Options

What do People think about Wales and the Welsh People

Comments

• Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Llanbobble's my favourite place, and Rhod Gilbert's my favourite comedian. ;)
  • Options
    punkyfish50punkyfish50 Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm English born and have lived in south Wales for nearly three years now and love it here.

Newport is a much maligned city and has suffered through decades of municipal incompetence and its reputation for binge drinkers and ASBO cases (though really its no worse than any other city,) but is also one of the friendliest places I've ever known. It's a place that genuinely sticks together and has a lot of hidden treasures, like its parks and the Wetlands, hidden among the dreck.

Cardiff is great for its capital city amenities and the bay together with nearby Penarth and Barry Island for their views along the Severn.

Swansea has a more authentically Welsh feel to it than Cardiff, but has really fun and relaxed nightlife and Swansea Bay beach is a great place to chill out and enjoy the panoramic vista from the burners of Port Talbot right round to the Mumbles.

Plus more places of natural beauty than I could possibly list, including the Gower, the Wye Valley and Cwmcarn Forest, to name but a few.

It's a fantastic country whose only disadvantage is its employment situation, many places still never recovering from the decline of the mines and other heavy industry in the eighties, let alone the current recession.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    I like wales, it's a beautiful country. The accent is lovely however the language was clearly invented by someone losing at scrabble :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sutie wrote: »
    Llanbobble's my favourite place, and Rhod Gilbert's my favourite comedian. ;)

But have you ever been to Llanbobl? :p
  • Options
    wayne71wayne71 Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    I'm English born and have lived in south Wales for nearly three years now and love it here.

Newport is a much maligned city and has suffered through decades of municipal incompetence and its reputation for binge drinkers and ASBO cases (though really its no worse than any other city,) but is also one of the friendliest places I've ever known.[highlight] It's a place that genuinely sticks together[/highlight] and has a lot of hidden treasures, like its parks and the Wetlands, hidden among the dreck.

Cardiff is great for its capital city amenities and the bay together with nearby Penarth and Barry Island for their views along the Severn.

Swansea has a more authentically Welsh feel to it than Cardiff, but has really fun and relaxed nightlife and Swansea Bay beach is a great place to chill out and enjoy the panoramic vista from the burners of Port Talbot right round to the Mumbles.

Plus more places of natural beauty than I could possibly list, including the Gower, the Wye Valley and Cwmcarn Forest, to name but a few.

It's a fantastic country whose only disadvantage is its employment situation, many places still never recovering from the decline of the mines and other heavy industry in the eighties, let alone the current recession.

Funny you should say that because every though we are a small city with a population of about 120 thousand (i think), it seems that everyone knows everyone else, hard to explain.

which part of Newport are you living to ? Im Corpa road born and bread and still here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wayne71 wrote: »
    Funny you should say that because every though we are a small city with a population of about 120 thousand (i think), it seems that everyone knows everyone else, hard to explain.

which part of Newport are you living to ? Im Corpa road born and bread and still here.

My mother's shop is on Corp Rd. :)
  • Options
    John RobinsonJohn Robinson Posts: 2,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    Didn't George Bush ask Charlotte Church which part of England Wales was in? I can see why it's confusing for non-UK people that the UK has 4 different countries in one country. When I watch US news programmes, they often refer to the PM of England or the Queen of England.

As for what I think of Wales and the Welsh, I am Welsh so my attitude is positive!

Isn't Wales that little sticky-out bit of England on the west coast?

Some of the people who live there speak a funny language, at least they do when you walk into their local pub.

I think they all belong to male-voice choirs, as well - even the women.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    digami wrote: »
    My mother's shop is on Corp Rd. :)

Really ? small world, let me think...vialass & ben ? If not gimme a clue, is it a newsagents ?
  • Options
    punkyfish50punkyfish50 Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm in Rogy so I'm out in the 'burbs which some might argue doesn't really count as Newport. It's a happy balance between the city and the countryside (and the Severn which I can see if I stand on tiptoes from my bathroom window :))
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really ? small world, let me think...vialass & ben ? If not gimme a clue, is it a newsagents ?

It's just after the George Street lights on the left before Cyril Street...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Special K_ wrote: »
    Well all I hear about wales and welsh people is that you are all sheep shaggers.

JOKE!

My Male Mates love there inbred attraction to shed :-P Wanking material isn't hard to find because of all the sheep, and if you are in Cardiff like myself just lay back and wank to the clouds :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh an recently voted Cardiff's St. Davids Shopping Center best place to shop in the world apparently...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sentenza wrote: »
    The Welsh flag needs changing i think it is a bit scarey for visitors and not welcoming enough , makes the Welsh seem hostile.
    Multi coloured sheep prancing around a field would be a much nicer flag far more welcoming to different cultures and put Wales on the map.

Just noticed this post. I'm sure you're just joshing of course but I've never seen a more attractive flag than the Welsh one.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if the weather holds up tomorrow I am planning on spending the day there on my motorbike.
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Welsh people I've met have been slightly unstable.

That is all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's just after the George Street lights on the left before Cyril Street...

The mini-market, used to be a Turkish cafe ?
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wales = Thoughts of sheep and wellingtons....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The mini-market, used to be a Turkish cafe ?

I'm being so cryptic aren't I? Woof...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm being so cryptic aren't I? Woof...

My staffy needs a good bath but i cant get him in there because he goes nuts, maybe your mother could help me out ? or am i barking up the wrong tree lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Wales has a lot of parallels with America's Deep South.

Deeply dependent on agriculture and mining, widely viewed as being poor and backward and full of rednecks, but all the same very distinct in culture, history and natural beauty which their neighbours seem to lack.
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Deeply dependent on agriculture and mining, widely viewed as being poor and backward and full of rednecks, but all the same very distinct in culture, history and natural beauty which their neighbours seem to lack.

Personally I like Jack Daniels but that's as far as it goes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My staffy needs a good bath but i cant get him in there because he goes nuts, maybe your mother could help me out ? or am i barking up the wrong tree lol.

Lol, you're barking up the right tree. ;) Give her a bell. She's there every Monday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think a lot of the Welsh immigrants ended up in the deep south. Could be wrong about that though...I'll check it out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wales ?? Never been there, sorry.
  • Options
    Kat1966Kat1966 Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been there a lot (not hard to get from where I live) and really like it, both South Wales and North Wales.

I like the bilingual road signs, just wish someone could tell me how to pronounce the one for slow ~ araf and ysgol for school and things like that. Always start looking for them past Oswestry!

North Wales is probably my favourite part of the country, I love the Snowdonia mountains, Llanberis Pass, where I can sit for hours on one of the rocks there and just feel so peaceful, I also like the seaside towns in the North, apart from Rhyl, love Colwyn Bay, Llandudno, and especially Rhos ~ on ~ Sea, where we spent a lovely afternoon a couple of months ago, then drove back through Llandudno, Llanberis Pass and Betws ~y ~coed (my apologies because I think I have spelt that one wrong)

South Wales, I like Tenby and the surrounding area, Swansea and Cardiff, not been into the Valleys much, but what I have seen I really do like. I like Barry Island as well.

To be honest, I've never noticed any rudeness from any Welsh person when we have been there, talking in Welsh or anything like that, I've always found them to be really pleasant and in fact wouldn't mind moving there one day.