Misheard Song Lyrics

woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
Forum Member
✭✭
Inspired by another thread :) . Are there any songs in particular of which you always thought you knew the lyrics, but had them wrong?

Me, I always used to think in the Aerosmith song 'Dude Looks Like a Lady', they were singing 'Do it like a lady'.

ABBA's 'Dancing Queen' has the line 'diggin' the dancing queen', which I always thought was 'dig it, the dancing queen'.

The Wheatus song 'Teenage Dirtbag' contains the line 'he drives an IROC'... I always thought it was 'he drives and I rock' or 'walk' - I had no idea there was a car called an 'IROC'!

When I was young I also always thought that Kate Bush was singing 'Out on the wily, windy moors' rather than 'wild and windy moors'!

Comments

• fizzler333fizzler333 Posts: 2,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mate used to sing ' A year has passed since I broke my nose' to .Message in a bottle'.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Count Bobby's Love' was what I thought for years was 'Cant Buy me Love' by the Beatles.

And in the song ABC I always wanted to know why if ABC is Easy it was like 'counting cups of tea'.

(As I now know the words are really ';counting up to three' but I prefer my version) :)
  • psychedelicpsychedelic Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every time you go away you take a piece of meat with you.

Me ears are alight (Me Israelites)
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The David Guetta song 'Titanium' has a couple of lyrics I had wrong. The very first line, 'You shout it out, but I can't hear a word you say' sounds to me like 'You're shouting loud, but I can't hear a word you say'. Later, I always thought the line 'stone-hard' was 'stone heart'.
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sting's Message in the Bottle...

"years since I wrote my note" sounds like "since I broke my nose"

and in We Are Family has "let me state for the record" that sounds like "let me staple the Vicar"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Go and get stuffed" for "Going gets tough"

Billy Ocean - When the Going Gets Tough
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every time you go away you take a piece of meat with you.

Me ears are alight (Me Israelites)

From back in the days when adults wren't expected to behave like ill-disciplined children..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KShjB5jyjM
  • NestNest Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Stranglers Golden Brown - lyric is "With my mind she runs" for years I sang 'with my manchero's' ... I don't know what I thought manchero's were! :)
  • Olls~Olls~ Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (You Want to) Make a Memory by Bon Jovi.

There's a part that goes "I dug up this old photograph, Look at all that hair we had"

I was sure it was "I dug up this old photograph, Look at all that hairy hair" My Mum put me right when I was singing along to it once, but it still sounds like hairy hair :D
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Mister 'Broken Wings'

Baby, I don't understand,
    why we can't just hold on to each other's hands?

I heard as

Baby, I don't understand why we cant keep out of each others pants!

:o:D
  • Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    Mine are here.

The first person to cite the obvious ''kiss this guy'' has spent far too much time on the internet (myself excluded, obviously.) :o

I will confess to mishearing ''night tonight, gimme the other'' (Baltimora, Tarzan Boy) as ''nighty night. Get in the oven, get in the oven'' though.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Ain't that a shame
    My
    tits fell like rain"

I was convinced it was this when I was younger.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I always thought the lyrics to THIS were "I'm blue in Aberdeen, I would die in Aberdeen" which is a sentiment that anybody who's visited the place could probably sympathise with. :p
  • Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    I had a friend who thought the old Outhere Brothers song "Wiggle Wiggle" said, instead of;

"Girl you know you are the one, lick my ass and make me c**" was
    "Girl you know you are the one, kick my ass and make me c**"

Always made us chuckle.
  • ToriamathToriamath Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to think the lyrics to Umbrella were 'Under my arm forever', not 'Under my umbrella'. The song name made much more sense when I worked it out.
  • NatoPMTNatoPMT Posts: 3,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eye of the Tiger

"And the last known survivor wets his bed in the night"

I must google that and see what the real words are

EDT: 'The last known survivor stalks his prey in the night"
  • ML11ML11 Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Bee Gees - How Deep Is Your Love. I used to think they were singing the line - and we're living in a world of poofs instead of and we're living in a world of fools........
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mirror, Mirror by Dollar. I spent years wondering why the second line of the chorus was 'Pick me a banana, so fine, so fine"

And I had no idea until I found the lyrics that The Visitors by Abba was about a conspirator in East Germany whose house was being raided by the secret police (not the typical subject for Abba you have to admit) :)

And I still struggle to understand Abba's Should I laugh or Cry.
  • Trudi MonkTrudi Monk Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was my sister
    Mull of Kintyre
    ' mist rolling in from the sea'
    She heard as
    'Me strolling in from the sea'
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Not one I misheard myself but I had a luagh when I heard about it and that people were angered by the supposed lyrics.

I Predict A Riot for some people sounds like I Predict Tourettes :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Belfast Boney M

when the country rings the living bell, you're last

When the country rings the leaving bell you're lost
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bowling For Soup, 1985. When I first heard it I thought one of the lines in the chorus went "There was YouTube and Blondie and Music still on MTV" instead of "There was U2 and Blondie..."
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On 'Don't Stand So Close To Me' when Sting sings 'Just like the old man in that book by Nabokov' I always hear it as 'I am a pretentious arse inserting an inaccurate and inappropriate literary reference into a lyric which was already dodgy enough to be getting on with'.
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Inspired by another thread :) . Are there any songs in particular of which you always thought you knew the lyrics, but had them wrong?

Me, I always used to think in the Aerosmith song 'Dude Looks Like a Lady', they were singing 'Do it like a lady'.

ABBA's 'Dancing Queen' has the line 'diggin' the dancing queen', which I always thought was 'dig it, the dancing queen'.

The Wheatus song 'Teenage Dirtbag' contains the line 'he drives an IROC'... I always thought it was 'he drives and I rock' or 'walk' - I had no idea there was a car called an 'IROC'!

When I was young I also always thought that Kate Bush was singing 'Out on the wily, windy moors' rather than 'wild and windy moors'!
    I'm not having that! it's surely 'Dude looks like a lady' ,everyone must know that..
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »
    I'm not having that! it's surely 'Dude looks like a lady' ,everyone must know that..

I do now. ;):o