Options

Snow Patrol - Run - The superior version...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
Forum Member
...don't you think?

I have it on - loud - now. It's so good. Loads of emotion but not in the warbly "wooooaaaah" sense.

:cool:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love both versions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
  • Options
    kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, it's the genuine, meaningful version. Much rather that than the overblown, depressing, warbling, faux-emotional one by Simon's Golden Girl.

As much as Cowell tells us otherwise - meaning and emotion in a song is not all about how high you can sing and how over-dramatic you perform it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not usually one who prefers a cover version over the original, but Leona's version of this beautiful song is one of the rare cases where it occurs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't even think the songs that good and I only preffer snow patrol's version because I listened to it first. The cover is good though, does the song justice even if their is a little sence of over production with it.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both of them have elements that I like. I like the instrumental of Leona's version better than the original arrangement. I also like the very first verse of Leona's version. The delivery is very nice. Overall I like Snow Patrol's version more because I think it captures the emotion/ sentiment of the lyrics better for me. Also I prefer the chorus of snow patrols song more.
  • Options
    MikePJBMikePJB Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    I find this version boring. Leona's version is far better too me. Just because it's Snow Patrol song doesn't automatically make me think there version is better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MikePJB wrote: »
    I find this version boring. Leona's version is far better too me. Just because it's Snow Patrol song doesn't automatically make me think there version is better.

Even if Snow Patrol covered it - which they never - theirs would still be the better one :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Even if Snow Patrol covered it - which they never - theirs would still be the better one :cool:

If it was that way round it would make their version sound even worse :cool:.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It couldn't be the other way around because Cowell and Co couldn't write such a song :)
  • Options
    wildmovieguywildmovieguy Posts: 8,342
    Forum Member
    Snow Patrol fan on the loose!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Snow Patrol fan on the loose!

I'm not really a fanatic. I own two of their albums, that's it. I just give credit where credit's due :cool:
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Snow Patrol version is infinitely superior in just about every way. A lot more rocking and raw than that bloody choir backing in Leona's version.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,129
    Forum Member
    Both versions are great, but Leona's is far superior in my opinion, one of the only cover versions that is better than it's original.
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's basically raw emotion and meaning vs "hey look, I can sing".

Snow Patrol every time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are people still talking about this two years on? Eesh, get over it.

Anyway, I think Leona's version is better.

Gary Lightbody sounds bored/constipated and whilst one could argue Leona overdoes it towards the end of her version (which I disagree with) she still shows more emotion in the first 2/3 anyway imo.

Plus, Gary likes it :D

Now, if you were talking about her version of Stop Crying Your Heart Out...
  • Options
    Arcane2Arcane2 Posts: 13,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The original by a long shot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    franster wrote: »

With all the royalties he'll be getting after one of the X Factor crowd covered one his songs, course he'll like it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With all the royalties he'll be getting after one of the X Factor crowd covered one his songs, course he'll like it.
    As soon as I wrote 'Gary likes it' I knew somebody was going to say this. You genius, you ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As soon as I wrote 'Gary likes it' I knew somebody was going to say this. You genius, you ;)

I aim to please :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Snow Patrol version is just a lot better, and I don't especially like them but Leona's version of Run just made it so boring and less emotional than SP's version.

Likewise Oasis' version of Stop Crying Your Heart Out is better than Leona's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FleetSeb wrote: »

Likewise Oasis' version of Stop Crying Your Heart Out is better than Leona's.

Now, this I agree with.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Gary Lightbody sounds bored/constipated and whilst one could argue Leona overdoes it towards the end of her version (which I disagree with) she still shows more emotion in the first 2/3 anyway imo.

There was nothing for me to "get over". I wouldn't care if Cradle Of Filth covered it... I just had the original version on earlier - the first time in ages - and realised how great it was in comparison.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yeah I agree, Gary sounds bored. I don't feel no emotion from it. Leona's version has the haunting, dark feel to it an I can feel the emotion in her voice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MikePJB wrote: »
    Yeah I agree, Gary sounds bored. I don't feel no emotion from it. Leona's version has the haunting, dark feel to it an I can feel the emotion in her voice.

But these, in Leona's version, are very contrived, just like Alex's version of Hallelujah. Leona undoubtedly has a good voice but her version is too overproduced with choirs and twinkles and fairies and stuff... (ok, perhaps some of that was a slight exaggeration)