Options

The Passing Bells

Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
Forum Member
I haven't seen a thread on this - is anyone else watching? I think it's incredibly well done - I love WW1 novels and dramas. I think this series is depicting it in a way I've never seen before. Showing both sides of the battle and both families at home.

I had to watch the first three on catch up, I knew it was coming but hadn't realised it had started - it seems to be on at a bit of an odd time - I'd have thought it worthy of a prime time slot TBH. Love the actors playing the main characters - I think it's quite exceptional.

Comments

• Options
    buttsfifebuttsfife Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen a thread on this - is anyone else watching? I think it's incredibly well done - I love WW1 novels and dramas. I think this series is depicting it in a way I've never seen before. Showing both sides of the battle and both families at home.

I had to watch the first three on catch up, I knew it was coming but hadn't realised it had started - it seems to be on at a bit of an odd time - I'd have thought it worthy of a prime time slot TBH. Love the actors playing the main characters - I think it's quite exceptional.

Did you not find it a bit strange that they seem to have found battalion's of non-smoking soldiers on both the British and German sides - totally unrealistic :D
  • Options
    theiatheia Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm watching it too and have been wondering why no thread on it. Perhaps it is the time slot, as you pointed out? I've found it very emotional...all those young boys, on both sides, going off to fight a war for their respective countries with enthusiasm and anticipation. And then the reality of the horror they face! At times, it's almost too painful to watch.

And how well the two main characters are portrayed. In just a few years they turn from fresh faced, innocent youngsters into war weary, disillusioned men.

I suppose that the drama can't be too realistic because of the time slot. All troops were given free cigarettes and I imagine that most of them smoked. Although it's almost ironic that they protect us from images of smoking when the soldiers were facing the hell of all hells!
  • Options
    latinlouloulatinloulou Posts: 3,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    theia wrote: »
    I'm watching it too and have been wondering why no thread on it. Perhaps it is the time slot, as you pointed out? I've found it very emotional...all those young boys, on both sides, going off to fight a war for their respective countries with enthusiasm and anticipation. And then the reality of the horror they face! At times, it's almost too painful to watch.

And how well the two main characters are portrayed. In just a few years they turn from fresh faced, innocent youngsters into war weary, disillusioned men.

I suppose that the drama can't be too realistic because of the time slot. All troops were given free cigarettes and I imagine that most of them smoked. Although it's almost ironic that they protect us from images of smoking when the soldiers were facing the hell of all hells!

I noticed this last night too!

I think it's been well done considering they've had to condense the episodes into half hour slots.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may catch up with it later. As others have said, it seems to be a strange time of day to put something like this on ?
  • Options
    Jim_UlaJim_Ula Posts: 2,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cracking stuff.

I must admit I was confused in the episode where the German protagonist was over in Russia, yet the Germans our brave Tommy was facing on the western front were wearing the same regiment number "630" on their helmet coverings - left me wondering who was really where.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too think that this is a very good show.
    I was very moved by the new young British replacement who said that he was 16, and had to try 3 different recruiting stations before he could enlist, he looked about 14!
    I sat up and took notice when the German boy, Michael's outfit were on the Eastern front, at Tarnow.
    My mother was from there, and I've been there and seen both German and Russian graves, turned into small shrines from WW1.
    I thought that the story-line where the Polish nurse from Kraków was working at an Allied field hospital and became pregnant by the British boy Tommy, a tad incredulous.
    Would she really be able to quit in 1917, and be allowed to travel to Britain to live with Tommy's family?
    Last one tonight, will they both make it through, or will Tommy or Michael, or both, get killed to ram home the horrors of the Great War?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jim_Ula wrote: »
    Cracking stuff.

I must admit I was confused in the episode where the German protagonist was over in Russia, yet the Germans our brave Tommy was facing on the western front were wearing the same regiment number "630" on their helmet coverings - left me wondering who was really where.

I'm reasonably sure that after that engagement in Poland, at Tarnow, a corporal or sergeant tells Michael that they are being transferred to the Western Front, but have a period of leave first.
  • Options
    Jim_UlaJim_Ula Posts: 2,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm reasonably sure that after that engagement in Poland, at Tarnow, a corporal or sergeant tells Michael that they are being transferred to the Western Front, but have a period of leave first.

Sorry Poland, my bad.

However, in the scene where Michael and his unit are fighting the Russians in the maze like building they are all wearing a 630 cover on their helmets, then we cut to the next scene which is the aftermath of the gas attack on the western front and all the Germans leaving their trenches during the truce are also wearing the same covers.

I'm assuming its some sort of unit numbering which was why it confused me.
  • Options
    kazzieconkazziecon Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    An amazing programme ... Am now in tears at the ending! Very poignant ... Especially as I have been to see the poppies at the Tower of London today!
  • Options
    smudesmude Posts: 17,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kazziecon wrote: »
    An amazing programme ... Am now in tears at the ending! Very poignant ... Especially as I have been to see the poppies at the Tower of London today!
    What a fitting and emotional end. I am in bits.
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    That was stunning. Such a powerful ending. Deserves a BAFTA award in my opinion.

I saw the poppies at the Tower of London in early September and they completely took my breath away.
  • Options
    theiatheia Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kazziecon wrote: »

In tears here too.

How lovely that you saw the London poppies
  • Options
    AerrowAerrow Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    I only stuck with this to see if my prediction that the two main characters would die in each others arms on the last day of the war would come true. Bingo!

On the whole I found it unengaging and contrived - I don't think it was meant to be a convincing story - but they tried to deal with too great an expanse of time in episodes much too short. My overall impression was of a First World War through the eyes of the Harmony Hair Spray Ad people, and of 21st century sensibilities behind the depiction of a 20th century war. The soundtrack was particularly wheedling and intrusive. People complain that Blackadder doesn't give a sense of what the war was like, which of course it doesn't, but at least you can have a laugh, and it makes similar 'human' points much more effectively.
  • Options
    Kayjay2405Kayjay2405 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just finished watching it on catch-up and I thought it was a fantastic series. Not a realistic documentary, no, but it certainly made me catch my breath and think about the complete waste of lives and futility of it. And Tommy's baby would be going to war again in 20 years time. The final scene of the graves and Wilfred Owen's words were very moving and left me in bits. I can see the point of both of them dying as they did but I do wish that they made it home. Years ago my mum was a homehelp to a lady in her late 90's and her fiance had been killed on the day peace was declared. She never married and kept a lock of his hair in a locket around her neck, so sad.
  • Options
    ladygardenerladygardener Posts: 2,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Showing my age, but when I was at grammar school in the 1950s all my teachers were elderly (well they were probably in their mid 50s, but to me they looked old) spinsters. Everyone of them had lost their fiancé in WW1. It was then that I realised what a tragedy it had been and for what?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jim_Ula wrote: »
    Sorry Poland, my bad.

However, in the scene where Michael and his unit are fighting the Russians in the maze like building they are all wearing a 630 cover on their helmets, then we cut to the next scene which is the aftermath of the gas attack on the western front and all the Germans leaving their trenches during the truce are also wearing the same covers.

I'm assuming its some sort of unit numbering which was why it confused me.

As I said, the same unit engaged in Poland were transferred to France/Belgium after going on leave, so the 630 helmet covers that you saw in the Tarnow building were the same ones on the same unit on the Western front.
  • Options
    BluesTrainRadioBluesTrainRadio Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obviously people could pick holes in some aspects of the story but I watched a fair bit of this and really got into it. My 8 year old also sat with me tonight and was asking questions, so maybe the time slot was deliberate, as I know many schools will be working on stories at this point too.

I was admittedly a bit cut up when they both died at the end in that manner but it did make it all hit home as there were more sad stories than happy ones.
  • Options
    spindiddlyspindiddly Posts: 4,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it was a fantastic series and very well acted and written. Having good guy vs. good guy made the whole thing more powerful and the final scene was excellently done.
  • Options
    Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ending really moved me. Not been moved by a TV scene like that in years, really sad, thought provoking. You'd have a heart of stone to not find something sad about that.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this was a very well done, thought provoking show. The sheer waste of lives. How on earth did those who survived, on both sides of the conflict, come back and try and live normal life? All the horrors they would have seen, the terror they would have felt, the guilt at surviving when so many of their friends and comrades didn't, and they were so young, a whole generation of young men wiped out and then two decades later, along comes another war. It's trite to say this but when you think of what we moan about on a day to day basis, we really have no idea how lucky we are.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Aerrow wrote: »
    I only stuck with this to see if my prediction that the two main characters would die in each others arms on the last day of the war would come true. Bingo!

On the whole I found it unengaging and contrived - I don't think it was meant to be a convincing story - but they tried to deal with too great an expanse of time in episodes much too short. My overall impression was of a First World War through the eyes of the Harmony Hair Spray Ad people, and of 21st century sensibilities behind the depiction of a 20th century war. The soundtrack was particularly wheedling and intrusive. People complain that Blackadder doesn't give a sense of what the war was like, which of course it doesn't, but at least you can have a laugh, and it makes similar 'human' points much more effectively.

I don't think I could possibly disagree more. I thought it was done very well within the given parameters.

Such a poignant ending - contrived ? - possibly but I don't think I've ever seen a WW1 portrayal that has depicted such realism (without gore and profanity - and I've seen a lot) - it was simply done in a way that was suitable and apt for all ages.
  • Options
    busy_beebusy_bee Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think I've ever seen a WW1 portrayal that has depicted such realism (without gore and profanity - and I've seen a lot) - it was simply done in a way that was suitable and apt for all ages.

Penny I think you hit the nail on the head here (BIB) - this was an incredibly moving and thought provoking series, really getting to the heart of how WW1 impacted on normal people. Sons, brothers, fathers and the families that they left behind. They were not faceless soldiers, but people, who all had a story to tell.

By putting it on at 7pm it made it accessible to children, and was portrayed in a way that was not grisly and realistic in the brutality, but gave a real sense of the emotional loss and terror that those poor boys would have been experiencing.

I think this is something that should be shown in schools, well written and totally deserving of awards for writing, acting and directing - that ending was heartbreaking.
  • Options
    busy_beebusy_bee Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aerrow wrote: »

I think you missed the point of the whole thing completely.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    My sisters kids watched it and they are 7and 9.
    The 9 year old didn't know much about the Great War, but watched this and now wants to go to on Sunday to pay their respect to all the fallen men.
    It worked for educational purposes to the kids, I know a few kids have watched it and was the talking point of the playground.
    The only thing that upset the 7 year old was tommy/michel dying on the field.
    Ok so there might be a few who might say it's rubbish,but at that time of night they can only show so much,but it has worked on telling the story to the young and older alike.
  • Options
    KittygodfreeKittygodfree Posts: 2,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched it all predicted Tommy would die as he had the baby but hoped he wouldnt .As soon as he volunteered to mend the fence knew his number was up .would have liked an upbeat ending as statically 1 in 5 men were killed I believe so both men could have survived.My granddad died in 1918 in Belgium so I wanted those boys to survive.Good but not great series.