.

But something isn't right in your personal life, and I wonder in my own little way whether you are asking all these questions as a distraction, because you can't face up to something in your life, something you want to avoid or don't want to think about.

Oh crikey, I seem to have really upset you!

Well I can only say that I have lots of plans for the house, none of them are pure fantasy, they all need doing at some point but asking questions and musing about them is the only way I can tell whether something is viable now, or later. In our house the concept of 'no money' is a bit elastic, theres always some for something I want to do.

I wouldnt say Im anxious about these things, more curious, but I do research things to the nth degree and become absorbed in an idea to figure out what I will do about it.

Im reallly not aware that I have ignored answers and sorry if I have, although I admit that I find it hard if something drops off the front page to find the bluddy thing again because I am so unsuccessful at searching.

Good attempt at the pop psychology though, close but no cigar Im afraid! Im just someone that jumps from thing to thing until I do the thing.

We'll fix the boiler but its not at the top of the list, it doesnt affect us in any way and there are more interesting things to do first!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We'll fix the boiler but its not at the top of the list, it doesnt affect us in any way and there are more interesting things to do first!
    Yup, if the bloody thing works or a repair will do it, and it's doing its job for you, leave the damn thing, money first spent better elsewhere,---unless you do the kitchen first. :)