Options

Mental illness of religion causes man to be lynched by 100 people(India)

Comments

• Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is coming across as pretty muddled and biased.

A belief can be dangerous - it comes down to how individuals or groups act.

A belief - and I include religion - can be very positive and very beneficial.

Dismissing people who are religious as mad is just silly and incorrect. Was your parent mad, insane, mentally ill, a loony??

This is more to do with your misconception from society of mental illness is. Most people who are mentally ill are not 'insane' or a 'loony'.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Otherwise known as the Atheist Mantra ..

And it has to be done several times a day while facing in the direction of a computer screen. Reminds me of something...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread has made me think. People are motivated by incorrect beliefs all the time.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes I agree with that campaign. But no its not at parallel odds, as already proven. :)
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is more to do with your misconception from society of mental illness is. Most people who are mentally ill are not 'insane' or a 'loony'.

No it's not - I simply asked you if your parent was mad, insane, mentally ill, a loony?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes I agree with that campaign. But no its not at parallel odds, as already proven. :)

Proven by you?

Where?
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone suggest a good term to describe irrational violent oppressive behaviour which arises because someone told you something once?
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I'm more concerned to read about a man being killed by a lynch mob due to religion than whether a certain word should be used or not, I also have sympathy for the guy and any relatives he may have.

It's a shame those being 'offended' here are showing none of either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No it's not - I simply asked you if your parent was mad, insane, mentally ill, a loony?
    You are looking for an argument but the reply I gave you explained the flaw in your thinking. Read Annette's link also please.
    Proven by you?

Where?
    What CBT is.
    I have very good knowledge on this field, so I'm not talking rubbish. I got a higher understanding of mental illness than joe_public. If I was someone that didn't,you would have a good argument.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    And it has to be done several times a day while facing in the direction of a computer screen. Reminds me of something...

You might be on to something there :D
  • Options
    William BlighWilliam Bligh Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    Why are Hindus so violent if anyone disagrees with them? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are looking for an argument but the reply I gave you explained the flaw in your thinking. Read Annette's link also please.

I'm not looking for an argument, what I'm asking is if
    What CBT is.
    I have very good knowledge on this field, so I'm not talking rubbish. I got a higher understanding of mental illness than joe_public. If I was someone that didn't,you would have a good argument.

I really don't know what CBT has to do with this.

You did say that 'CBT is akin to this' but I can't see anything that says what 'this' is. CBT is akin to what?

You completely lost me with:

'yes I agree with that campaign. But no its not at parallel odds, as already proven'

and when I asked about 'proven' your response was 'what CBT is'.

It's good to hear that you got a higher understanding of mental illness but by clearly implying that having a religious belief is a mental illness you also show you lack understanding of the stigma around mental health.

As I've said, you seem to be very muddled.

As for the Time to Change campaign, I'm very aware of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm more concerned to read about a man being killed by a lynch mob due to religion than whether a certain word should be used or not, I also have sympathy for the guy and any relatives he may have.

It's a shame those being 'offended' here are showing none of either.

For a change I agree with (most of) this.

It's horrific what happened in India and I hope the people involved are brought to justice and punished.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Using "mental illness" in this way is pretty disgusting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not looking for an argument, what I'm asking is if

I really don't know what CBT has to do with this.

You did say that 'CBT is akin to this' but I can't see anything that says what 'this' is. CBT is akin to what?

You completely lost me with:

'yes I agree with that campaign. But no its not at parallel odds, as already proven'

and when I asked about 'proven' your response was 'what CBT is'.

It's good to hear that you got a higher understanding of mental illness but by clearly implying that having a religious belief is a mental illness you also show you lack understanding of the stigma around mental health.

As I've said, you seem to be very muddled.

As for the Time to Change campaign, I'm very aware of it.

CBT as you should know is Cognitive behavioural therapy. It's addressing incorrect thoughts which lead to various behaviours. For instance in this situation, this mob had a thought-> it resulted in their behaviour. So it is very much completely related to the mental health spectrum. To say otherwise is to have a rather fragmented understanding of this.

And you are perpetuating the stigma of mental illness by using these terms:
    mad, insane, mentally ill, a loony?
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    India is a strange place.
  • Options
    SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    The NHS describes the symptoms of schizophrenia as follows:
    Schizophrenia is a long-term mental health condition that causes a range of different psychological symptoms, including:
    •hallucinations – hearing or seeing things that do not exist
    •delusions – unusual beliefs not based on reality that often contradict the evidence
    •muddled thoughts based on hallucinations or delusions
    •changes in behaviour

Doctors often describe schizophrenia as a psychotic illness. This means sometimes a person may not be able to distinguish their own thoughts and ideas from reality.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Schizophrenia/Pages/Introduction.aspx

To be fair to the OP there are quite a few parallels there with the psychological symptoms typically exhibited by religious believers.

The fact that religious beliefs tend to be shared by millions of others shouldn't make them any less delusional IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CBT as you should know is Cognitive behavioural therapy. It's addressing incorrect thoughts which lead to various behaviours. For instance in this situation, this mob had a thought-> it resulted in their behaviour. So it is very much completely related to the mental health spectrum. To say otherwise is to have a rather fragmented understanding of this.

And you are perpetuating the stigma of mental illness by using these terms:

So - these murderers have a belief that dictated their actions.

Their belief led to their behaviour.

CBT is used as a treatment for some mental health problems by changing beliefs - although 'perception' is more accurate - to change behaviours.

Now put these two very different and fundamentally unrelated things together means that being religious is being mentally I'll. Is that what you're saying?

You still haven't answered the question about your parent. I understand you may not want to and that's fine but perhaps you could just say that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we will go back:
    speaking as someone else who has bipolar i`m not and it`s a dreadful comparison.

Person cites mental illness and religion to be completely different things because they have bipolar.
    I come along- and say hang on, mental illness extends beyond bipolar. It's actually a very common thing. Depression, anxiety affects 1/10 in the population, probably a lot more than that,depending on the source of statistics used. And a big treatment for mental illness is CBT. CBT can be equally applied to religion.
    When a person is acting in behaviours that are distinct from reality, this form of treatment is used.

For instance, an application of common CBT:
    'There's a massive Storm outside'-> Thoughts/Beliefs->God is angry with me-> behaviour they will try cut down on their sins.

And yes I'm comfortable saying that when a parent of mine believed that blood transfusions were wrong, and that 62,000 people on Earth would be saved and noone else they were mentally ill.

And it would be good if you would take responsibility for your use of the term looney,
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    we will go back:

Person cites mental illness and religion to be completely different things because they have bipolar.
    I come along- and say hang on, mental illness extends beyond bipolar. It's actually a very common thing. Depression, anxiety affects 1/10 in the population, probably a lot more than that,depending on the source of statistics used. And a big treatment for mental illness is CBT. CBT can be equally applied to religion.
    When a person is acting in behaviours that are distinct from reality, this form of treatment is used.

For instance, an application of common CBT:
    'There's a massive Storm outside'-> Thoughts/Beliefs->God is angry with me-> behaviour they will try cut down on their sins.

And yes I'm comfortable saying that when a parent of mine believed that blood transfusions were wrong, and that 62,000 people on Earth would be saved and noone else they were mentally ill.

And it would be good if you would take responsibility for your use of the term looney,

it would be even better if you show me where i have used it as it`s not a word i ever actually say.

the quote you selected was a direct response to the post i quoted, just so you`re absolutely clear on that.
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If we're looking at this horrible event from a psychological point of view, we are more talking mass hysteria here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it would be even better if you show me where i have used it as it`s not a word i ever actually say.

the quote you selected was a direct response to the post i quoted, just so you`re absolutely clear on that.

Sorry Scottie used the term.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Otherwise known as the Atheist Mantra ..

Research suggests otherwise....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2255894/Spiritual-people-likely-mentally-ill-think-life-meaning.html
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What they did was wrong, full stop.
    To suggest that there may have been some mitigating circumstance such as lack of control over their actions is to remove some of the culpability.