Shop Refunds: Can A Shop Get Away With Just Issuing Credit Notes If You Want A Refund

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    If it was me, I would examine the product very very carefully & try to find a fault. If you find one they have to give you a refund.
  • sunnymegsunnymeg Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes if there is a fault then the item is not fit for the purpose it was sold for and they have to give you a refund. They also have to give you a refund if the goods are defective or do not last for a reasonable length of time even after you have worn them. I once had a pair of trousers that I wore and washed about four times. The side seam split. I took them back and got a full refund.

I also know someone whose zip broke on her wedding dress the morning of the wedding. Her mother had to do running repairs. After the honeymoon she took the dress back and got a full refund.
  • lifesabeach11lifesabeach11 Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like you should have broke the zip and got your money back
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, make a fault.;)
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    fleet wrote: »
    Not fit for purpose means not fit for the purpose they were designed for and not because they didn't fit your purpose.

But if they were bought on the basis they were a size 11 but they were a size 10 labelled as a size 11, then they aren't as described or fit for purpose.

Imagine buying a PC which said it had 2 GB RAM but only has 1.
  • IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member

Yes, when I stupidly spend my hard earned cash on something I really don't like, I think it infinitely preferable to destroy it, and have the shop refuse me a refund or credit note, than to return it shame-faced and accept credit that I can use another day. ;)
  • IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    ForestChav wrote: »
    But if they were bought on the basis they were a size 11 but they were a size 10 labelled as a size 11, then they aren't as described or fit for purpose.

If that is the case then you are correct sir and deserve a refund if you so wish.

If they were a size 11 labelled as an 11 and you really should have asked for 12 then you should be thankful to get an exchange or a credit.
    Forum Member
    It seems there are a few people who want to commit fraud.

Do be careful though, apart from it being illegal the retailer doesn't have to do anything if they can prove that the product has been misused. Which leaves you with a product which you ruined and can't use and no money for it because the retailer perfectly sensibly refuses to refund you.

Also don't forget that even if you do find a fault they can send it off for repair or replace the item. Normally you'll get repair, replacement, refund in that order if the retailer sticks to the law, rather than their own returns policy which may differ and shouldn't affect your legal rights.

It might be picky but there isn't anything wrong with looking for something which is genuinely wrong with the goods and was present (if not showing) when you got them.
  • hanndavhanndav Posts: 2,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To the OP. Why did you buy the jeans in the first place if you weren't absolutely sure you wanted them?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Lululamb wrote: »
    I bought a pair of trainers from Sports World and was in a hurry so didn't try them on, just got my normal size. When i got home they didn't fit so i tried to take them back for a refund as still had receipt. They would only give me a credit note as they don't issue refunds unless the goods are faulty. I replied they as they didn't fit me they were not fit for the purpose i bought them for and should get a refund. They refused and said i could keep the trainers or have a credit note.
    That was back in October and i still have a £50 credit note that i have no need for. I'm hoping someone will want something sporty for a birthday and then i can use it!

What a crock!! Be honest here - you just wanted the money back! If not, then why not exchange them for the correct size? I am sure they would have been happy to do that.

LCDMAN......................says your story is full of holes!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    hanndav wrote: »
    To the OP. Why did you buy the jeans in the first place if you weren't absolutely sure you wanted them?

Good point. I'd never spend £80 on a pair of jeans:eek:
    Forum Member
    IWantPVR wrote: »
    If that is the case then you are correct sir and deserve a refund if you so wish.

If they were a size 11 labelled as an 11 and you really should have asked for 12 then you should be thankful to get an exchange or a credit.

I do think goodwill goes a long way tbh, it's a lot easier to avoid confrontation and provided the goods are resaleable (or can be returned yourself) then it is better service to just exchange.

Like the size 11 you cited there, if you bought the wrong size and the item was unworn I'd take the item back and give you the 12. Keeps the customer happy and means they're more likely to go back.

The situation arising when goods have clearly been (ab)used and then the buyer brings them back for a refund is different and legally if you can prove there wasn't anything wrong when they were bought, as a retailer, you don't have to do anything.

In fairness retailers' return policies vary and tbh the larger stores do have the better ones. AIUI DSG's does allow you to get a full refund if you don't like an item within 28 days in certain cases. The law only requires retailers to act if an item was faulty when you got it. Which is why in most cases I tend to refer to legal rights under the Sale of Goods Act because they always apply and are always the same.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Taboo wrote: »
    Good point. I'd never spend £80 on a pair of jeans:eek:

Havent you ever heard of Matalan? lol:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    casa_nova wrote: »
    Like you said its good customer service. And as a person who shops at All Saints a lot and rarely takes stuff back they have lost more custom from me in future.

All saints online however will give you a full refund if you buy via the internet, so why not in store??? It baffles me.

Sorry if i'm repeating a reply here.

You don't get the chance to try on before you buy with online purchases therefore they are required to offer a 7 day returns period. I spoke to oft about this a couple of years ago when i was being fobbed off with a credit note for an online purchase.
    Forum Member
    if it's faulty and you can't get a repair or replacement.

If it's faulty you don't have to accept a repair or replacement a refund option has to be available.
  • fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They never said that, they said they bought the shoes in a hurry and never tried them on. If they had been labelled incorrectly then that would be a different matter.

I still can't see what the problem is with the OP, they shop in this place a lot, so that credit note could be used by now.
  • Dancing QueenDancing Queen Posts: 9,917
    Forum Member
    what's wrong with Next jeans/M & S/ John Lewis?????? You'll always get a refund there......Why spend £80 anyway - it's madness:D
    Forum Member
    fleet wrote: »
    They never said that, they said they bought the shoes in a hurry and never tried them on. If they had been labelled incorrectly then that would be a different matter.

I still can't see what the problem is with the OP, they shop in this place a lot, so that credit note could be used by now.
    Well, I never said they did. I was referring to a potentially hypothetical scenario where you bought a size 11 but it was really a sized 10 labelled as an 11.

If you bought the wrong item and it is as described and fit for purpose (at that size) then you have no legal rights to a refund.
    If it's faulty you don't have to accept a repair or replacement a refund option has to be available.

It depends on whether you have "accepted" the goods, but the primary resolution for the sale of goods act is a repair, then replacement, then refund, in most cases.

This is what SOGA says re: refunds - note there is no definition of a period of acceptance, it's more relevant to distance selling.

48C Reduction of purchase price or rescission of contract

(1) If section 48A above applies, the buyer may -

(a) require the seller to reduce the purchase price of the goods in question to the buyer by an appropriate amount, or

(b) rescind the contract with regard to those goods,

if the condition in subsection (2) below is satisfied.

(2) The condition is that -

(a) by virtue of section 48B(3) above the buyer may require neither repair nor replacement of the goods; or

(b) the buyer has required the seller to repair or replace the goods, but the seller is in breach of the requirement of section 48B(2)(a) above to do so within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to the buyer.

(3) For the purposes of this Part, if the buyer rescinds the contract, any reimbursement to the buyer may be reduced to take account of the use he has had of the goods since they were delivered to him.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/20023045.htm
    Forum Member
    Well, I never said they did. I was referring to a potentially hypothetical scenario where you bought a size 11 but it was really a sized 10 labelled as an 11.

If you bought the wrong item and it is as described and fit for purpose (at that size) then you have no legal rights to a refund.

It depends on whether you have "accepted" the goods, but the primary resolution for the sale of goods act is a repair, then replacement, then refund, in most cases.
    This is what SOGA says re: refunds - note there is no definition of a period of acceptance, it's more relevant to distance selling.

(a) require the seller to reduce the purchase price of the goods in question to the buyer by an appropriate amount, or

(a) by virtue of section 48B(3) above the buyer may require neither repair nor replacement of the goods; or

(b) the buyer has required the seller to repair or replace the goods, but the seller is in breach of the requirement of section 48B(2)(a) above to do so within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to the buyer.

(3) For the purposes of this Part, if the buyer rescinds the contract, any reimbursement to the buyer may be reduced to take account of the use he has had of the goods since they were delivered to him.

I checked this with consumer direct a few years ago and it was a legal requirement that a refund MUST be an option for faulty goods.
    Forum Member
    I checked this with consumer direct a few years ago and it was a legal requirement that a refund MUST be an option for faulty goods.

It is! It's conditional on neither a repair nor a replacement being acceptable.

READ THE LAW.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

READ THE LAW.

I have, and I'm affraid the majority of your quote only applies to Scotland.
    Forum Member
    I have, and I'm affraid the majority of your quote only applies to Scotland.

Thank you for posting this, i was talking about English law and didn't realise there were variations in consumer law in Scotland.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You should have gone to John Lewis or House of Fraser. They always give refunds.

£80 on a pair of jeans though!!:eek:
    Forum Member
    I stop using stores if there returns policy is credit note only, 90% of things i buy (recreational goods) are actually birthday/christmas presents and if it isn't easy for them to exchange if they don't want it then what's the point. If at all possible i will now buy online, there returns policies are usually more favourable.
    Forum Member
    I stop using stores if there returns policy is credit note only, 90% of things i buy (recreational goods) are actually birthday/christmas presents and if it isn't easy for them to exchange if they don't want it then what's the point. If at all possible i will now buy online, there returns policies are usually more favourable.

The reason for that is that the distance selling regulations do allow a ten day cooling off period during which you can cancel the contract, return the goods and receive a full refund.