WARNING OF SCAM GOING AROUND!!! Just to let everyone know.

madlh100madlh100 Posts: 9,893
Forum Member
Just had a call and was on the phone for half an hour.

This bloke I spoke to was very convincing so I thought I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

Said that my computer was virused. That he was calling from Windows Support and that he'd called me due to an error report I sent to windows.

Asked me to get the 'run' window up and type in something which opened an Event Log, then asked me to count all the error messages and exclamations mark. When I told him there was about 50 he sounded really shocked so I definitely thought it was legit.

He told me that he could sort it out completely free.

Asked me to go to this website: http://www.winpctech.net/

It was only then that he told me it would cost me money to get new anti virus software off their company.

I really thought something was up with my computer. I could hardly understand him.

If you get a call like this then it does sound convincing and he did make me believe there was something up with my computer, but it is a con.

Comments

• Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tut I can't believe people still fall for these
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It took you half an hour to realise that somebody rang you because they were trying to sell you something?
  • LisaB599LisaB599 Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure i'd have realised in mins if they asked me if my comp had errors on it they were trying to sell me something to do with it.
  • TheDonkTheDonk Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're gonna regret posting this thread OP.:D
  • Skip_TechSkip_Tech Posts: 2,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if he is the same "expert" who sold me a mouse for my computer then tell him that when it arrived it was dead and I had to give it to the cat.

bloody microsoft

grrr
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    madlh100 wrote: »
    Just had a call and was on the phone for half an hour.

This bloke I spoke to was very convincing so I thought I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

Said that my computer was virused. That he was calling from Windows Support and that he'd called me due to an error report I sent to windows.

Asked me to get the 'run' window up and type in something which opened an Event Log, then asked me to count all the error messages and exclamations mark. When I told him there was about 50 he sounded really shocked so I definitely thought it was legit.

He told me that he could sort it out completely free.

Asked me to go to this website: http://www.winpctech.net/

It was only then that he told me it would cost me money to get new anti virus software off their company.

I really thought something was up with my computer. I could hardly understand him.

If you get a call like this then it does sound convincing and he did make me believe there was something up with my computer, but it is a con.

Going by the second comment I've bolded, you obviously didn't send an error report to Windows. Didn't that tip you off? Your normal, domestic PC isn't clever enough to know when it's got a problem and dial 'home' to report it. Still, you're a little bit wiser now than you were, so that can only be a good thing.
  • Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First the bank, then fast4net, now this? You'll believe anything OP. Want to buy some magic bananas?
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard this story time and time again, and each time someone falls for it.

Doh!
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You seem like a decent person OP.

A friend of mine in Nigeria has a problem you may be able to help with. All we need are your...
  • WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First question you should have asked yourself is "when did I give Microsoft my phone number..?"
  • tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 22,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    <Snip>Your normal, domestic PC isn't clever enough to know when it's got a problem and dial 'home' to report it.<Snip>
    Oh, yes it is! :)

Windows automatic error reporting.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Dear Beloved.

My parents have just died but I have no bank account to secure the money they left me.

Please send me your bank details and I will deposit my money in there and also dear Beloved share some of it with you as my parents would want their money safe and sound.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tanstaafl wrote: »
    Oh, yes it is! :)

Windows automatic error reporting.

Well, yes, fair point, but that's not going to trigger a phone call from someone from 'Windows Support' claiming they've picked up your report and want to help you fix it. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An interesting thing is that it is another proof that anything a site advisor tells you should be taken with a generous pinch of salt. Plug the site mentioned into McAfee Site Advisor and it comes up with a big green "safe" tick. It's only when you read the comments (which I always do) that you get nearer to the truth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, yes, fair point, but that's not going to trigger a phone call from someone from 'Windows Support' claiming they've picked up your report and want to help you fix it. :)
    Very true, although if you believe everything bad said about MS, some people would believe that they could. :)
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your normal, domestic PC isn't clever enough to know when it's got a problem and dial 'home' to report it.
    Of course it is. The OS generates event logs, and so it is perfectly possible for it to connect to a remote server and supply that information. I don't think Microsoft ever do that without asking, although they do sometimes prompt you to allow it. And whilst Microsoft don't seek to identify you from the information sent, 3rd party applications might, and they might even know where you live, if you've registered with them.

So while this is certainly a scam, it is wrong to berate people for falling for it on the grounds that it is technically implausible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly some people will still fall for this scam and it's a difficult programme to remove.

I'm sure there is something in the computer section about this.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still waiting to transfer your monie$$$
  • renard grisrenard gris Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A warning about these type of calls was on the news just a few days ago

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11754487
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    It took you half an hour to realise that somebody rang you because they were trying to sell you something?
    LisaB599 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure i'd have realised in mins if they asked me if my comp had errors on it they were trying to sell me something to do with it.
    I always work on the assumption that cold callers are after something. Even it's a company that I have a relationship with I'm suspicious. Even if there is a good reason for them to call me they are going to have to prove who they are before I'll tell them anything. For preference I'll ask for an extension/name/department then ring them back using a publicly listed number.

Barclays bank once called me claiming they had important information about my account. Before they'd explain they asked for my date of birth. I told them I wouldn't give that out to cold callers but I'd call them back. He said he couldn't give out his information. In the end I asked him what department he worked for. He said 'marketing'. So I told him that I didn't think that anything any company's marketing department had to say to me could possibly be important and I put the phone down :)
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    I'm still waiting to transfer your monie$$$

Oh wow how much are we talking about?

My account details are

59-56-69

Can't wait t hear from you again
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have had a number of calls from a company claiming my computer has sent them messages (claiming either its performing poorly or has viruses) and they are here to help fix it.

I give them about 5 minutes of my time to listen to whatever BS they want to fill me with before telling them politely that I don't want their help.

Of course its a scam, I'm sure some non computer literate people could fall for it. Even though the OP is a WUM the warning is fair as this is a real scam. I dont know what their software does (i.e. if it's malicious software or whether they are just trying to get people into buying their real software using less than noble methods). Either way, they should be ignored.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plenty of people do fall for this scam, apparently, so there's no harm in another reminder about it, and no need for FMs to sneer about the OP's warning. Someone may benefit from it.

Some experiences that people have had with calls from the phone number mentioned on the Winpc website (01414163986):

http://www.shenganda365.com/PhoneInfo/01414163986/1.html

It looks like a Glasgow number but it probably isn't.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Random call.......Im calling about your Sky System......(.I didnt let on im with Richard) Did you know it could cost £100s if it goes wrong..........were trying to help you etc, etc.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's LOADS of threads about this.