Options

Does It Get Better Then The National?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi :)

I'm a DS newbie so sorry if there is already a thread on this, but I was just wondering if anyone else is a fan? I love them, but very few people have heard of them :o

Thank You. :):):)

Comments

• Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Not massively familiar with them but was watching a film the other week (can't remember which one embarrassingly) and the closing credits had an amazing song on it it so shazzamed it and it came up as The National/Mark Isham. He's an old favourite of mine from Van Morrison's backing band but he's not in the band, is he? He must be pretty old now.

Edit: Found it - it was The Warrior and the song was About Today. Flipping beautiful. Gonna explore them some more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t6aNP4nsF4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Not massively familiar with them but was watching a film the other week (can't remember which one embarrassingly) and the closing credits had an amazing song on it it so shazzamed it and it came up as The National/Mark Isham. He's an old favourite of mine from Van Morrison's backing band but he's not in the band, is he? He must be pretty old now.

Edit: Found it - it was The Warrior and the song was About Today. Flipping beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t6aNP4nsF4

Thanks for replying! :D mark isham is not a regular member no.

About today is a beautiful song. Matt Berninger is an amazing lyricist. I have never seen the warrior, I really should as I fancy Tom Hardy :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Never Nude wrote: »
    Thanks for replying! :D mark isham is not a regular member no.

About today is a beautiful song. Matt Berninger is an amazing lyricist. I have never seen the warrior, I really should as I fancy Tom Hardy :o

'Tis a great watch - cheesy but great :D And worth watching just to witness an incredible performance from Nick Nolte (who, weirdly, was probably the Tom Hardy of his day!).

Ps the singer's voice gives me Scott Walker vibes. No bad thing!! Will investigate further.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Tis a great watch - cheesy but great :D And worth watching just to witness an incredible performance from Nick Nolte (who, weirdly, was probably the Tom Hardy of his day!).

Ps the singer's voice gives me Scott Walker vibes. No bad thing!! Will investigate further.

Just seen the trailer, I do have a soft spot for homoerotic cheese so I will watch :D:cool:

I suggest starting with High Violet, then boxer and alligator, there the their most accessible stuff, I would also highly recommend the cherry tree ep.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, I note that EP contains this very song so will start with that. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    Apollo CreedApollo Creed Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are ****ing amazing. It's that simple really
  • Options
    Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my absolute favourite bands. I'm loving this song at the moment http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMrMFA2fMYs ..talk about intense. Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers is one of my all-time favourite albums.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I note that EP contains this very song so will start with that. Thanks for the info.

You're welcome :)

They are also amazing live. Saw them in Brixton a few years back, ended their set with an acoustic version of Vanderlyle crybaby geeks, didn't use any microphone, just them and the crowd singing along, gave me chills. Few days later saw my other favourite band Arcade Fire, it was a great week :D:D
  • Options
    CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    Great band, have been a fan since they released Alligator about 6-7 years ago and they're one of the most consistently brilliant bands out there. Have also managed to see them live quite a few times over the years, including when they headlined at the Latitude festival a few years ago - Matt Berninger did a walkabout in the crowd during the encore and I managed to get close enough to him to slap him on the back as he went past. :D

Absolutely love About Today, they always used to finish their live sets by playing that song (although I dont think they do anymore), but there is a live recording of it on The Virginia EP which is imo even better than the studio version.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coen wrote: »
    Great band, have been a fan since they released Alligator about 6-7 years ago and they're one of the most consistently brilliant bands out there. Have also managed to see them live quite a few times over the years, including when they headlined at the Latitude festival a few years ago - Matt Berninger did a walkabout in the crowd during the encore and I managed to get close enough to him to slap him on the back as he went past. :D

Absolutely love About Today, they always used to finish their live sets by playing that song (although I dont think they do anymore), but there is a live recording of it on The Virginia EP which is imo even better than the studio version.

When I saw them he did a walkabout during Mr November, I managed to grab a shoulder :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my absolute favourite bands. I'm loving this song at the moment http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMrMFA2fMYs ..talk about intense. Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers is one of my all-time favourite albums.

Love that song :D
  • Options
    Tel69Tel69 Posts: 27,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got High Violet which is a beautiful album, I really ought to get their back catalogue. Bloodbuzz Ohio is my favourite track from them.