Hollyoaks Recap -The bus crash storyline

dublintvfandublintvfan Posts: 5,074
Forum Member
thought of a fun idea to recap old story's and your thoughts on how they Played out
So the first one is Hollyoaks wedding day bus crash:

2 months have past since Hollyoaks wedding day bus crash but did
it really make a memorable impact or was it just an excuse for a cast cull?
I have to admit the week was amazing but looking at the awful aftermath i cant help feel it wont go down in Ho history like the fire at the dog did, that had really emotion and a decent aftermath unlike this

so what do you think was it handled the wrong way?

Comments

• priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Rhys death and the characters it affected was dealt with well.
    However the actual crash didnt have an impact on the village as a whole, noone seems shocked or affected.
    In HO when something major happens (Silas on the run, Dr B getting off murder, Mercedes basically trying to steal from the locals with the whole Bobby ransom thing, Rileys murder, Walker on the run) it doesnt seem to impact or affect anyone.
    Aftermaths are not something HO does well but HO has been on top form.
  • dublintvfandublintvfan Posts: 5,074
    Forum Member
    priscilla wrote: »
    I think Rhys death and the characters it affected was dealt with well.
    However the actual crash didnt have an impact on the village as a whole, noone seems shocked or affected.
    In HO when something major happens (Silas on the run, Dr B getting off murder, Mercedes basically trying to steal from the locals with the whole Bobby ransom thing, Rileys murder, Walker on the run) it doesnt seem to impact or affect anyone.
    Aftermaths are not something HO does well but HO has been on top form.

Although they handled sarahs death , the dog fire, and Hannahs anerxia with good aftermaths kirkwood handled them quite well
  • GoosebeeGoosebee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    I love the idea of a retrospective thread. For me the crash week itself ticked all the right boxes and most crucially got me watching again regularly for the first time in years (I haven't missed an episode since!) I do believe in some ways however the wrong cast were killed off. Particularly Rhys and Maddie who had so much more scope.

The aftermath has also been terrible. Docyou was to me a cop out- so much happened which should have been shown in the main show and furthermore too many characters were changed to react to the storyline. People seemed to ignore Barts involvement in a bid to make life tougher for Esther. Ruby was too forgiving in a bid to make things tougher for Esther - Jonno was meant to be the love of her life.

I also believe the Tony and Jacqui reveal was annoying. Te way it was kept secret for so long that Tony knew I never understood that he would do that for cindy or if he did he would be less brazen about it. I know many will argue he did it for Jacqui but taking cindy to the mcqueens Christmas when he knew it would eventually come out. It just seemed contrived and irrational.

Overall I guess I didn't quite love these episodes as much as I thought. Either that or the aftermath was just dire...
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although they handled sarahs death , the dog fire, and Hannahs anerxia with good aftermaths kirkwood handled them quite well

True. Kirkwood doing a good job at HO, out of all the soaps I watch I'm currently enjoying HO more.

I think the crash was used as a cast cull as well as something to continue the bullying (Maddie last words, completely ignoring Barts involvement and total blame on Esther)
  • dublintvfandublintvfan Posts: 5,074
    Forum Member
    Goosebee wrote: »
    I love the idea of a retrospective thread. For me the crash week itself ticked all the right boxes and most crucially got me watching again regularly for the first time in years (I haven't missed an episode since!) I do believe in some ways however the wrong cast were killed off. Particularly Rhys and Maddie who had so much more scope.

The aftermath has also been terrible. Docyou was to me a cop out- so much happened which should have been shown in the main show and furthermore too many characters were changed to react to the storyline. People seemed to ignore Barts involvement in a bid to make life tougher for Esther. Ruby was too forgiving in a bid to make things tougher for Esther - Jonno was meant to be the love of her life.

I also believe the Tony and Jacqui reveal was annoying. Te way it was kept secret for so long that Tony knew I never understood that he would do that for cindy or if he did he would be less brazen about it. I know many will argue he did it for Jacqui but taking cindy to the mcqueens Christmas when he knew it would eventually come out. It just seemed contrived and irrational.

Overall I guess I didn't quite love these episodes as much as I thought. Either that or the aftermath was just dire...

The doc you thing made no sense to me either, if they are gonna kill of that many students it should have had the aftermath in the show