LG Nexus 4 officially announced

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine has been delivered this morning to replace my original HTC Desire. cant wait to get home from work to play with it
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    jemimabond wrote: »
    Mine has been delivered this morning to replace my original HTC Desire. cant wait to get home from work to play with it

I'm sure you won't be disappointed. :)
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely. I've come straight from a Huawei G300 so I've skipped dual core phones too. It's such a big jump. Even with all my apps and games on it, it runs like a beauty.

I've never tried out the Apex launcher, I've always used Go Launcher EX. How do they compare?

The first thing I did was root mine too, though I haven't loaded any custom ROMS on there yet. I wanted access to apps like Titanium Backup and DataSync which of course aren't available on non-rooted phones. I can't imagine not rooting my Android devices now.

Apex I have found to be pretty light. You still pretty much maintain the stock Android look but there are many tweaks and customizations in the Apex settings menu. Go got very annoying, constant prompts for downloading stuff and it seemed very unstable. Apex just sits on top of Android and you barely "see" it. But you can for example take away the google search bar, which you cant do on default home screen, you can also add or take away home screens, alter swipe transitions etc. Give it a try, and have a play with it.

I also found Apex to be easy on the battery as opposed to Go.

You can always download custom skins too for it and they all run great and very stable.
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went from Go to Nova which is very similar to Apex, overall i prefered Nova though but opinions are about 50/50 split on the two.
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jemimabond wrote: »

Oh you are going to be gutted you didnt spend over 500 quid on a S4 or Xperia Z, i dont know how you will manage with the lack of power that the Nexus 4 displays and the screen is utter shit because it isnt 1080p, it is so blocky on the N4 and Google will never update it again, terrible way to spend under £280 :D
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    The Sack wrote: »
    Oh you are going to be gutted you didnt spend over 500 quid on a S4 or Xperia Z, i dont know how you will manage with the lack of power that the Nexus 4 displays and the screen is utter shit because it isnt 1080p, it is so blocky on the N4 and Google will never update it again, terrible way to spend under £280 :D

Yeah, you are going to kick yourself for not going for that octo-core S4. Oh, wait a minute..........:D
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still yet to find anything the Nexus 4 doesn't handle well.

Tip for folks who have just taken delivery, Amazon have a decent range of case choices and many for under a fiver! The back is glass, so don't risk breaking it!
    Forum Member
    Yes, my case cost £3 off ebay and I reckon has saved my bacon once or twice...
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...and Google will never update it again, terrible way to spend under £280 :D
    The S3 has never been that much more if you look.

It will be even better value later in the year.
    Like the N4, 720p wins it for me.
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »

It will be even better value later in the year.
    Like the N4, 720p wins it for me.
    Pay-as-you-go

3 Mobile is offering the 16GB handset for £499.99.

Phone only

Amazon is selling the marble white 16GB handset for £499.95 and will have some in stock from 4 June.

Play.com is offering the pebble blue model on pre-order at £499.99 with free delivery.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/jun/01/samsung-galaxy-s3-price-check
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone tried out the daydream (screensaver) feature yet? I have google currents installed. And when my phone goes to sleep, it displays the current news stories scrolling across the screen from the app. Very cool!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL konebyvax,

don't look back or even there. There was already far better at the time.
    And notice how no comments were allowed on that one, even though it was allowed on their other price checks.

A new S3 can now be had close to £350. Before, the best price happened to be complete with a contract.
    Forum Member
    LOL konebyvax,

don't look back or even there. There was already far better at the time.
    And notice how no comments were allowed on that one, even though it was allowed on their other price checks.

A new S3 can now be had close to £350. Before, the best price happened to be complete with a contract.

Of course it can; there's a shiny new successor about to be unleashed. But you originally claimed:

So I looked. And your claim proved to be patently not true. ;)
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    Anyone tried out the daydream (screensaver) feature yet? I have google currents installed. And when my phone goes to sleep, it displays the current news stories scrolling across the screen from the app. Very cool!

I found it a big drain on my Nexus 7 battery so never bothered.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    So I looked. And your claim proved to be patently not true. ;)
    You read the Guardian, the worlds worst site for tech marketing and to me, history rewriting.
    The savvy price back then was £25 a month from loads of places. It will be for the S4 too maybe.
    Incidentally Tesco had about the best deal. Maybe they will do the same again.

Yet even £25 a month is double the N4 cost so always great value.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

LOL. I got mine through Dialaphone. ad never used them before and was slightly apprehensive as Id read somewhat differing reviews about them but have to say I cant fault them and with a free Nexus 4, 600 mins, unlimited texts, 500gb data and 250gb wifi for £21pm on Vodafone it was worth a gamble.

I did go in to mu local Vodafone shop to see what they had to offer and tried to tempt with a new xperia Z which with my NHS employee advantage discount i couldve used with them wouldve brought that down to £33.

Doesnt really compare does it even thoug its supposedly "a far better phone"

Loving it so far although the size is taking a bit of getting used to having used an HTC Desire for the last 2 years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still yet to find anything the Nexus 4 doesn't handle well.

Tip for folks who have just taken delivery, Amazon have a decent range of case choices and many for under a fiver! The back is glass, so don't risk breaking it!

Yip. Got a rubber/silicone smoke black case for £2.50
    Forum Member
    You read the Guardian, the worlds worst site for tech marketing and to me, history rewriting.

The savvy price back then was £25 a month from loads of places. It will be for the S4 too maybe.

So now we have progressed to the contract price? Where was the mention of this in your original (since proved to be nonsense) claim? Is it really so hard to just admit your were wrong?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    My bumper case arrived today, despite thick layers of bubble wrapping the Neanderthal couriers managed to destroy the package and bend the bumper almost in half.
    Despite the damage it does fit and looks good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    So now we have progressed to the contract price? Where was the mention of this in your original (since proved to be nonsense) claim? Is it really so hard to just admit your were wrong?
    Your time machine linked to all contract prices but for one solitary PAYG price

We are comparing it to the now price of the fairly new Nexus 4.
    I imagine it was less PAYG in a better time machine too.
    Forum Member
    Your time machine linked to all contract prices but for one solitary PAYG price

We are comparing it to the now price of the fairly new Nexus 4.
    I imagine it was less PAYG in a better time machine too.

Where to start? :eek:As my late mother might have said when witnessing your posts on here 'There's something not quite right about that chap'. Very perceptive woman.

You clearly can't count either.

Phone only

Amazon is selling the marble white 16GB handset for £499.95 and will have some in stock from 4 June.

Play.com is offering the pebble blue model on pre-order at £499.99 with free delivery.

Both can be used on any network.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/jun/01/samsung-galaxy-s3-price-check

Now let's look at your original claim AGAIN (in response to a post pointing out the N4s £280 price)

Now, if admitting you are wrong when you clearly you are is too much of a dent to your ego surely it's best to not keep digging that hole. Just don't respond and i will very probably have forgotten all about you and this debacle in a day or so.
  • Young TurksYoung Turks Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi All

Is Nexus 4 actually 4G enabled? some reviews say it is, some it isn't.

What is the maximum speed you got when you tested?

And finally why can't I find this phone on highstreet shops?

They seem to be selling tablet version but not the payg sim free phone version. I am not quite keen to buy from Google play, as some customers seem to have had some problems with after sale service.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Hi All

They seem to be selling tablet version but not the payg sim free phone version. I am not quite keen to buy from Google play, as some customers seem to have had some problems with after sale service.

PAYG and Sim Free are different things. The former ties your to a network, the latter lets you choose the network. You can pick it up on the high street from Carphone Warehouse for £399.95 for Sim Free or £379.95 + £10 Top-up.

That, at best, is a whole £110 more than it is to buy it on Google Play. Some customers will have had bad after sales services, but the vast majority would have been fine. You're more likely to write a bad review than a good one.

It's not 4G enabled either. A few devs in Canada found out 4G could be enabled, but it it is not compatible on UK Spectrum AFAIK. Not really an issue anyway when only EE are offering 4G at the moment anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jordosaur wrote: »
    That, at best, is a whole £110 more than it is to buy it on Google Play
    In this case the Play store is obviously a bit like Dell really. Cut out the middleman and you do not pay the usual 40% markup.

And we are lucky in Britain having a relatively very competitive network market. They get ripped off bad in the US.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi All

Max speed I have got so far is 17mbps download speed which is pretty fast for a non 4G phone. But it will vary depending where you are and what network you use. I'm with three.