Options

ITV ratings crisis. What is going wrong?

Comments

• Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,232
    Forum Member
    Main reason for DOI losing viewers - it wasn't snowing last night (all over the UK).
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Main reason for DOI losing viewers - it wasn't snowing last night (all over the UK).

Was it snowing this time last year?
  • Options
    NewcastleNewcastle Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Mr selfridge successfully stayed within 0.5million of the first episode rating.
    How does this fit with your transformation strategy that you created for ITV? Please update us on this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Was it snowing this time last year?

No. It hasn't REALLY snowed since December 2010, and that's when X Factor reached it's all time highs.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Newcastle wrote: »
    How does this fit with your transformation strategy that you created for ITV? Please update us on this.
    Itv failed to complete their 6 stage intial transformation strategy of:
    SamuelW wrote:
    1. Splash launches well
    2. Dancing on Ice revamp is well received by viewers
    3. Mr Selfridge launches good and gets good reviews
    4. Great night out doesnt start terribly
    5. Splash second episode stays above 5m
    6. Mr Selfridge second episode stays within 0.5m of the launch
    No. 2 which is about Dancing on Ice, was not wel received by viewers after losing almost a million in a week. Also No. 4 was a failure after Great night outs terrible ratings. So overall, its not been a good start to the year for Itv1. They got beaten every night from Monday-Saturday at 9oclock, Dancing on ice is rating worse than last year and of the 3 new shows they launched only Mr selfridge is showing promise and critical acclaim.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another Golden Globe for ITV last night for the UK's most popular ever tv series (on a global basis).
  • Options
    SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No. 2 which is about Dancing on Ice, was not wel received by viewers after losing almost a million in a week. Also No. 4 was a failure after Great night outs terrible ratings. So overall, its not been a good start to the year for Itv1. They got beaten every night from Monday-Saturday at 9oclock, Dancing on ice is rating worse than last year and of the 3 new shows they launched only Mr selfridge is showing promise and critical acclaim.

Oh for goodness sake :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Dancing on Ice is still beating everything on the night. Splash is getting 5m a night a beating everything on the night. Mr Selfridge is getting good ratings and beating everything. Midsomer Murders has had 2 episodes rating over 5m and Coronation Street and Emmerdale have been getting 7-9m and Lewis also launched very well.

So i think its been a very good start
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And the skate-off last night was just about up on the year before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't mention the Chase or Tipping point that are both also beating shows on other channels
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't mention the Chase or Tipping point that are both also beating shows on other channels

Tipping Point is also practically (I presume) stealing viewers from Deal or No Deal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Another Golden Globe for ITV last night for the UK's most popular ever tv series (on a global basis).
    Maggie Smith could fart and raise her eyebrows, and would still win a golden globe.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Maggie Smith could fart and raise her eyebrows, and would still win a golden globe.

You really are pathetic.

Think it's time we stopped feeding the troll guys.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Score wrote: »
    You really are pathetic.

Think it's time we stopped feeding the troll guys.
    Oh come on, the Maggie Smith comment was only a joke :D. George S was exaggerating that Downton abbey is the most popular uk series ever globally so I just exaggerated about Maggie winning golden globes no matter what she does.

As for the start Itv1 has made to the year, theyve lost to BBC One at 9oclock nine out of eleven times. Only Mr selfridge has done better which I have given credit for as showing promise and having a successful 2nd episode. The rest apart from Lewis has either rating okay, below par or critically mauled. If it had been a good start to 2013, Itv wouldve beaten BBC more times than it has.

I dont know how anyone can disagree with my assessment that Dancing on Ice, which is supposed to be Itvs big show right now apart from Corrie, did bad yesterday. I thought last week people liekd the revamp but the ratings this week were down almost a million, the viewers have spoken. And how can anyone say Great Night outs ratings are anything but a disappointment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh come on, the Maggie Smith comment was only a joke :D. George S was exaggerating that Downton abbey is the most popular uk series ever globally so I just exaggerated about Maggie winning golden globes no matter what she does.

As for the start Itv1 has made to the year, theyve lost to BBC One at 9oclock nine out of eleven times. Only Mr selfridge has done better which I have given credit for as showing promise and having a successful 2nd episode. The rest apart from Lewis has either rating okay, below par or critically mauled. If it had been a good start to 2013, Itv wouldve beaten BBC more times than it has.

Who Cares if a Show has been Critically mauled. If your Talking about Splach then its still beating everything else on the night so you can't call it a crisis. Great Night Out launched to low ratings but was up against a very popular BBC 1 Drama, Celebrity Big Brother and a Channel 4 Documentry. In Primetime Shares if i'm Correct BBC has one 7 and ITV has one 6 so it seems very even between the 2 main channels.
  • Options
    marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And three Golden Globes for Channel 4's most popular US import 'Homeland'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Who Cares if a Show has been Critically mauled. If your Talking about Splach then its still beating everything else on the night so you can't call it a crisis. Great Night Out launched to low ratings but was up against a very popular BBC 1 Drama, Celebrity Big Brother and a Channel 4 Documentry. In Primetime Shares if i'm Correct BBC has one 7 and ITV has one 6 so it seems very even between the 2 main channels.
    7-6 makes a better reading for Itv. This shows that the soaps are still rating well. The problems mainly currently lie at 9oclock and Dancing on ice.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Losing to BBC1 at 9pm does not equal a ratings crisis, you are moving to goalposts as you go along.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Losing to BBC1 at 9pm does not equal a ratings crisis, you are moving to goalposts as you go along.
    If you search through my posts I havent mentioned the word 'crisis' in quite a while now. I appreciate that Itvs ratings arent as bad now as they were in September when this thread first started. But theyre still not as good as what they could/should be and are being beaten by bbc 1 far too often in the main 9oclock time/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    George S was exaggerating that Downton abbey is the most popular uk series ever globally

Its no exaggeration. Look it up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Its no exaggeration. Look it up.
    What about doctor who and Top gear? Arent they more popular than downton abbey overall around the world. Top gear has been dubbed in many languages and is something which every country in the world can relate to due to cars, where as aristocracy is not something theyre so hot on in less developed countries and other cultures.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rest apart from Lewis has either rating okay, below par or critically mauled.

This "critically mauled" is your get out clause for anything that performs well. Who are these critics and why do they matter so much? Do people in the real world give a monkeys what The Times or The Guardian tv reviewer says?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about doctor who and Top gear? Arent they more popular than downton abbey overall around the world. Top gear has been dubbed in many languages and is something which every country in the world can relate to due to cars, where as aristocracy is not something theyre so hot on in less developed countries and other cultures.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/06/arts/television/downton-abbey-reaches-around-the-world.html?_r=0
    “Downton Abbey” was the most-watched drama in Denmark, the No. 1 scripted series in the Netherlands and at or near the top of its time slot in countries like Singapore and Brazil last year, according to figures provided by NBC Universal International. It has also been one of the most watched imports in Australia, Norway, Belgium, Israel and Iceland, according to Amandine Cassi, head of international television research at Eurodata TV Worldwide, an audience-research company based in Paris. The show’s success is on a scale almost never reached by British or European series, she added.

NBC Universal estimates that more than 120 million viewers worldwide have watched “Downton Abbey” at some point, based on ratings data from its international client broadcasters. That number should grow significantly when CCTV in China begins offering a version dubbed in Mandarin this year, although at least some of the country’s viewers are already well versed in the world of “Downton.”
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thats a lot of viewers for Downton abbey. But 350million watch Top Gear in 170 different territories overall, according to many sources including the NYTimes, Telegraph, Guardian.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats a lot of viewers for Downton abbey. But 350million watch Top Gear in 170 different territories overall, according to many sources including the NYTimes, Telegraph, Guardian.

Unaudited numbers purely based on BBC Worlds theoretical reach based on the number of cable operators carrying the station
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Splash launches well - YES
    2. Dancing on Ice revamp is well received by viewers -
    I haven't heard any comments that it hasn't been received, so maybe half a point
    3. Mr Selfridge launches good and gets good reviews - YES
    4. Great night out doesnt start terribly - YES, started in line with what a Friday night comedy would do
    5. Splash second episode stays above 5m - YES
    6. Mr Selfridge second episode stays within 0.5m of the launch - YES

So 5 or 5 1/2 out of 6 there.

Therefore Sam must agree that ITV is doing well, oh no, he's now changed the goal posts to who wins 9pm most often. :D