The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bushmills wrote: »
    Love the way you (and others) always refer to TV producers by their surnames only.

Reminds me of Harry and Paul's "Self Righteous Brothers".

I do it because it's quicker to write! :D
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    I had not realised The Casual Vacancy had such a terrific cast - Keely Hawes/Michael Gambon/Julia McKenzie/Rory Kinnear.

Pity the book is an unmitigated piece of garbage, I hope the adapter has put something of their own in to liven up what is in effect dull garbage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    I do it because it's quicker to write! :D

Same here 😃
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    I had not realised The Casual Vacancy had such a terrific cast - Keely Hawes/Michael Gambon/Julia McKenzie/Rory Kinnear.
    Pity the book is an unmitigated piece of garbage, I hope the adapter has put something of their own in to liven up what is in effect dull garbage.

The Casual Vacancy is being adapted by Sarah Phelps who did a good job with Great Expectations.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if The Cuckoo's Calling will adapted for film or TV series? It has the JK Rowling connection as it's written by her under the pen name of Robert Galbraith. I would imagine ITV, The BBC or Warner Bros would be interested.
  • AudioRebelAudioRebel Posts: 32,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Casual Vacancy is being adapted by Sarah Phelps who did a good job with Great Expectations.

Would that be the same Sarah Phelps who wrote occasional episodes for EE & Casualty ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would that be the same Sarah Phelps who wrote occasional episodes for EE & Casualty ?

The very same along with The Crimson Field.
  • AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    I think they'd need a name to replace Sugar, I think the most obvious is Sir Richard Branson but I don't know if he'd want to risk it. The Apprentice got lucky with Trump in the US and Sugar over here and that's not easy to replicate.
    I doubt Branson would be interested or indeed on the shortlist for The Apprentice. He tried to launch his own rival show (The Rebel Billionaire) that bombed in the US. Replacing Alan Sugar would be a remarkably difficult job though and I certainly wouldn't envy the BBC if they have to go down that road. Personally I think I'd be tempted to let the show come to an end when Sugar decides to call it a day.
    Jonwo wrote: »
    I wonder if The Cuckoo's Calling will adapted for film or TV series? It has the JK Rowling connection as it's written by her under the pen name of Robert Galbraith. I would imagine ITV, The BBC or Warner Bros would be interested.
    The major film studios have spent the past year (at least) trying to convince Rowling to option the series. She has so far resisted. Not needing the money gives you a remarkable freedom to wait for the exact offer you want I suppose. I would however imagine they'll be film adaptations rather than television but we'll see what happens.
  • MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    On This Morning today Miranda Hart appeared to be wavering over whether the two Christmas episodes really will be the final ones.

She said that she has written the last as a proper finale but lots of people seem to be saying they want it to go on and after filming she wondered herself what she had done.

So do not bet against it coming back in future.

As for Generation Game she said that the leak was premature as they have not decided yet what to do and whether the show could work in this day and age. So they are really looking at adapting a similar type of show with some elements that can be effectively updated rather than just remake Generation Game.

But that nobody had committed to anything yet.

She also apologised for being on everything this Christmas!

So we could perhaps see Miranda falling over on the BBC One Christmas Ident, sliding under, falling over a snowball, announcing, a little like the year David Tennant was everywhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well her script will be far superior to the actual book then, never understood how Rowling got away with plagiarising everything from Disneys 'Sorcerers Apprentice' to 'Just William' in order to create unmitigated bland rubbish such as the Potter bore fest.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV today launches a big advertising campaign to promote its daytime programming - The Sun
  • Joe40Joe40 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    It was shockingly bad. It didn't deserve more than being 'used up' and a slot against DA did just that.

Have to agree
  • tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe40 wrote: »

And people were accusing her of being coached on how to do well on the show.
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is she the titty one?

Bad news for the Daily Star then.... (and ITV)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re Steve Williams, his epic and interesting posts are one of the things I missed most in my hiatus from the thread.

Please stay, and continue posting whatever and however you darn well like!
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do the contestants have to stay for a minimum amount of time to get their money ? If not someone could presumably sign up, stay for one night then leave saying they're ill
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well her script will be far superior to the actual book then, never understood how Rowling got away with plagiarising everything from Disneys 'Sorcerers Apprentice' to 'Just William' in order to create unmitigated bland rubbish such as the Potter bore fest.

The Casual Vacancy looks great. If it's ready it would be good to see this air/start at Christmas
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    This might pull in the viewers tonight and tomorrow.

IAC should have made her sign a waiver when entering the jungle.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,618
    Forum Member
    I was told that they wanted a rather well known unnamed producer to come in short term after the horror of Kirkwood until DTC was ready to take over but unnamed producer allegedly refused citing he wanted the EP position not temp EP, the powers that be panicked and hastily installed Newman, I knew Newman was going before she was informed in fact Its to fair to say quite a few at the BBC knew as well.

I was at Elstree the day of the announcement of Newmans impending departure, while I did not see her I did bump into a rather ecstatic EE cast member.

But you have to concede anyone could write anything about a producer. I could say I met Cohen for coffee yesterday. There no reason to believe you have any facts in that story or if it really happened, its such a vague story. And none of it is factual. "Unnamed" "allegedly"" the powers that be" "its fair to say" ..there is im sorry to say only speculation, rumour in that post. Newman wasnt just a secretary for a kick off she rose through the ranks and was at "EastEnders" for 20 years in various senior roles as well as having to take the helm in its damaged period. She has left now and the programme has actually lost viewers since she departed during some of the year on year ratings results, so perhaps it is a much harder job than it appears.
  • centauri72centauri72 Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There might be two versions, 45 minutes and 60 minutes. War & Peace is being shot this way for BBC1.

The first episode of Season Three of Ripper Street is 67 minutes long on Amazon, and I imagine will be trimmed to 58 or 59 minutes when it comes to BBC1 next year. So this idea of filming multiple lengths of TV shows is clearly catching on!
  • centauri72centauri72 Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nick202 wrote: »
    I can remember seeing the original 1980s ITV series on ITV3 a few years ago. It was the kind of lavish drama typical of ITV at that time, but mainstream tastes have changed and I can't see it sustaining an audience for three episodes. The BBC would be better off launching one of their new Agatha Christie adaptations, or The Casual Vacancy, instead.

For the record, the 1980s version of Mapp & Lucia was made by ITV (Granada at the time) but was shown by Channel 4. As you say, it does the rounds on ITV3 and ITVEncore from time to time. Not bad but looks very dated now (interiors filmed in studio etc).
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well apparently she did this for more TV exposure to she could get her own show. Not likely now. Silly girl, IAC is in its 14th series for pete sake she should know what she has signed up for.

Quick ITV draft another celeb in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    But you have to concede anyone could write anything about a producer. I could say I met Cohen for coffee yesterday. There no reason to believe you have any facts in that story or if it really happened, its such a vague story. And none of it is factual. "Unnamed" "allegedly"" the powers that be" "its fair to say" ..there is im sorry to say only speculation, rumour in that post. Newman wasnt just a secretary for a kick off she rose through the ranks and was at "EastEnders" for 20 years in various senior roles as well as having to take the helm in its damaged period. She has left now and the programme has actually lost viewers since she departed during some of the year on year ratings results, so perhaps it is a much harder job than it appears.

Check your PMs.
  • wallo mr slugwallo mr slug Posts: 9,734
    Forum Member
    Corrie are doing a live episode in September 2015 to mark 60 years of ITV being on air.
This discussion has been closed.