Options

Awkward moments in your life.

Comments

• Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought of another - when my son was just a little older than a toddler, he got up during the night and came to my bedroom. Unfortunately for me, I was in mid-ride on top of my partner and didn't know he was there until I heard the 'Mummmmm' call!
    Luckily though my head got in gear and, as it was dark and the winter months, I was able to explain that I was putting Vapour Rub on his chest to which my partner started to fake-cough to give more truth to the story!:D

Taking the little one back to bed whilst still naked, he pipped up "Perhaps you should use Honey & Lemon will a cough like that". :D:D More of a funny moment than an awkward one.
  • Options
    Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    myss wrote: »
    Thought of another - when my son was just a little older than a toddler, he got up during the night and came to my bedroom. Unfortunately for me, I was in mid-ride on top of my partner and didn't know he was there until I heard the 'Mummmmm' call!
    Luckily though my head got in gear and, as it was dark and the winter months, I was able to explain that I was putting Vapour Rub on his chest to which my partner started to fake-cough to give more truth to the story!:D

Taking the little one back to bed whilst still naked, he pipped up "Perhaps you should use Honey & Lemon will a cough like that". :D:D More of a funny moment than an awkward one.

:D

That's funny!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harris1978 wrote: »
    I was in New York in one of the big departmenmt stores and looking for some aftershave. One of the stores assistants latched onto me and proceeded to spray me with a few aftershaves. After each spray he would open a box of coffee beans and look at me and then shut again. After about the fourth time of said action i still was non the wiser so proceeded to take a coffee bean and chew on it. With this the assistant looked at me strangely and walked off. I had no idea what the problem was until my friend explained to me the coffee beans are too smell after each spray of after shave to clear your nose!!

To make matters worse i finally found an aftershave i liked so the same assistant told me to follow him back to the counter to pay, as i was already flustered from my previous faux-pas i did exactly as he said and followed him behind the counter standing as close to him as possible next to the till. It wasnt until my friend told me to come out from behind the counter and stand the other side i realised i had done anything silly!!

I have actually just cried real tears reading this! the first bit was bad enough for making me howl with laughter but it took me about 5 minutes to read the second part through wiping away tears! Brilliant!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was younger I had a bit of a nak for humiliating myself, I could probably fill a good couple of pages on this thread! Luckily I've now developed a pretty thick skin and it's really hard to embarrass me, in fact I tend to get into trouble for talking to openly and embarrassing everyone else.:o

When I was in my mid teens, I was with my first serious boyfriend. I used to walk him half way home, to a rather dark, secluded bit of wasteland, to spend more time together. One evening, after spending some "quality time" before we went our separate ways, I arrived back at home to a room full of friends and family....Only to realise I had my top on inside out and muddy patches on both knees and the bum area of my jeans!:eek::o I didn't live that down for months!

Another time, when I was 18 I was working in a local pub. The "cellar" was actually a windowless building out in the beer garden, which happened to have doors that swung closed at the slightest breeze. I was in there getting a couple of crates to restock the fridges. I had just flicked the lights off and was just about to carry them back inside when I realised I'd left the keys on the other side of the room.
    Well, I couldn't leave it unlocked with customers out there so I put the crates down and nipped across the room to retrieve the keys. Unfortunately, a gust of wind blew the door shut and left me in complete darkness. I then spent 10 minutes trying to navigate my way through the barrels and crates, getting more and more disorientated and panicked before I found my way out. I finally got back inside, with the crates, to find everyone staring at me (to be fair I was a wild eyed and tear stained mess by this point and had been gone far longer than expected), and, still flustered, I try to explain myself but all that comes out is "it's dark in there with no lights on!" Which, apparently, was the most hilarious thing I've ever said as everyone burst out laughing! :o
  • Options
    AppleseedAppleseed Posts: 3,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still do the 'tap running / light a candle after' thing now and I've lived with the OH for 3 years :D

I used to go out with a girl years ago, we'll call her 'S' (real name Samantha) who'd quite happily come into the bathroom, sit on the throne and have a dump while I was in the bath/shower.
    Once she came in and changed a tampon.:eek:

I think there's certain things that should remain private!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Appleseed wrote: »
    I used to go out with a girl years ago, we'll call her 'S' (real name Samantha) who'd quite happily come into the bathroom, sit on the throne and have a dump while I was in the bath/shower.
    Once she came in and changed a tampon.:eek:

I think there's certain things that should remain private!

:D Kind of you to disguise her identity though.

I agree though. I mean really - I know that men have seen that part of your body already, but that doesn't mean they have to witness every personal act...Old fashioned advice books even say that men should never see their wives shaving a leg let alone wiping the bottom.
  • Options
    fonzerellifonzerelli Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    I slapped a stranger for laughing when I slipped on ice. I was in early pregnancy and just got over a near miscarriage, so I panicked when I fell, and looked up to see a couple of women laughing at me. To be fair they couldn't have known, but I just saw red. It's the only time I ever hit someone. It was very satisfying:p

oh me! that's why it's awkward for me. I'm not laughing out loud but it's more a nervous giggle, like I don't know what else to say!!! :o
  • Options
    ErlangErlang Posts: 6,619
    Forum Member
    At one particular place of work there was a lot of ambushing of workmates going on, like kids in a playground playing cops and robbers. This was just us juniors.

One day two of us had to go and get some supplies from an outside store, my mate took one box load back in while I searched the store for more, then he called from outside that we had enough and I could come back inside.

I knew he'd be waiting to ambush me so I planned my exit, I'd draw my trusty finger 9mm burst out the door, forward roll come to a kneeling position turn and shoot.

1,2,3 leap, roll, kneel, turn, shoot.

Straight into my bosses croutch, and watched by the rest of the shift from the backdoor of the tearoom.
  • Options
    jessmumjessmum Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When my son was a toddler he used to play up in the seat of the shopping trolley whilst in the supermarket so I'd give him a biscuit to keep him quiet whilst going round.

Unfortunately this soon became a regular thing so every time we went he would expect his biscuit and woulld tantrum a bit till we got to the biscuit aisle.

We'd enter the store and the screams of 'bigtits' would start almost immediately with me running at breakneck speed through the store! He's 10 now and the story embarrases him to this day!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Erlang wrote: »
    At one particular place of work there was a lot of ambushing of workmates going on, like kids in a playground playing cops and robbers. This was just us juniors.

One day two of us had to go and get some supplies from an outside store, my mate took one box load back in while I searched the store for more, then he called from outside that we had enough and I could come back inside.

I knew he'd be waiting to ambush me so I planned my exit, I'd draw my trusty finger 9mm burst out the door, forward roll come to a kneeling position turn and shoot.

1,2,3 leap, roll, kneel, turn, shoot.

Straight into my bosses croutch, and watched by the rest of the shift from the backdoor of the tearoom.

My husband did that in a hotel once. Kind of edged up to a corner with his hand held in a 'gun' position then leaped round the corner...straight into Kenneth Clarke MP...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    My most awkward moment happened with my driving instructor. He asked me to stop at the test centre, he had to go in for something. As he got out of the car and walked past the window, I noticed his trousers were sitting really low below his hip - that would have been fine but he was wearing a black thong, with frilly edges.

He got back in the car and normal as anything exclaimed - 'you could have told me my thong was showing!'. I didn't know what to say to him, just mumbled oh I don't think I noticed...lol

The last half hour of the lesson was so awkward!! Couldn't stop laughing about it when I got home lol
  • Options
    marcina bolanmarcina bolan Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bump- more of these please I've been in tears reading them!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once went to a party thrown by a guy I had just met (really inappropriately fancied) who had a boyfriend (who he'd told me on several occasions he really really didn't like).

To distract myself I set my sights on a timid little thing and subsequently spent one man-hour trying to entice him, finally doing away with subtlety I made my intentions clear, only to find out he also had a boyfriend.

Awkward...

Spurred, tanked up, still on a mission...I decided it would be an absolutely positively spiffing idea to declare my 'feelings' to the original object of my affections. I declared my undying lust for him which was reciprocated and sealed with a kiss.

10 minutes later his boyfriend approaches me and begins to interrogate me.
    "What's that on your face?"
    My throat swelled as I stroked my face with my finger and observed the black and orange marks on it....perhaps a good time to mention the party in question was costume, and the OOMA was painted up as a tiger...
    "erm...it's...dirt...I haven't showered today".

AWKWARD.

I then, foolishly and inexplicably, decided to stay at the party. Seems unfathomable in reflection; the scorned boyfriends best friend began to loudly talk of his disdain of my presence....I scream in his face some obscenities, vainglorious statements, and ask him if he'd like to step outside...only to be split up by a random girl...then I locked myself in the bathroom for an hour.

AWKWARD
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    |Stefan wrote: »
    I once went to a party thrown by a guy I had just met (really inappropriately fancied) who had a boyfriend (who he'd told me on several occasions he really really didn't like).

To distract myself I set my sights on a timid little thing and subsequently spent one man-hour trying to entice him, finally doing away with subtlety I made my intentions clear, only to find out he also had a boyfriend.

Awkward...

Spurred, tanked up, still on a mission...I decided it would be an absolutely positively spiffing idea to declare my 'feelings' to the original object of my affections. I declared my undying lust for him which was reciprocated and sealed with a kiss.

10 minutes later his boyfriend approaches me and begins to interrogate me.
    "What's that on your face?"
    My throat swelled as I stroked my face with my finger and observed the black and orange marks on it....perhaps a good time to mention the party in question was costume, and the OOMA was painted up as a tiger...
    "erm...it's...dirt...I haven't showered today".

AWKWARD.

I then, foolishly and inexplicably, decided to stay at the party. Seems unfathomable in reflection; the scorned boyfriends best friend began to loudly talk of his disdain of my presence....I scream in his face some obscenities, vainglorious statements, and ask him if he'd like to step outside...only to be split up by a random girl...then I locked myself in the bathroom for an hour.

AWKWARD

Look at your life! LOOK AT YOUR CHOICES!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Now it's dire and embarrassing...at 19 it's the norm...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:D Probably quite awkward to the other guests come to think of it, having the bathroom occupied for an hour.
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    My most awkward moment was when I was about 13 or so, my mom was driving me and some friends somewhere. My mom had a Lexus at the time, and one of my friends kept talking about how he'd "been in a lexus.. wink wink"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Mandark wrote: »
    Was in a very crowded street where pedestrians were moving really slowly. A mum was walking by with toddler in pushchair. Toddler without warning starts asking "Why has that man got brown skin mummy?"! *repeat* *repeat* The mum all embarrassed (with me looking on) tried to answer carefully "Well he comes from a different part of the world..." Not bad but I felt sorry for her!! :D

Reminds me of when I was about 8 and in the supermarket with my mum and brother (who's a couple of years younger). We get to the checkout and the cashier's putting through all the items, including the tampons mum is buying...which prompt me to start a "What are they for?!" interrogation. Each time I ask mum says "They're for me", upon which I ask even more loudly "But what are they FOR". Needless to say little brother decides to chime in too. My poor mum, goodness knows what the cashier must have thought :o
  • Options
    marcina bolanmarcina bolan Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bump :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reminds me of when I was about 8 and in the supermarket with my mum and brother (who's a couple of years younger). We get to the checkout and the cashier's putting through all the items, including the tampons mum is buying...which prompt me to start a "What are they for?!" interrogation. Each time I ask mum says "They're for me", upon which I ask even more loudly "But what are they FOR". Needless to say little brother decides to chime in too. My poor mum, goodness knows what the cashier must have thought :o
    I did a similar thing when I was younger lol :D seeing my mum put a pack of sanitary towels in her basket and me continually asking very loudly what they were.

Suppose i've got joys like that to come when I have kids lol lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My friend once wrote a text to me complaining about how little work our manager had done before going home early, only she sent it to the manager by mistake! :o. She came storming back into work to have it out with my friend and in the morning I was interrogated about it.

We were only a staff of 9 so we were working very closely everyday and it was really awkward after that and things deteriated drastically after that, my friend left 2months later and I left 6months after that. We set up a rival business and they tried their best to blacken our name in the area but 4years on we're still going strong :D
  • Options
    hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member
    Picto wrote: »
    No matter how many times you deal with certain situations, there is always an awkwardness involved.

Here are a few examples.

1) Going to a restaurant you’re clearly not good enough to be in.

ie. Waiter brings over roast breast of pheasant with apricot and black pudding merlot reduction and parsnip potato cake and i ask can I get chips with that.

2) Looking at pictures of your best friends new girlfriend.

There's just no correct thing to say when doing this. Just stay silent.

3) Trying to introduce two people when you’ve forgotten both their names.

Um whatchermacallit this is thingymabob.

4) Borrowing money.

Enough said.

5) Having your first poo at a girlfriends / boyfriends house.

You have to line the toilet bowl with a paper nest whilst running all the taps to drown out any sounds. Then the bottom aroma has to be fanned out of the window. The whole process could take up to an hour to complete.

6) ...........

Are there any other awkward moments that you fellow DSers could add to my thread.

I'm sure there are.

Hang on.....you dont feel good enough in a restaurant but your ie is roasted breast of pheasant and merlot?..lol
    Come on....are you sure you've not been in a posh/poshish eatery?
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hang on.....you dont feel good enough in a restaurant but your ie is roasted breast of pheasant and merlot?..lol
    Come on....are you sure you've not been in a posh/poshish eatery?

Didn't really happen. I just made it up so i could listen to other peoples funny stories.

I feel awkward now.:o
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    Going out to a very Posh function with my Royal Marine boyfriend and then it descending into drunken chaos, when all the men started taking their clothes off.
    Apparently "naked bar" is quite common in the Marines. I'll never forget talking to his, very well hung brother at the bar about home improvements and just wishing I could be anywhere but there.
  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple spring to mind.

One day I had just got off the bus and was about to walk the mile or so back to my house when a woman who lived down the road from me drove past. She stopped and stuck her head out of the window and asked if I'd like a lift to which I replied that "that would be great, thanks". As soon as I had said this I realised that she was talking to the woman, who unbeknown to me, had got off the bus after me and was walking along just behind me.

And then there was the time I was on the subway one day. The carriage was pretty full until we got to Ibrox at which point everyone got off the train, everyone that is except for myself and the person who was sitting right next to me. It's probably a situation you have to experience to understand just how crushingly awkward it makes you feel. I had to get out at the next stop and wait for the next train.