Options

What is it about Christianity and Islam which turns some people into extremist nuts?

Comments

• Options
    Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what? Britain is, historically, a Christian country. It's not as though other religions are persecuted, quite the opposite.

Many here argue that Catholics, Muslims, Jews are suffering from persecution. Though, there is some truth, it isn't anything like the USA, Burma, Israel etc...
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    Don`t let the facts get in the way here, as far as the majority of British people are concerned the IRA were fighting to make the Hail Mary compulsory. :confused:

That just demonstrates how majorities take the line of least thought when it comes to complex matters.
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    I was born in the late 1940's and believe me Catholics were regarded as second class citizens in this country.

Of course.
  • Options
    GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    Wrong. Catholics are banned from becoming Head Of State and before you say it would not make sense for a non C of E person to be head of that church, the law does not prohibit Jews or Muslims. That is why Britain needs to move into the modern world.

How many people, are ever likely to become head of state? Such laws affect 0.00000001% of the population.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    That just demonstrates how majorities take the line of least thought when it comes to complex matters.

I find British people can be placed in one of three camps on Irish affairs.
    1. Ex British army members who saw their mate being shot or blown up and bear a grudge to this day.
    2. Those with some Irish or Scottish connection, Glasgow Rangers fans who have their own axe to grind. Quite literally.
    3. The vast majority, what I call mushroom people, kept in the dark and fed, well you know what I mean.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's examine the rights of gay people and women in the countries you mention, shall we?

You discussed about women driving and not women rights.

If you wish to discuss a wider topic on women right, then so be it.

I could argue tit for tat that countries like Bangladesh, Pakistan etc.... have elected women leaders; something that is missing in most western countries. Eventually I would be on losing ground and generally will come off as a troll.

And that would be ridiculous and I do accept that those countries have poor women rights.

Women Rights in Britain is a lot better but needs to go some way further. They are still discriminated against.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many people, are ever likely to become head of state? Such laws affect 0.00000001% of the population.

It led to persecution of Catholic people for centuries, is more the point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And?

We could have the most amazing person who would be absolutely brilliant and s/he can't become a head of state because of her Catholicism. Such laws needs removing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lil_M wrote: »
    And?

We could have the most amazing person who would be absolutely brilliant and s/he can't become a head of state because of her Catholicism. Such laws needs removing.

If Royalty wanted to marry a Catholic nowadays, believe me the law would change. We have the future King now married to a divorcee, previously unheard of! That's the power Royalty still hold.

Edward the 8th was forced to advocate and live in isolation from the country and the lot of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Royalty wanted to marry a Catholic nowadays, believe me the law would change. We have the future King now married to a divorcee, previously unheard of!

Which future king? sorry don't know who tbh.

It should be changed now, not when some Royal falls in love.
  • Options
    GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    And?

They would far more likely be denied due to, I don't know, not being royal?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bring up a whole another thread. One for Republicans and Monarchists.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It should be changed now, not when some Royal falls in love.

Our future King, Prince Charles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our future King, Prince Charles.

oh right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Kate Middleton is a commoner. I wonder what the attitude would have been of she'd been Catholic too! :D

Still one step at a time, over centuries, for Royalty is all we can expect ey?

At least the search for a suitable Aristocratic/Royal virgin is off.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

Charles, Prince of Wales and heir apparent of Queen Elizabeth but you knew that anyway.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As others have said, those who become religious seem to leave all reason, common sense and rationality behind.

Favouring faith over evidence is very dangerous, as this story demonstrates.

Snippet from article:
    That boy, a two-year-old named Kent, died after the Schaibles refused to take him to the doctor when he became sick, relying instead on faith and prayer. The couple were convicted of involuntary manslaughter and sentenced to 10 years on probation.

In the latest tragedy, they told police that they prayed for God to heal Brandon instead of taking him to a doctor when he fell ill. Officials said that an autopsy will be performed on the child, and depending on those results the parents may be charged with a crime.

The couple attend, and have taught at, Philadelphia’s First Century Gospel Church, which cites Biblical scripture favoring prayer and faith over modern medicine. Other religions, including Followers of Christ Church, Christian Scientists, and Scientology, have doctrines that prohibit or discourage modern medicine and therapeutic interventions.

Blindly following their religious beliefs resulted in the death of TWO of their children.

Reason, rationality and common sense: 0 out of 10
    Faith: 10 out of 10

These people may not walk around with bombs in their rucksacks, but they are extremist nuts in my book.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As others have said, those who become religious seem to leave all reason, common sense and rationality behind.

Snippet from article:

Blindly following their religious beliefs resulted in the death of TWO of their children.

These people may not walk around with bombs in their rucksacks, but they are extremist nuts in my book.

You missed out Jehova's brainwashed Witnesses.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And?

Start by decapitating say 0.00000001% of the population, then hold elections
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Catholics take their faith seriously and people do not realise just how hateful and hurtful it is to have it treated this way. It encourages outdated anti Catholic bigotry, still very much alive in the north of Ireland. Where do people think the Orange Order and their fellow travellers take their bigotry from? Political pygmies like Jeffrey Donaldson would have a fit if Britain moved into the modern world.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Catholics take their faith seriously and people do not realise just how hateful and hurtful it is to have it treated this way. It encourages outdated anti Catholic bigotry, still very much alive in the north of Ireland. Where do people think the Orange Order and their fellow travellers take their bigotry from? Political pygmies like Jeffrey Donaldson would have a fit if Britain moved into the modern world.

All basically because Henry the 8th had the power and also wanted to get divorced. He created the Church of England then went on a murdering rampage of Catholics. It's totally unbelievable that this is still a stigma for Royals 500 years later.
  • Options
    Wolfman13Wolfman13 Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad that Catholicism don't consider contraception and homosexuality no longer a sin and moved into the modern world, oh wait.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Snippet from article:

But not the raging murdering lunatics indicated in the original post.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm glad that Catholicism don't consider contraception and homosexuality no longer a sin and moved into the modern world, oh wait.

Created a thread a few week ago about how Catholicism is moving into the modern world.

Vatican legitimizes process of exorcism
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrQuike wrote: »
    But not the raging murdering lunatics indicated in the original post.

Your right. They were 'convicted of involuntary manslaughter and then did it again' lunatics.