Options

Mothers day after death

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
Forum Member
Hello,

My gran (in her 90s) died in September. The family (my mum, dad and me) are all still very raw.

This is my mums first mothers day without her mum so it will be very hard day but will support her like I do every day and get her to talk about things.

I have thought about mothers day a lot for the last month or 2 about what card to get?
(a blank one with a message inside? or a mothers day card with mother on it) I don't want they're to be a reminder up in the living room but then a blank one might make her question why its a blank one.

Also about presents I don't want her associate them with mothers day and the hurt she felt.

I'm in my early 20s if that helps.

Thank you
Claire

Comments

• Options
    hurrikane313hurrikane313 Posts: 2,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your mum will probably appreciate it if you do things as you usually would, what would hurt her more than losing her mother is if you felt you had to treat things differently now. The pain that she and you are going through is not something that will ever go away, it will be easier to deal with over time, but certain days no matter how much time has passed will be difficult.

Be there and let her know she is loved, no message or showing of that love is going to make her think of anything other than what a caring daughter she has.
  • Options
    PolominiPolomini Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's bound to be raw still for all of you, but though she's lost her own mother, she's still your mother, so do what you would normally do for her, and a bit more to show her how much she means to you.
  • Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    Maybe just talk openly to your mum before the day, and ask her if she'd prefer to do anything different on the day, under the circumstances?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Your mum will probably appreciate it if you do things as you usually would, what would hurt her more than losing her mother is if you felt you had to treat things differently now. The pain that she and you are going through is not something that will ever go away, it will be easier to deal with over time, but certain days no matter how much time has passed will be difficult.

Be there and let her know she is loved, no message or showing of that love is going to make her think of anything other than what a caring daughter she has.
    Never thought about it that way but you have a point, I suppose me acting strange is going to bring it home more! yeah sometimes feel rushed like I should be ok with it by now (due to some inconsiderate people at work joking about death recently) you are so right in saying certain days will be hard no matter how much time and healing. Thank you for the reply
    Polomini wrote: »
    It's bound to be raw still for all of you, but though she's lost her own mother, she's still your mother, so do what you would normally do for her, and a bit more to show her how much she means to you.
    Thank you :) will just get her present and card and make sure she really looked after and let her know I'm here for her and how much I appreciate everything she does for the family ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    makeba72 wrote: »
    Maybe just talk openly to your mum before the day, and ask her if she'd prefer to do anything different on the day, under the circumstances?

Yes, that has crossed my mind I don't want to upset her though or make her feel awkward
  • Options
    JojofobJojofob Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    This will be my first Mothers day without my mum who passed away 8 weeks ago today. I feel incredibly sad whenever I pass the card stands but know I'm going to have to pluck up the courage to buy a card for my mother-in-law someday soon :-(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jojofob wrote: »
    This will be my first Mothers day without my mum who passed away 8 weeks ago today. I feel incredibly sad whenever I pass the card stands but know I'm going to have to pluck up the courage to buy a card for my mother-in-law somecday soon :-(

Aww Jojo, I'm really sorry to hear about your mums passing, no words can make it easier. 8 weeks, it is all so raw and painful. Will keep you in my thoughts. Yes the stands are awful and the tv adverts, sometimes I think the companies don't think about those out there that don't have a mother to spoil. That's nice that you are still wanting to get your mother in law a card but sure she would understand if you didn't.
  • Options
    PolominiPolomini Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This will be my first Mothers day without my mum who passed away 8 weeks ago today. I feel incredibly sad whenever I pass the card stands but know I'm going to have to pluck up the courage to buy a card for my mother-in-law someday soon :-(

You have my sympathies - I lost my Dad six weeks ago today, and I know it's going to be hard when Father's Day comes round this year. It's seven years since I lost my Mum and I still get pangs at Mother's Day.

I try and tell myself it's the natural progression of passing these things on down the line, but, well, it doesn't really help.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Condolences on the loss of your mum. I'm sure your mother-in-law will understand if you don't get her a card this year. Celebrate the memories of your mum on the 30th.
  • Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    claire77 wrote: »
    Yes, that has crossed my mind I don't want to upset her though or make her feel awkward

FWIW, I'd suggest that your fears (which I totally understand) are probably unfounded. I reckon if you can find the right place and time, it would be just fine. Why guess, when you can possibly find out from the source?

I often think we tie ourselves in knots, over-complicating things (with the best of intentions) that are really pretty simple.

All best wishes to you.
  • Options
    hrh7hrh7 Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member

That's so sad for you, I do hope you find a way through it.

My sister passed away 13 years ago and I still get pangs when I see "sister" birthday cards in the shop, I often have a little cry. I haven't lost my mum yet so can't imagine what mothering sunday would be like when you lose them. I miss my mother-in-law nearly every day, she passed away just after my sister and had been an incredible support to us after our loss so it was awful losing her too, esp. as I was closer to her than my own mother.

OP, as others have said, just be normal with your mum, she's still your mum, even though she's lost hers and you've lost a nan.
  • Options
    JojofobJojofob Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Thank you everyone for your kind words of help and Polomini I'm so sorry about your loss. It is still very raw and very hard when I live 400 miles away from the rest of my family and where mum is buried. Luckily I have the most fantastic husband who has been so supportive in helping me through this very emotional time.
  • Options
    BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't want to start a new thread...my partner's mum died on Christmas day, so this is her first mothers day without her mum.

She's at uni with me, and I don't know what to do/how/if to approach it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too much importance placed on what is essentially a day to make money out of children.

Before anyone wades in to attack, I have lost parents, and did not let a commercial day get me down!

Remember your parents everyday! Not just on Fathers/Mothers Day!
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too much importance placed on what is essentially a day to make money out of children.

Before anyone wades in to attack, I have lost parents, and did not let a commercial day get me down!

Remember your parents everyday! Not just on Fathers/Mothers Day!

That's great for you but not everyone is like you. I'm not attacking. It's great that it doesn't bother you. But not everyone is that lucky.

I lost my mum in December 2012. Mother's Day last year was very hard for me. Not because I missed my mum more or less than I did and do every day. But because for the first time in my life I wasn't buying a mother days card. And they are EVERYWHERE. As are adverts for this possible gift and that possible gift etc.

You for a short time basically live in a country where every turn has a reminder that this year you can't buy something for your mother for mother day. And even if you a did, for whatever sentimental reason. You can't give it to her. That for a lot of people is massively hard.

As was my mums birthday and my own birthday etc.

This year is proving equally hard because I'd still give anything to be buying a card for my mother.

OP. All you can finis be supportive. You sadly can't make it any better. But being there and being supportive helps.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I lost my dad about a month before fathers day, 5 years ago when I was 23. The first year was tough, but I bought grandad a card instead of my dad - he had been so good to me throughout the whole business of the funeral and everything. Since then I have got used to it and it hardly costs me a thought now.

I think the best thing you can do OP is to send your mum some flowers and make it about her. At upwards of age 90 unfortunately it is just that time when it's time for your to move on, and your mum will accept that and be happy that you still appreciate her as a mum. You sound as though you are trying to be the mum in this mother daughter relationship, but you don't have to. Your mum has the experience and heart to go through her first mother's day without you fretting too much.
  • Options
    hurrikane313hurrikane313 Posts: 2,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why can you not buy your mum a card, and leave it at her grave or in your own home on display. My own mum has been gone for close to 8 years but every year I still buy her a card and flowers, just because she is gone that does not mean I do not feel thankful for everything she did for me and forget she was my mum. It really is a good way of keeping her alive in your heart and your memories.

You have my deepest sympathies on your loss, and it is part of your job to keep her memory alive. I am sure your own kids if you have them will want you to talk about their grandma at some point, do not let her be forgotten.
  • Options
    WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    I lost my dad 40 years ago. My mum 21 years ago. My brother 5 years ago and my son 31 years ago.

Losing those we love is part of life. Mothers & Fathers day are for other people now. I miss them all but their loss has made me the person I am today.

Those we love are never really gone.

Life really is wonderful and I have such happy memories:)
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why can you not buy your mum a card, and leave it at her grave or in your own home on display. My own mum has been gone for close to 8 years but every year I still buy her a card and flowers, just because she is gone that does not mean I do not feel thankful for everything she did for me and forget she was my mum. It really is a good way of keeping her alive in your heart and your memories.

You have my deepest sympathies on your loss, and it is part of your job to keep her memory alive. I am sure your own kids if you have them will want you to talk about their grandma at some point, do not let her be forgotten.

I agree with this. My mum's ashes are placed in a part of the countryside that's very hard for me to get to (I don't drive), but what hurrikane suggests is a great idea.

Your mum could also buy some flowers for a local old folks' home, to be shown in a communal area or something? Just a "giving thanks to all mothers who live here" sort of gesture.

I'm so sorry for everyone here's loss, by the way. It's over two years since my mum died but I can still remember how raw it got. *hugs* x
  • Options
    Forum Member

I think this is a great idea. My sister passed away on 12th night 2001 just as we were taking the Christmas cards down. I won't go into details but the card she'd sent that year was almost prophetic, very meaningful (and we didn't know she was going to die, tho arguably she did). I kept it and every year since when I put my cards up, hers goes up too. Funnily enough I thought this year, I might not need to do it again, but I've kept it just in case.

I've noticed when I go to visit the chapel in the crem where she's remembered in the book on the anniversary of her death, that a lot of people pin birthday and Christmas cards up in there. Maybe if your nan was cremated, you could do that... or even if she wasn't. I love to read what people have said about loved ones in there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mother died on Mothers Day last year...
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dad has been dead 7 years today. It feels just like any other day. I thought of him this morning but I can't really say I feel sad. I never thought the day would come when I'd say that but I honestly think that I was so upset when he died and I cried and cried for so long that I cried it out of my system.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Chocdoc wrote: »
    My mother died on Mothers Day last year...
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    My dad has been dead 7 years today. It feels just like any other day. I thought of him this morning but I can't really say I feel sad. I never thought the day would come when I'd say that but I honestly think that I was so upset when he died and I cried and cried for so long that I cried it out of my system.

Thinking of you both Chocdoc & Hotgossip at this difficult time. :cry:

Thank you Hotgossip for sharing with us that it really has got easier with time and processing the grief. Still catches us out occasionally doesn't it?
  • Options
    justamummyjustamummy Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    my mum died last year, the anniversary of her death wil be the same week as mothers day this year. I still want my daughter to get me something for mothers day.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know how to say this without coming across as callous, and I am certainly not intending to be so - but it must surely make a difference to lose someone in their 90's who has lived a full life. Although we all miss our relatives, we all know they will leave us sometime.

I expect this is possibly not quite as hard for your mum, as maybe it is for you.

My father died in his 50s after a long illness. My mum died in her 80s. It really was harder to cope with losing my father.