Options

Adieu To The Wii U!

DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,410
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Retailers have been informed by Nintendo that the last orders (should they want any) of the Wii U will have to be placed by 1st October. With the Nintendo NX coming up this marks the lifetime end (though many might say it died a while ago) of the beleaguered console, Nintendo's lowest selling major domestic machine.

http://gametransfers.com/nintendo-will-no-longer-accept-wii-u-orders-from-30-september/

In retrospect what are you opinions of the Wii U and its tough life?

For me it's a great console essentially ruined by 3 things

- Terrible marketing and identity

- A unique feature that Nintendo thought was strong enough to be a system seller, when it wasn't

- A lack of third party titles, especially ones that appealed to Western consumers.

However I think that (like the Neo Geo, Dreamcast etc.) people will be kinder in the future looking back on the Wii U. Although it suffered an annoyingly long wait between great games you look at its exclusives catalogue its not too shabby

Great games (IMO)

Super Mario 3D World
Mario Kart 8
Pikmin 3
Bayonetta 2
Splatoon
Super Smash Bros.
Monster Hunter 3
Super Mario Maker
Xenoblade Chronicles
Zelda: Wind Waker remastered

Good Games

Toad Treasure Tracker
Nintendoland
DK; Tropical Feeze
Lego City Undercover
The Wonderful 101
Hyrule Warriors
New SMB:U

And there will be the major swansong that is 'Zelda: Breath Of The Wild'.

Nintendo have stated that they've learnt a lot from the Wii U's poor performance, so here's hoping the NX is much better marketed and there is a healthier stream of games for it. Nintendo can make great games and great hardware, but I think they need to step it up this time.

Comments

• Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such a shame. Wii U played host to some of my favourite games of recent years,

While I had some sympathy for Sega and the failure of the Dreamcast, it's hard to not point the finger of blame directly at Nintendo for Wii U's appalling performance.

Still, it was money well spent for me and I don't regret being a Wii U owner one bit.

Onwards and upwards now. Interested to see what NX will offer.
  • Options
    ShotDownInFlameShotDownInFlame Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    Very odd that they're stopping Wii U production so soon seeing as production of the Wii lasted well into the Wii U cycle.

Also I just wish they'd unveil the NX already, they've dragged it out too much now to the point where it's just boring having rumours upon rumours with nothing concrete.
  • Options
    LeeleeSTARLeeleeSTAR Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very odd that they're stopping Wii U production so soon seeing as production of the Wii lasted well into the Wii U cycle.

Also I just wish they'd unveil the NX already, they've dragged it out too much now to the point where it's just boring having rumours upon rumours with nothing concrete.

I don't find it odd. It's been a massive flop, get rid of it from the shelves and concentrate on the nx. Don't confuse anyone by having two machines on the market.

Don't get me wrong I love my wii u but clearly the general public didn't buy into it for various reasons.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    Seriously thinking about getting it if they go on sale just for Bayonetta 2. I loved the first one and have always heard excellent thing about it.
  • Options
    samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww I love my Wii U, I've certainly bought more original titles for it than I have my PS4 at any rate.
    It's a shame really, it was a better experience than the Wii and received no support.
  • Options
    dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Such a shame. Wii U played host to some of my favourite games of recent years,

While I had some sympathy for Sega and the failure of the Dreamcast, it's hard to not point the finger of blame directly at Nintendo for Wii U's appalling performance.

Still, it was money well spent for me and I don't regret being a Wii U owner one bit.

Onwards and upwards now. Interested to see what NX will offer.

I wont shead a tear that they are stopping making them if anything ill be celebrating because finally ill be able to buy one at a decent price. That console has been the same price since its released and it never hardly got reduced for sales.

Maybe when the NX comes out will be the best opportunity to buy one.
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wont shead a tear that they are stopping making them if anything ill be celebrating because finally ill be able to buy one at a decent price. That console has been the same price since its released and it never hardly got reduced for sales.

Maybe when the NX comes out will be the best opportunity to buy one.
    You can buy a Wii U from £119 here http://www.graingergames.co.uk/consoles/nintendo-wii-u/under-150 not a bad price.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Woodbine wrote: »
    You can buy a Wii U from £119 here http://www.graingergames.co.uk/consoles/nintendo-wii-u/under-150 not a bad price.

I wont buy a used one, Ive learnt from experience never buy a used console, games yes but consoles no. Plus id never buy something used thats touch screen because of wear and tear regardless how they test things.
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never owned one, the Wii pretty much killed of my interest in Nintendo after owning, and loving, all their previous consoles from the SNES onwards.
  • Options
    DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wii U would make a great bargain buy on clearance. Especially as many of the best titles are now discounted on the 'selects' range.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=Nintendo+Selects
  • Options
    Forum Member
    snafu65 wrote: »
    Never owned one, the Wii pretty much killed of my interest in Nintendo after owning, and loving, all their previous consoles from the SNES onwards.

I think the problem with wii's is that annoying controller they brought out. Id have much preferred Mario Galaxy if it had been a standard controller, like the other consoles used to be.
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the wii u gamepad. Its fairly large, but its very comfortable to use. im playing zelda at the minute and its great not having to pause the game to check the map/swap out inventory.
  • Options
    SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only games that ever had my interest for the console were Xenoblade Chronicles and Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE. Sadly, I could never justify getting the console just for two games. It's a shame, because they both look like pretty amazing games.
  • Options
    KevinessKeviness Posts: 2,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've really enjoyed the Wii U, it's had some cracking games but I'm ready to move on now.

Excited for NX, can't wait for the reveal mainly so it shuts up those who feel entitled and claim to be bored of waiting every 5 minutes.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    Just brought one on special, Super Mario Maker premium edition with Art Academy Atelier for 179.
  • Options
    digibladedigiblade Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    Bought one for the kids last Xmas (sat next to the ps4) and it was worth it. If only for the family sessions of Mario Kart & Super Mario Maker. As a console it works brilliantly, the game pad was excellently realised, the games looked awesome and everyone could join in. Super Mario Maker is the biggest highlight, bringing an online community into your created levels and having a vast panoply of levels to play showed rare originality.
    The Wii U's downfall has definitely been lack of 3rd party support. Trotting out updated versions of Nintendo staples like Mario Bros., Kart, Smash, Kong really is beginning wear thin now. The Wii U only really offered older (N64 etc) & then updated versions of the same games.
    Having seen the glossy trailers for the 'Switch' it looks more like Wii U 2.0, but it will die the same death if it only offers yet more updated versions of Nintendo classics with no contemporary titles to embellish it's offering.
  • Options
    DeathMagneticDeathMagnetic Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    As long as the Switch has Captain Toad-ah Treasure Tracker Rosalina Hoes-ah 2, I'll be a happy man :D
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wii U production will end this week. The final unit will be built this Friday.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/01/nintendo-to-end-wii-u-production-this-week/
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its all been denied now so make of it what you will. At any rate I don't expect they will sell many.

https://www.neowin.net/news/nintendo-says-claim-that-its-ending-wii-u-production-this-week-is-not-true