Do You Believe You Can Makeover A House In An Hour?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
Forum Member
✭✭
They try to make us plebs believe this on the tv all the time on 60 minute makeover!! :eek:

I don't believe it for ONE minute - let alone 60!! :D

*ok, I know there's a lot of em - but seriously - they expect us to believe they can fit carpets, wallpaper - and Install A New Kitchen in an hour! Of course you can!!* :rolleyes:;)

Comments

• PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No - and if you can ... its rubbish quality.

They dont seem to do any undercoating, or priming or finishing of any kind. I tell you, they must walk out the door at the end of the show and before they hit the end of the street the wallpaper would be peeling off the walls !!!
  • ButterflygirlButterflygirl Posts: 779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I don't believe it either. Those bits where they say 2 minutes to go, have you ever tried doing stuff in 2 minutes?

Mind you, they are welcome to come and show me in my house and I will be happy to be proved wrong ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »

They dont seem to do any undercoating, or priming or finishing of any kind. I tell you, they must walk out the door at the end of the show and before they hit the end of the street the wallpaper would be peeling off the walls !!!

:D Your right! I don't get how they can install light fittings and put pictures up on the still tacky (literally) walls and ceilings!

&sometimes they say 'Oh I think we'll KEEP THE FLOOR in here' - and I think Oh No, surely not - there's PLENTY of time to rip up wooden flooring and lay a new one!!

What a cop-out! Lazy so and so's and cowards......:D
  • MissbegottenMissbegotten Posts: 1,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HALibutt wrote: »
    They try to make us plebs believe this on the tv all the time on 60 minute makeover!! :eek:

I don't believe it for ONE minute - let alone 60!! :D

*ok, I know there's a lot of em - but seriously - they expect us to believe they can fit carpets, wallpaper - and Install A New Kitchen in an hour! Of course you can!!* :rolleyes:;)

Of course they can. They empty the house completely so that there is nothing in the way. Then they do all the prep work such as sanding and filling holes. They also pre-cut the wallpaper to size.

It's really just the actual sticking wallpaper on walls or painting that they have to do in the hour. As for the carpet fitting, if you have four blokes all trimming the carpet it doesn't take more than a couple of minutes to lay and trim it.

Similarly with the kitchen. Strip out all the old units, make up the new cabinets, and pre-cut the worktops and all you are really needing to do is to put them in place during the 60 minutes.

The 60 minutes is more than sufficient if you take into account the sheer number of workers and the fact that all the preparation work is done outside the 60 minute period.

Porcupine.

I don't know if you've noticed but all the woodwork is already covered with masking tape so that paint is kept on the walls and they don't have to be careful when painting, so it is blatantly obvious that all the prep is done long before the decorators start work.

Light fittings don't take much time to install, if you know what you are doing. And given there is only three rooms being done then you are only taking about installing three fittings and any electrician would be ashamed if they couldn't achieve that. Again the channelling for the wall lights is done before the 60 minutes begins.

Similarly my blinds fitter put up eight blinds for me in the space of 25 minutes and that included fitting a curved rail to a bay window.

The walls are not 'tacky'. Most paintwork is done in the first 30 minutes and they thenhave a break while the paint dries and they can move the furniture and decorative items into a dry room.

Experts work a hell of a lot faster than some amateur who needs to keep looking at the instructions.
  • Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The work they do is bloody shoddy. Why on earth don't they make it an 8 hour makeover. It's not as if they can do anything else with the rest of the day. They should take some time and do a proper job.
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It takes me 60 minutes just to think about doing something.
  • bitchboybluebitchboyblue Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It takes me 60 minutes to have sex.

*This is a lie :(
  • LaChatteGitaneLaChatteGitane Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course they can. They empty the house completely so that there is nothing in the way. Then they do all the prep work such as sanding and filling holes. They also pre-cut the wallpaper to size.

It's really just the actual sticking wallpaper on walls or painting that they have to do in the hour. As for the carpet fitting, if you have four blokes all trimming the carpet it doesn't take more than a couple of minutes to lay and trim it.

Similarly with the kitchen. Strip out all the old units, make up the new cabinets, and pre-cut the worktops and all you are really needing to do is to put them in place during the 60 minutes.

The 60 minutes is more than sufficient if you take into account the sheer number of workers and the fact that all the preparation work is done outside the 60 minute period.

Porcupine.

I don't know if you've noticed but all the woodwork is already covered with masking tape so that paint is kept on the walls and they don't have to be careful when painting, so it is blatantly obvious that all the prep is done long before the decorators start work.

Light fittings don't take much time to install, if you know what you are doing. And given there is only three rooms being done then you are only taking about installing three fittings and any electrician would be ashamed if they couldn't achieve that. Again the channelling for the wall lights is done before the 60 minutes begins.

Similarly my blinds fitter put up eight blinds for me in the space of 25 minutes and that included fitting a curved rail to a bay window.

The walls are not 'tacky'. Most paintwork is done in the first 30 minutes and they thenhave a break while the paint dries and they can move the furniture and decorative items into a dry room.

Experts work a hell of a lot faster than some amateur who needs to keep looking at the instructions.

It is obvious, when watching the program that this is the way they work. The clearing and prep is all done before the makeover and is not included in the 60 minutes.

They don't do the whole house either, 3 rooms or 4 max.
    I do agree that some of the finishing might not be that great, but it certainly beats what was there before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The work they do is bloody shoddy. Why on earth don't they make it an 8 hour makeover. It's not as if they can do anything else with the rest of the day. They should take some time and do a proper job.

How can you possibly know that?

It is an 8 hour makeover. We just see 60 minutes of it.

Surely to God with an election looming there are far more important topics than whether 60 minute makeover is actually done in 60 minutes?
  • BigfeetBigfeet Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »

Agreed - I can't watch these shows any more as I find myself getting vexed at what they're doing :o, painting/papering over old wallpaper, not painting the woodwork, etc etc :( .
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,527
    Forum Member

No they can't! When you add in the prep time, which you must because it's an integral part of any home improvements, it takes far more than an hour. That's the O/P's point, and she's right.
  • BizBiz Posts: 14,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, I just suspend disbelief and only watch the first and last quarters. I do think the standard has gone down and obviously there has been some cost cutting. They used to do four rooms and now it's three.

I'm horrified by the way they now mix several patterns together, put patterns on the chimney breast instead of in the alcoves, sometimes disappear the television etc. etc. etc. In today's show, I thought that shallow recess in the bedroom was crying out to be filled with a mirror.

My family know that I'd murder anyone who arranged a makeover for my home.
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems possible to me, except the quality of finish will hurried and slapdash to say the least.

There are a few tradesmen on it but the rest look like students whose work ethic and attention to detail is as good as their personal grooming.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe it either. If you do the job properly it takes preparation time, decorating time and cleaning up time.

I started emulsioning a bedroom today at 10.30 and just stopped at 4 pm. That's just the walls, not the ceiling, which was OK.

I have friends who say "it only takes me an hour to paint my room.":rolleyes: Then you see it ......... paint runs, skirting board & door frames spattered in paint and a very uneven finish. :D:D
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt I could makeover a house in a year, frankly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you remember they used to show the person they were surprising had gone out for the day. So in actual fact once that person had left the house they then when in and started measuring paper etc? Or did they have a family member/friend do this for them beforehand? I'd be surprised if anyone actually does think it is genuinely a 60 min makeover.
  • ChasingSundaysChasingSundays Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My brothers girlfriend actually helped out on 2 of the shows while she was at uni.
    They basically sent some notice round to uni students in the area..she got £100 for doing 2 makeovers one a day.
    She said by the time they finished there was paint everywhere all on the carpets and some of the decorating was unfinished but they didnt show the unfinished parts on tv obviously!
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look closely at the background in that show - the skirting boards and doors usually have the worst paint job you've ever seen, there's paint all over the carpets and often nails sticking out of things.

I wouldn't let them anywher near my house.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    Theres no way that they could walk in off the street and do it all in 60 minutes with NO prep work whatsoever - they have obviously cased the joint while a relative distracts the owner for a while then they go away and prepare everything and look at their measurements and THEN once its all ready they go back in.

It should be renamed 60 Minute Makeover (With 2 Weeks Prep Time Prior To Filming)

:rolleyes:
  • ButterflygirlButterflygirl Posts: 779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Surely to God with an election looming there are far more important topics than whether 60 minute makeover is actually done in 60 minutes?

Really? So we can't talk about anything else? Gonna be a bit boring for the next month ;)
  • LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No way could you - something fishy about that show:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can you possibly know that?

It is an 8 hour makeover. We just see 60 minutes of it.

Oh so our topic of conversation should only revolve around politics, I'm sorry but I vote on the day and don't wish to discuss it continually until that day arrives sorry if that offends you..maybe you should refrain from reading threads that are so much more inferior to your own thought processes and stick to the politics forum.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    icelady wrote: »
    Oh so our topic of conversation should only revolve around politics, I'm sorry but I vote on the day and don't wish to discuss it continually until that day arrives sorry if that offends you..maybe you should refrain from reading threads that are so much more inferior to your own thought processes and stick to the politics forum.

Maybe this subject should be in the TV forums (where it belongs) rather than in General Discussion? Which was my point.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    I believe you can if it is done very shoddily.
    AND if there has to be an awful lot of prep work beforehand, whereby every room is planned, everything is bought and been put together. So just a case of moving things into rooms and painting/wall papering walls.

I remember the good ole days of 60 minute makeover, when they often didn't finish and then just left it like that..:eek: Obviously now they plan it a bit better/ lie about doing it in 60 minutes.