Football Commentators Thread (Part 17)

Comments

• jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IanFergus wrote: »
    BBC Match of the Day will continue until (at least) 2018-19. So much for ITV's confidence.

ITV didn't bid.
  • LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,565
    Forum Member
    So it was just more bluster from ITV. Why on earth did they hire Mark Pougatch?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2844120/ITV-consider-Premier-League-highlights-bid-Match-Day-BBC.html
  • LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,565
    Forum Member
    BBC is paying about 10 percent more than the current three-year sum (of £180m) and will be showing a midweek Premier League programme on BBC2 on a Wednesday,

I wonder when the live rights will be announced.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it was just more bluster from ITV. Why on earth did they hire Mark Pougatch?
    They've not hired him; they've just taken him on a retainer to front what football they have left (England internationals and the Champions' League/Europa League, including highlights from next season).
  • alexvscalexvsc Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Who's on Getafe v Villareal on Sky Sports 5?
  • HomesdaleHomesdale Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    alexvsc wrote: »
    Who's on Getafe v Villareal on Sky Sports 5?

Jon Driscoll & David Phillips
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Match of the Day will continue until (at least) 2018-19. So much for ITV's confidence.

Another triumph for Britain's media correspondents, there, file that one alongside Al Jazeera definitely bidding for the live rights last time they were up for grabs, with the first mention of BT coming when Richard Scudamore announced the results. Fire all the media correspondents and replace them with mlt11.

This happily also sees the end of that daft theory ITV had got rid of Chiles and Townsend to add "credibility" to their bid.

Anyway, I'm delighted, but I was always pretty certain they'd get them, ITV want exclusive primetime stuff, not something like this where it's all off-peak and needs a big infrastructure. That said, I was a bit edgy and had a bit of a start when yesterday's Sun had "SNATCH OF THE DAY" on the front page. But it just turned out to be about Danny Murphy getting a massive tax bill. So that's alright.

This contract will also mean MOTD will have its longest ever continuous run on Saturday night BBC1, previously the longest it's run continuously in that slot was fourteen seasons between 1966 and 1980, which will now be overtaken in 2018. And when rights swap around at the drop of a hat, that's really impressive.
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thursday 29th January - Sky Sports 1

Live Johnstone's Paint Trophy: Bristol City v Gillingham

Natalie Sawyer presenting from Ashton Gate alongside Dean Smith

Commentators: Gary Weaver and David Prutton

Reporter: David Craig

Nice this, watching a game to see who goes on to face Walsall in a Wembley cup final!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Natalie Sawyer presenting from Ashton Gate alongside Peter Beagrie

It's not Peter Beagrie, it's Dean Smith! Call yourself a Walsall fan?!?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not Peter Beagrie, it's Dean Smith! Call yourself a Walsall fan?!?!

:blush: Serves me right for tuning in bang on the bit where the teams are in the tunnel and guessing who Sky's pundit is!

Just when you thought the media - well, The Sunday People, Midlands Today, Central News, BBC WM, Free Radio 80s and The League Cup Show - couldn't give Walsall's Johnstone's Paint Trophy run any more coverage, Dean Smith only goes and pops up on Sky Sports 1! Looking forward to hearing from him at half-time.
  • mightymilliemightymillie Posts: 5,074
    Forum Member

ITV never said they were bidding, or even hinted it.
    The whole idea came from a story on the Telegraph website, followed by a tweet from the Guardian, which appears to have led to both organisations believing their own rumours.
    Forum Member
    Athletic Bilbao v Malaga

Sky Sports 5 HD - Dominic Johnson & Gerry Armstrong

Sevilla v ESpanyol

Sky Sports Red Button - Kevin Keatings & Garry Birtles
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed seeing Steve Cotterill join Dean Smith for the post-match punditry after the former's Bristol City side booked their place against the latter's Walsall team in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy Final tonight. Both managers were very complimentary of the other's teams and set the scene for what hopefully will be a brilliant final really well.

The final will be on Sky Sports 3, with the usual 15 minutes of build-up prior to a 3.30pm kick-off. Not that I'll be watching their coverage as I'll be at Wembley (touch wood!), but it'll be interesting to see who Sky Sports get as their pundit(s) for the final. Cotterill has said that Matt Smith (the Area Final goalscorer whose loan from Fulham will expire before the final) will be with the squad on the day, so that probably rules him out. I think Darren Byfield, a popular striker at both clubs who has done a bit of media work, would be the ideal choice. And I'd like another of Walsall's 2001 Division Two Play-Off Final winners in Don Goodman getting to do co-commentary.

I meant to post a few more general thoughts after the last FL72 game I watched, the Derby v Forest East Midlands derby, but didn't get round to it at the time. I'm not a Sky subscriber so don't watch a great deal of their football coverage, but having seen a fair bit more of their Football League and Johnstone's Paint Trophy coverage than I usually would this season, I have to really compliment them on the way they present their coverage.

While it's refreshingly free of some of the over-hype and hyperbole that goes with a lot of Premier League coverage, the presenters, commentators and pundits are all very knowledgeable and clearly do their homework about clubs they are less familiar with. Neither Simon Thomas and Natalie Sawyer stuck me as being particularly brilliant on Sky Sports News, but both a really at home as anchors on their Football League coverage and clearly enjoy what they do. Peter Beagrie is very thoughtful and perceptive as their regular pundit and the likes of Goodman, Andy Hinchcliffe, Neil Mellor and David Prutton are very strong analysts in either the punditry or co-commentary role. The three regular commentators - Bill Leslie, Dan Mann and Gary Weaver - have grown on me the more I've heard them and are very much quality successors to Rob Hawthorne and Ian Crocker. Having active managers in the studio as was the case tonight is also always very welcome, I've said on here before how I like it when this happens on The Football League Show and this is no different.

So well done to the Sky Sports FL72 team, as an infrequent viewer I always find their coverage very enjoyable.
  • ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It probably says everything about the accuracy of these reports that apparently if ITV had got the highlight rights they didn't even bid for it was likely Adrian Chiles and Andy Townsend would do the highlights show!! I see Pat Murphy from 5 Live had a bit of a go at Charles Sale on twitter after the latter said the BBC were lucky ITV didn't bid, saying 'you must be mortified Charlie that the despised BBC got a bargain so you can't slag us off for the extravagant use of the license fee' to which Sale replied 'don't count on it'.
  • clever3000clever3000 Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member

Nice this, watching a game to see who goes on to face Walsall in a Wembley cup final!

Not so nice being a Gillingham fan!!!
  • mightymilliemightymillie Posts: 5,074
    Forum Member
    Readingfan wrote: »
    It probably says everything about the accuracy of these reports that apparently if ITV had got the highlight rights they didn't even bid for it was likely Adrian Chiles and Andy Townsend would do the highlights show!! I see Pat Murphy from 5 Live had a bit of a go at Charles Sale on twitter after the latter said the BBC were lucky ITV didn't bid, saying 'you must be mortified Charlie that the despised BBC got a bargain so you can't slag us off for the extravagant use of the license fee' to which Sale replied 'don't count on it'.

Hardly a bargain when you are paying several times more than the rate of inflation in an auction where you are the only bidder.

The BBC has overpaid again, by an amount equivalent to its spend on golf and athletics.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hardly a bargain when you are paying several times more than the rate of inflation in an auction where you are the only bidder.

The BBC has overpaid again, by an amount equivalent to its spend on golf and athletics.

They're getting more for their money, though, with the extra show and the ability to put in iPlayer earlier and for longer. And did the Beeb know they were the only bidder?

If the BBC hadn't bid, or hadn't bid enough, they would have been left with the FA Cup and the tournaments which wouldn't have been any kind of football portfolio, worse than what ITV has next season. The Beeb get hours and hours of content out of the Premier League, probably more than ITV would have got out of it (they probably wouldn't have done a Focus equivalent or a results show, and certainly the Beeb are getting more out of the FA Cup than ITV did in that regard) and it gets big audiences. Worth the money.
  • cook0891cook0891 Posts: 2,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you the old Arisuk?
    Forum Member
    Premier League - World Feed

Saturday
    Hull City v Newcastle Utd - Jim Proudfoot & Chris Waddle
    Crystal Palace v Everton - Gary Taphouse & Efan Ekoku
    Liverpool v West Ham - Tony Jones & Tony Gale
    Man Utd v Leicester City - Gary Weaver & Andy Hinchcliffe
    Stoke City v QPR - Joe Speight & Alan Curbishley
    Sunderland v Burnley - David Stowell & Dean Sturridge
    West Brom v Spurs - Ian Crocker & Trevor Francis
    Chelsea v Man City - Peter Drury & Jim Beglin

Sunday
    Arsenal v Aston Villa - Jon Champion & Danny Mills
    Southampton v Swansea City - Peter Drury & Jim Beglin
  • Tony YeboahTony Yeboah Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Hull v Newcastle- Martin Fisher
    Palace v Everton- Steve Bower
    Liverpool v West Ham- Simon Brotherton
    Man Utd v Leicester- Guy Mowbray
    Stoke v QPR- Jonathan Pearce
    Sunderland v Burnley- Alistair Mann
    WBA v Spurs- Alan Green
    Chelsea v Man City- Steve Wilson

Arsenal v Villa- Steve Wilson
    Soton v Swansea- Jonathan Pearce
  • IC89IC89 Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cook0891 wrote: »
    Are you the old Arisuk?

I have no idea whether this point has already been pointed out/resolved already so I could be stating the obvious, but Arisuk stopped posting in the same month that this mightymillie signed up.

Inaccurate as that may be it did cross my mind.
  • Gazza1982Gazza1982 Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cook0891 wrote: »
    Are you the old Arisuk?

Yes i think they might be.
    IC89 wrote: »
    I have no idea whether this point has already been pointed out/resolved already so I could be stating the obvious, but Arisuk stopped posting in the same month that this mightymillie signed up.

Inaccurate as that may be it did cross my mind.

Yes the reason that you have given also crossed my mind. It's no coincidence that arius stopped posting and how mightymillie suddenly appeared at the same time. Both posters clearly have knowledge of ITV and also have underhand and pathetic digs at the BBC which are unprofessional and uncalled for.
    Forum Member
    Wolfsburg v Bayern Munich

beIN Sports 11 HD - Angus Scott with Clive Allen & Mark Hateley.

Commentary by - Andy James & Steffen Freund

BT Sports 2 HD - Peter Drury & Phil Neville
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friday 30th January - BT Sport 1

Live Scottish Premiership: Partick Thistle v St Mirren

Darrell Currie presenting from pitchside at Firhill alongside Ian Baraclough and Stephen Craigan

Commentators: Derek Rae and Gary McAllister

Reporter: Mark Guidi

BT Sport 2

Bundesliga
    VfL Wolfsburg v Bayern Munchen - Peter Drury and Phil Neville

ESPN UK

Ligue 1
    Paris Saint-Germain v Stade Rennais - Dave Farrar

I'm currently compiling the details of all of last week's BT Sport/ESPN European football coverage and am missing a few details. Does anyone know who commentated on Stade Rennais v Stade Malherbe Caen on Sunday and Empoli v Udinese on Monday, both on ESPN, and who the Federico was who was part of BT Sport 2's studio team with Paul Dempsey and James Horncastle for their coverage of Lazio v Milan on Saturday?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since I'm here, Mann and Hinchcliffe are doing Bournemouth vs Watford on Sky, Simon Thomas is with Darren Anderton and Peter Beagrie, and again I would suggest a case of Leslie doing the smaller game of the weekend because it's in the regular slot.
This discussion has been closed.