Tomb Raider Underworld

156418156418 Posts: 1,806
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know this game is fairly old now, but I got a copy cheaply recently to have a play through, but wow ,how did this get released?

The collision detection, controls and camera are awful I was hoping for something at least on par with the first Uncharted game but no suck luck.

Another long running franchise that should have been put to sleep some time back me thinks!

Comments

• DoctorbDoctorb Posts: 3,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to agree with you, even for Crystals efforts it was for me, unplayable. Gave up after the second level.

The TR games now are just concentrated on story, Lara and a bland Tomb raiderish looking wallpaper graphics.
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know what you mean, I've had the game for ages now but gave up on it at a certain point. I'm trapped in one location with no way out, there's just no way to leave the area at all. I've looked at guides and everything, but the route they describe just isn't present in the game.
  • 156418156418 Posts: 1,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm only a little way in, where you get the thing to strap onto Laras hand and the guys come and take it away, but it's taken me ages to get that far. The level with the ugly octopus thing was made difficult as Lara had trouble jumping onto things and getting trapped in small spaces in the water.

I feel like just putting it in the bin and never speaking of it again, how the likes of IGN could give it 7+ I don't know
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,687
    Forum Member
    I thought it hightly playable, and more enjoyable than the rather dreary Uncharted 2, which I've yet to summon up enough enthusiasm to actually finish.

But each to their own, of course.

Regards

Mark
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I love Tomb Raider and I really like this game, but I agree with the camer thing. It's the single most annoying thing in the game. I'm constantly having to readjust it to make sure I know where I am jumping to, and also have died many times because of shoddy camera angles.

Another thing is that if she runs into an object she'll often just stop and the controller will become unresponsive until you do something like jump or fire your gun... otherwise she kind of just bounces.

Still, overall it's a great game. I started playing it again yesterday.
  • Jamandell (d69)Jamandell (d69) Posts: 3,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this game. Was completely addicted and finished it in a couple of weeks
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Tomb Raider Underworld a lot, they can keep churning out these games cos I'll always buy them.

Can't wait for the next instalment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The downloadable level "Beneath The Ashes" is pretty damn awesome.

Love TR games... haters be damned!
  • SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, I really loved this game too.

I had a few issues, the usual dodgy camera and once or twice getting my foot stuck on the scenery, but other than that I thought it was good.

I've played the Beneath the Ashes and Lara's Shadow DLC too.
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    Monkeylord wrote: »
    The downloadable level "Beneath The Ashes" is pretty damn awesome.

Love TR games... haters be damned!

I've been debating about downloading that but I'm gonna go ahead and do it.

I had no problems with the controls at all.

The only annoying part was the section underwater at the beginning of the game arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    156418 wrote: »
    The collision detection, controls and camera are awful I was hoping for something at least on par with the first Uncharted game but no suck luck.

Another long running franchise that should have been put to sleep some time back me thinks!

I enjoyed Underworld even though the series has lots its spark, I would probably have enjoyed it more if Uncharted hadn't come along and out Tomb Raidered the Tomb Raider seres :p

Uncharted was a fresh new character with a good story while Tomb Raider was the same old thing again.
  • dawndavenportdawndavenport Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoy it but I have to leave spaces of 2 weeks between playing it because I get so frustrated. I can also barely play it without using a walkthrough - some of it is incredibly random, for example the level with the pool of blue liquid when you have to jump onto the thor statue and get up onto the hammer...it baffled me for a good day or two until I gave up and went the walkthrough.

If they'd fix the awful camera, it'd be amazing.
  • barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved this game. Finshed it within a few days, got totally addicted to it! I agree the controls were a bit of a nuisance at times but I really enjoyed the storyline and the levels were challenging yet fun to play.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was really enjoying it until I accidently deleted my saved game and couldn't get into it again.
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed the angel of darkness its just a shame the controls were so bloody awful.

I thought the storyline was fantastic
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anybody remember how to do the one shot kill manoeuvre, where everything gos slow-mo while you aim?
  • Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anybody remember how to do the one shot kill manoeuvre, where everything gos slow-mo while you aim?

http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/underworld/walkthrough/cheats.html

look at that link

(cheating, but each to his own) :D
  • deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    I think the last third of this game was a bit of a let down.

The part where Lara finds her Doppelgänger and then you have to traverse back through the last levels of the game but in a reverse order.