Options

Favourite Emmerdale Character 2014 - Round 2, Heat 1

Comments

• Options
    Telly_FanTelly_Fan Posts: 805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're completely misrepresenting me. I've never suggested you have or would fix the voting results. I've merely asked why you gave an inaccurate representation of how the voting went in the last round.

I don't need to go to the EastEnders vote, or be told that Eric could easily fall way behind Jimmy et al. It's not relevant in any way - even if my theory had been true. (You only need to think about reality shows - after every vote-off the votes from the people who leave disperse to the other contestants and can change things significantly - but it doesn't stop the producers trying to manipulate the vote. So its a moot point.)

As I said previously:
    Telly_Fan wrote: »
    you're spending more time on what *I* meant, than answering the original point of what *you* meant by your inaccurate summary

which you've done again. If you're telling me you weren't trying to influence the voting in any way then I'm prepared to believe you, but, you've still not offered any modicum of explanation as to why you misrepresented what happened!
    Reserved wrote: »
    Anyway, I'm done. I have nothing to prove to you. If you think I'm trying to get Bernice - or anyone else - a higher end rank in the competition, then set up another competition.

I'm certainly not going to do that, that would be silly. It's a shame you couldn't answer a reasonable question. You are right you don't have to prove anything to me. I was (and still am) mystified and I thought I'd seek an explanation. Perhaps I should have thought of a different way of asking. If you weren't trying to influence the vote you have a right to be offended, but I also hoped for some sympathy and understanding as to why I might come to that conclusion, and that you would be happy to shed some light on why what you wrote didn't match what happened.

You're >:(

I'm still :confused:

Two unhappy people right now :(:(
  • Options
    MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    Debbie Dingle
    Nicola King
    Ross Barton
    Kerry Wyatt
    Moira Barton
    Finn Barton
    Victoria Sugden
    Diane Sugden
    Georgia Sharma
    Zak Dingle
    Belle Dingle
    Andy Sugden
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicola King
    Diane Sugden
    Kerry Wyatt
    Finn Barton
    Ross Barton
    Moira Barton
    Georgia Sharma
    Victoria Sugden
    Zak Dingle
    Belle Dingle
    Andy Sugden
    Debbie Dingle
  • Options
    MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    You're doing a wonderful job by the way, Reserved.
  • Options
    Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    Nicola King
    Diane Sugden
    Moira Barton
    Zak Dingle
    Victoria Sugden
    Kerry Wyatt
    Andy Sugden
    Belle Dingle
    Ross Barton
    Georgia Sharma
    Finn Barton
    Debbie Dingle
  • Options
    Roni_JRoni_J Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moira Barton
    Nicola King
    Diane Sugden
    Victoria Sugden
    Kerry Wyatt
    Debbie Dingle
    Georgia Sharma
    Andy Sugden
    Belle Dingle
    Zak Dingle
    Finn Barton
    Ross Barton
  • Options
    _BollyKnickers__BollyKnickers_ Posts: 4,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moira Barton
    Nicola King
    Diane Sugden
    Debbie Dingle
    Victoria Sugden
    Finn Barton
    Andy Sugden
    Zak Dingle
    Ross Barton
    Kerry Wyatt
    Georgia Sharma
    Belle Dingle
  • Options
    ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrJames wrote: »
    You're doing a wonderful job by the way, Reserved.

Thank you, much appreciated :)
    If you weren't trying to influence the vote you have a right to be offended, but I also hoped for some sympathy and understanding as to why I might come to that conclusion, and that you would be happy to shed some light on why what you wrote didn't match what happened.

Fair enough. I apologise if I've come over defensive, but your initial post looked as if you came here to stir and nothing else.

Instead of simply asking "why?", you went into great detail, and went onto comment about missing characters getting put at the bottom of the list. I've just re-read it, and I can see that you were simply warning people on that point, but on my first read, it came across as you having a dig (because you disagreed with it over PM) so were airing that frustration amongst everything else "wrong" with the competition.

I have no idea how you organise the votes, but I don't tend to keep a record like you, I just use mini notes and track the characters every move (so when they move up or down, it gets noted), so I can use it for a quick summary before moving onto the next round.

For whatever reason, my notes suggest Bernice doing well, whilst Zak struggled to keep up with the contenders for first place (which is true). I've never considered the summary to be of any importance (my bad, I guess) and just use it as a tool so I can wrap it up and move onto the next group - most of the time it's "X character stayed at the bottom" (look at my comments for Leo, Sean and Gemma as an example) which is a bit of useless information, really.

If anyone uses the summary (or any other information) to vote tactically, then they obviously don't have strong feelings towards the characters in the heat anyway; as if they were to rank Bernice higher because of what I said, they risk losing the characters they would've put higher if I never said that. On the other hand, if they put Bernice even lower to ensure she gets the boot, they risk sending through characters who would've been ranked lower had they not read my summary. Tactical votes are pretty stupid in my view, but those who do it, good luck to them - it's a risky move.

Finally, I'd just like to apologise again. I didn't mean to be as awkward towards you as I was. OK, I did. I'm genuinely sorry though and next time I'll try to answer your questions without the hostility (if I haven't scared you off from asking anymore, that is)! :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Debbie Dingle
    Moira Barton
    Nicola King
    Victoria Sugden
    Zak Dingle
    Belle Dingle
    Ross Barton
    Finn Barton
    Kerry Wyatt
    Diane Sugden
    Andy Sugden
    Georgia Sharma
  • Options
    scarlet8715scarlet8715 Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nicola King
    Moira Barton
    Victoria Sugden
    Kerry Wyatt
    Zak Dingle
    Andy Sugden
    Finn Barton
    Belle Dingle
    Diane Sugden
    Georgia Sharma
    Debbie Dingle
    Ross Barton
  • Options
    lulu25lulu25 Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kerry Wyatt
    Zak Dingle
    Debbie Dingle
    Moira Barton
    Victoria Sugden
    Nicola King
    Ross Barton
    Finn Barton
    Andy Sugden
    Belle Dingle
    Diane Sugden
    Georgia Sharma
  • Options
    AllyLKAllyLK Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nicola King
    Victoria Sugden
    Finn Barton
    Belle Dingle
    Georgia Sharma
    Ross Barton
    Diane Sugden
    Debbie Dingle
    Kerry Wyatt
    Moira Barton
    Zak Dingle
    Andy Sugden
  • Options
    Kazz64Kazz64 Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    Nicola King
    Victoria Sugden
    Kerry Wyatt
    Ross Barton
    Zak Dingle
    Belle Dingle
    Moira Barton
    Finn Barton
    Diane Sugden
    Georgia Sharma
    Andy Sugden
    Debbie Dingle
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no idea how you organise the votes, but I don't tend to keep a record like you, I just use mini notes and track the characters every move (so when they move up or down, it gets noted), so I can use it for a quick summary before moving onto the next round.

I see now that therein lies the problem. I'll come back to that in a bit. :)
    your initial post looked as if you came here to stir and nothing else.

I'm sorry if it seemed that way, but that was not my intention. :)
    Instead of simply asking "why?", you went into great detail

Because it's no good just saying "you're wrong" without having the facts to back it up. :)
    I can see that you were simply warning people on that point, but on my first read, it came across as you having a dig (because you disagreed with it over PM) so were airing that frustration amongst everything else "wrong" with the competition.

Well as you know I DO disagree over that, and as I said to someone in a PM (before I first looked at this thread) "You'd think "beware that if you accidentally miss someone from the vote I'll automatically put them in last place" should be one of the upfront rules of the voting process". I do really think that. I hadn't said anything on the Heat 7 thread, and it's quite possibly true that I wouldn't have said about it on this thread either had I not been airing frustrations. So up to a point you were probably right :blush: - BUT it doesn't alter the fact that I already felt it was something that SHOULD be said, in any case, so I decided to take the opportunity to do so. Bear in mind also that having just collated the votes, I'd just seen confirmation that Victoria was indeed placed bottom of the miscast vote, so having this in mind gave me an extra impetus to speak out about it. :)
    I'm genuinely sorry though and next time I'll try to answer your questions without the hostility

I'm glad to hear it :) I, too, will try and avoid sounding hostile if I ask anything (no, I haven't been scared off lol!) :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well the easiest thing to do is use a spreadsheet. Characters in column 1, then each vote goes in another column. I also added an extra 'check' row to make sure each column added up to 55. Total the rows up and rearrange them highest vote to lowest. That's 'stage 1'.

When I PM'd you those summary notes for heat 6 my own method for stages 2 and 3 was a bit of a mess! I can't find an archive copy but I think I had two extra Arthur lines - one to compare to Amelia and one comparing to Marlon & Laurel. For heat 7 I did it properly. Underneath stage 1 you want a new set of rows - with column 1 and column 2 the same as they were in stage 1. Column 3 is "'stage 2' column 2" + "'stage 1' column 3". Repeat for column 4 ("'stage 2' column 3" + "'stage 1' column 4"), and repeat this step for the other characters for these two columns. Then you can drag columns 3 and 4 across to the end and it'll tell you every step of the way what each persons total score was at each particular stage of the vote. :cool:

Then you can add a 'stage 3', like I did with Zak and Bernice, taking the cumulative totals away from each other to tell you how far apart they were from each other. E.g. "'stage 2' row 4, column 4 - 'stage 2' row 5, column 4". I even ended up doing a little line graph to easily see how consistently Zak pulled away from her!

So, once you've input the data into stage 1, it's quite easy to get lots more information from the data. :)

I hope this has been of some help to you. :)
  • Options
    Melephunk2010Melephunk2010 Posts: 38,387
    Forum Member
    Should have said this earlier, but thank you Reserved for taking the time to do this for us. It's great fun and I'm looking forward to who our winner will be!

It's just a shame that not everyone can be grateful for you taking time out of your days to organise this for us.

Keep up the good work. :) x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just a shame that not everyone can be grateful for you taking time out of your days to organise this for us.

Has anyone said they're not grateful? Certainly not me:
    I appreciate the joy you bring to others, and I respect you for that.

I've even helped him with tips to make the work easier and save him time! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the easiest thing to do is use a spreadsheet. Characters in column 1, then each vote goes in another column. I also added an extra 'check' row to make sure each column added up to 55. Total the rows up and rearrange them highest vote to lowest. That's 'stage 1'.

When I PM'd you those summary notes for heat 6 my own method for stages 2 and 3 was a bit of a mess! I can't find an archive copy but I think I had two extra Arthur lines - one to compare to Amelia and one comparing to Marlon & Laurel. For heat 7 I did it properly. Underneath stage 1 you want a new set of rows - with column 1 and column 2 the same as they were in stage 1. Column 3 is "'stage 2' column 2" + "'stage 1' column 3". Repeat for column 4 ("'stage 2' column 3" + "'stage 1' column 4"), and repeat this step for the other characters for these two columns. Then you can drag columns 3 and 4 across to the end and it'll tell you every step of the way what each persons total score was at each particular stage of the vote. :cool:

Then you can add a 'stage 3', like I did with Zak and Bernice, taking the cumulative totals away from each other to tell you how far apart they were from each other. E.g. "'stage 2' row 4, column 4 - 'stage 2' row 5, column 4". I even ended up doing a little line graph to easily see how consistently Zak pulled away from her!

So, once you've input the data into stage 1, it's quite easy to get lots more information from the data. :)

I hope this has been of some help to you. :)

It just seems like a lot of bother for what is essentially a line or two summary on each character. Would anyone really care if I were to stop writing a summary? I doubt it. A few notes (mentally and jotted down) is what I find best.

As long as the votes are correct, that's all that really matters.

I enjoy running this comp and I chose to do it, so this isn't me whining, but between adding the votes up, making sure they're all correct and writing up the summary of each character for the end ranking results thread, it takes up a chunk of my time as it is.

I appreciate your input and trying to help me out but what works for me now works for me. I'll just make a bit more effort with the summaries now I know some may look into them for guidance.
    Should have said this earlier, but thank you Reserved for taking the time to do this for us. It's great fun and I'm looking forward to who our winner will be!

Keep up the good work. :) x

Thank you :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Has anyone said they're not grateful? Certainly not me:

I've even helped him with tips to make the work easier and save him time! :)

Yes you have, but you made it incredibly patronising.

If you were grateful for what Reserved was doing you wouldn't be telling him/her the way YOU think it should be done.

Maybe next time you should do your own poll?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, I like so many of these. Virtually impossible to order my top 5!

1. Victoria Sugden
    2. Moira Barton
    3. Finn Barton
    4. Diane Sugden
    5. Nicola King
    6. Georgia Sharma
    7. Ross Barton
    8. Kerry Wyatt
    9. Andy Sugden
    10. Zak Dingle
    11. Belle Dingle
    12. Debbie Dingle

Thanks for running this Reserved, great fun ... and you got me to de-lurk for the first time since last years final! :D
  • Options
    star89star89 Posts: 24,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    12. Debbie Dingle

Thanks for running this Reserved, great fun ... and you got me to de-lurk for the first time since last years final! :D

Nothing wrong with lurking >:(>:(:blush::p

(Btw this post is in total jest. Check out my location <<< and you'll see why :D)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    star89 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with lurking >:(>:(:blush::p

(Btw this post is in total jest. Check out my location <<< and you'll see why :D)

I swear you've got Debbie-Radar! ha ha!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's not a good thing now you've got star89 on your case. I don't think you're gonna be around long enough to find out the winner :D
  • Options
    ferdybookgeekferdybookgeek Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Debbie Dingle
    Nicola King
    Victoria Sugden
    Zak Dingle
    Belle Dingle
    Kerry Wyatt
    Moira Barton
    Georgia Sharma
    Finn Barton
    Andy Sugden
    Ross Barton
    Diane Sugden
  • Options
    star89star89 Posts: 24,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's not a good thing now you've got star89 on your case. I don't think you're gonna be around long enough to find out the winner :D

:blush::blush: I'm leaving before I get blamed for corrupting the votes :blush::p

Edit - I didn't corrupt Ferdy, I swear :o