50th Disappointment: I guess we'll never get a Female Doctor...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,402
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I really thought the whole thing which would 'change Who forever' (as Moffatt teased!) was going to be the next doctor being female.. and Matt Smith's doctor seeing that future female version at the end of TNOTD.

I knew about the John Hurt news but still, I thought maybe that was to put us off from the real deal. So far, I'm not that excited for the 50th, I expected so much more from the series seven finale... even the whole Clara mystery was a let-down as it was pretty much mapped out for her to be what she was. There was no "Oooh!" moment of shock.. River's ending, having watched it again and again, although it was emotional... she did NOT deserve to be sidelined like that, especially if it was Alex Kingston's last appearance.

I'm hoping Moffatt has plans for River to return, otherwise, that was a big fail. Yeah, so I'm not feeling very optimistic about the 50th and it's made worse by us having to wait till November!! WHY!? Why are there no specials in the middle of the year, this is the grand 50th year... there should be DW throughout!! :mad::mad:

Comments

• vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are they having the special in November, no idea why, none at all... all must hate Moffat
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    Well, I cannot imagine anything better than John Hurt's face in the last scene (although the scene was partly ruined by the announcement, marketing, marketing...).

I don't want a female Doctor, to me this would mean the Doctor is not the Doctor anymore.

As for River's return: YES. Alex Kingston was terrific in this episode.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Considering the racial diversity on Earth and throughout the universe it's surprising that every doctor has been a caucasian male.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Considering the racial diversity on Earth and throughout the universe it's surprising that every doctor has been a caucasian male.

Well the next Doctor will be a Black Female.

On a serious note I would love to see both a Black (or any other race) Doctor or a female Doctor I really will never see the problem with it
  • lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's crap we have to wait until November. I've said a lot about this already.
    I've also said why a female Doctor would essentially kill the show, but I believe you are trolling, sir, so won't bother this time :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    And the next Doctor is...

Hila (Hide)

Isn't it obvious? :-)
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really thought the whole thing which would 'change Who forever' (as Moffatt teased!) was going to be the next doctor being female.. and Matt Smith's doctor seeing that future female version at the end of TNOTD.

I knew about the John Hurt news but still, I thought maybe that was to put us off from the real deal. So far, I'm not that excited for the 50th, I expected so much more from the series seven finale... even the whole Clara mystery was a let-down as it was pretty much mapped out for her to be what she was. There was no "Oooh!" moment of shock.. River's ending, having watched it again and again, although it was emotional... she did NOT deserve to be sidelined like that, especially if it was Alex Kingston's last appearance.

I'm hoping Moffatt has plans for River to return, otherwise, that was a big fail. Yeah, so I'm not feeling very optimistic about the 50th and it's made worse by us having to wait till November!! WHY!? Why are there no specials in the middle of the year, this is the grand 50th year... there should be DW throughout!! :mad::mad:

Of course we'll never get a female doctor - the character is and always has been male, just as James Bond has always been male. Were you seriously expecting this established fact to change?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having a female doctor just because it feels like the right time would kill the show dead.
    this isn't some sexist outdated view its like if Voyager had been cast with another male captain the dynamics would have been wrong for the situation.

DrWho has provided fans with numerous powerful females and The Rani could easily come back to provide a long running one for the doctor (which I would love).

maybe this is more shocking off camera

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2013/mar/27/doctor-who-female-writers
    Forum Member
    Moneypenny is and always has been a white female......oh wait a mo.

Watson has recently been played by an Asian female.
  • MobesMobes Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    AFAIK Time Lords don't change sex so it's a non issue, no?

The Time Lords will soon be back so Im sure we'll get some cool female ones then :)
    Forum Member
    Mobes wrote: »

How do we know that it's never been said they can't

In fact when 10 regenerated into 11 11 did say "I'm a girl" now while seemed a bit of a shock it didn't appear to be impossible.

Plus now he has taken some of River's regenerations maybe they will be female regenerations
  • mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moneypenny is and always has been a white female......oh wait a mo.

but the appropriate part there is FEMALE, race has nothing to do with it.

Watson has recently been played by an Asian female.

Again hardly relevant, after all Holmes and Watson lived in Victorian England at 221b Baker Street, not a flat in New York. Nor was Mrs Hudson a trnasvestite. And I don't ever recall Conan Doyle writing anything about Holmes and Moriarty conversing by iPhone. Elementary is to all intents and purposes a total re-imagining of the Serlock Holmes stories. Doctor Who is a series that has endured for 50 years with it's own heritage and back story.
    Forum Member
    mrprosser wrote: »
    but the appropriate part there is FEMALE, race has nothing to do with it.

First off forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm not a James Bond fan

In the books and first 30 years of film wasn't M a man until Judi Dench came along
    Forum Member
    Things move on. There are many changes in Doctor Who since it first came on air. Bond has been rebooted.

Something will have to change if Doctor Who goes on for many years yet with the regeneration limit problem they will have.

Caught some discussion on it in here a few days ago and the major fans of the show have differing opinions on how to deal with it, if they deal with it at all.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Mobes wrote: »

The Time Lords will soon be back so Im sure we'll get some cool female ones then :)

Actually there was at least one Time Lord who did just that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PDyuGoKypk

But I'm assuming this was a rarity given that all the Time Lords we have seen have stayed the same sex through each incarnation.

The problem with a female Doctor, as I keep mentioning, is that after having 11 male actors in the role across 50 years, the character is now firmly established as a man. In the public's view, a female Doctor would be about as bizarre as a female James Bond. It would just seem out of place and gimmicky to a lot of people.

Unless that changes, which I am doubtful it will, we're very unlikely to ever see it happen. It would cause a disaster for the ratings.
    Forum Member

Unless that changes, which I am doubtful it will, we're very unlikely to ever see it happen. It would cause a disaster for the ratings.

TBH I doubt most casual fans would care and while a few die hard fans may even they couldn't stop watching
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First off forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm not a James Bond fan

In the books and first 30 years of film wasn't M a man until Judi Dench came along

Yeah and that was a mistake.

There will, and should never be, a female Who.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    TBH I doubt most casual fans would care and while a few die hard fans may even they couldn't stop watching

I don't know, whenever the subject comes up the majority are always against it. But of course the internet only represents a minority of the viewers so you could be right, but I just can't see it somehow.

It's not something I'm completely opposed to myself even if it would seem odd at first, but it seems like an unnecessary risk to take.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    jackbell wrote: »

You're joking, right?

Although I'm no great fan of the Brosnan films, Dench's M in the Craig era was amazing - they were able to mine depths from both M being a bureaucrat and a boss, and from being a woman.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I knew about the John Hurt news but stil...

You're assuming that John Hurt is playing a male character. The Doctor has a secret he's been hiding all his life. There was one incarnation that gave in to their secret desire, they had another name:

Amanda
  • 16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good. There should never be a female Doctor.
  • GilaGoraGilaGora Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm all for better female representation on television, but the Doctor is biologically male. Simple as that. A black Doctor would be fine but giving him a sex change? Too far.
  • GilaGoraGilaGora Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »

There will, and should never be, a female Who.

I disagree with you on the first point mate, Judi Dench was fantastic as M. I agree with the second point though. The Doctor is a male character and should remain so.
  • LeslieGruffordLeslieGrufford Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    I DEMAND Buffy the Vampire slayer be a male when they do the movie, Mary Poppins also be a man, and I will be VERY disappointed if Miss Marple EVER came back female!!!!! The time is NOW!
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Doctor should never be female. All of my friends and myself who purchase, collect and watch the show would stop watching and stop collecting. We have discussed this at great length before because it seems to come up on this forum every other week.

For all of you who, for some unknown reason, keep wanting The Doctor to be female, just give it up. The Doctor is the only good male role model that we have on the show. Women have every single sidekick being amazing. Also, every single episode seems to have some random, amazing woman who can save the world. While us men have one character with whom to relate: The Doctor. If you made him female, there would be no reason whatsoever to watch the show for most of us.

If you want a show with a female Time Lord there is The Rani or River Song for that.