The Dumping Ground - CBBC

Comments

• RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    She isn't getting married, I just thought it would be a way to give her some kind of exit episode. And she must have been pretty close to 16 in the last series. She's not been in this one, and if she only appears at the end of the next one, she could easily 18.

Ah, fair enough. To be honest, I actually can't see her coming back next year but it's always possible if things don't work out with Melissa but I think they've really moved on from the character for good this time. We'll definitely be seeing more new faces in the new year, I would warmly welcome back old characters for such occasions but I think the focus Is now on the current cast and future characters.

I will do my own summary of Series 2 later this week.
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    The Hand on the tv episode was quite entertaining, though I enjoyed the G.I Johnny episode a lot more

The episode with Tee and Johnny's mother returning was really good.
    Gonna watch the last episode tomorrow
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-26840522

As it was reported to be demolished last year. The old set of Tracy Beaker Returns and The Dumping Ground (series 1) has now been knocked down. I still really miss it as they've been filming in that building for the past 4 years. Though I'm certain that I'll get used to the new set once we're more familiar with it.
    Forum Member
    The last episode was pretty good. Though trying to set Mike up with that council lady was kinda cringey lol.

Sad that they demolished the old building.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take one last look and say your goodbyes to Elm Tree House cos we will never see it again!:(

https://m.facebook.com/TDGUpdates/photos/a.519400758173543.1073741825.209226242524331/561646573948961/?type=1&source=46&refid=17

Now for my summary!

I have to say, I personally felt that this second series as a whole was rather hit and miss. I thought the first episodes brought a decent build up even though admittedly, it was pretty weak compared to last year's opener as well as previous openers from Tracy Beaker Returns. There was so much more going on in those past starters. However, I felt the build up quickly disappeared right after Faith was knocked down by the car and then from episode 3 and onwards, the trailers made them look interesting but really there was little to not much plot going and some of the endings felt really anti-climatic.

Fortunately, there were signs of improvement starting to show in parts of episode 5 but mostly starting from episode 6 with Tyler and his mum which was just heart-moving. Episode 7 and 8 provided some humour which was enjoyable, plus there was more character development for both Bailey and Floss. Episode 9 and 10 jumped to the serious situations which were a good watch to see the theme of racism being tackled as well as the thought of future ambitions. Episode 11 was regretfully another dud episode, the scenes with Rick and Carmen were unrealistic and very rushed. The penultimate was thankfully much better with Johnny and Tee facing their mum and the last episode was really heart-warming and gave a nice conclusion to both Liam and Frank.

My favourite episodes for this series were "I Have A Dream" and "Sticks And Stones" (8 and 9). I also thought "Hope" and "Face The Music" were good episodes. My least favourite episodes were "The Dumping Ground Experience", "Be My Girl" and "The Barbecue". To conclude this summary, I thought Series 1 was much better and so far it's still the best series of The Dumping Ground, mainly because the episodes felt more meaningful and were rather engaging. It was also consistently good too, I have to say there's not single episode that I dislike from Series 1. I will admit that Episode 3 and 6 were the weakest of the bunch but it still didn't stop me from enjoying them.

With that all being said, I look forward to seeing what series 3 offers next year. They start filming as usual this summer and auditions are being held for twins to appear in the series as well as a dog so this will be a good opportunity for new talent. We should also expect some departures next year, it's going to be very sad to see most of our favourites leave as we've watched them grow and develop as characters. I just hope every character is given a proper conclusion whether they exit next year or many years later from now. At least it's happening slowly. It's also been confirmed that the head writer, Elly Brewer is also departing from The Dumping Ground series. She wrote episodes for the first series of "The Story Of Tracy Beaker", all three series of "Tracy Beaker Returns" and both series of "The Dumping Ground". I have to say, she has done a cracking job on these episodes and it's a shame she's going as she has contributed a lot. I believe that Emma Reeves is going to take over as head writer.

What about you guys? What were your thoughts on this series and what are you hoping to see or expect for next year's series?
  • thehordeoftravthehordeoftrav Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    The Canadian imported drama 'The Next Step' is the most awful thing ever shown on CBBC. The whole idea of it makes you frustrated. A drama about a reality dance competition? wtf. What is the point of it? Why you would you create a programme about fake reality show? Really surprised to see that BBC bought the rights to show it from Canada. It's popular on the CBBC website!!! Lots of comments on the web pages for it! >:(

When you compare this to the second series of The Dumping Ground, TDG is billion times better and superior and worthy of being called a drama.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just noticed a bit of an error in episode 4. At the start of the episode, Danny (George Sampson) comes across and talks to Faith, Rick and Carmen. Then later on, the YP set up a plan to scam him. Frank and Faith went to knock on Danny's door asking for the engagement ring while Faith pretended to be on crutches.

How did he not recognise Faith beforehand? Seems to be a bit of a small error.
    The Canadian imported drama 'The Next Step' is the most awful thing ever shown on CBBC. The whole idea of it makes you frustrated. A drama about a reality dance competition? wtf. What is the point of it? Why you would you create a programme about fake reality show? Really surprised to see that BBC bought the rights to show it from Canada. It's popular on the CBBC website!!! Lots of comments on the web pages for it! >:(

When you compare this to the second series of The Dumping Ground, TDG is billion times better and superior and worthy of being called a drama.

I have to agree with this, the show appears to be fake and very annoying. The same goes with "Just Kidding" which is also from Canada I believe. I avoid watching them though. I have fond memories of many old programs on CBBC that I used to watch as a child, there was such a good and fun variety. (In past years, I tuned in mainly for Tracy Beaker and Sarah Jane). I believe The Dumping Ground is still the best current CBBC drama, despite the second series being weaker than the previous series. It still has the potential to grow and become even better, I'm hoping the quality improves for more strong storylines to be introduced and they could also start to push the boundaries a bit more.
  • thehordeoftravthehordeoftrav Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    RingoJ739K wrote: »
    I just noticed a bit of an error in episode 4. At the start of the episode, Danny (George Sampson) comes across and talks to Faith, Rick and Carmen. Then later on, the YP set up a plan to scam him. Frank and Faith went to knock on Danny's door asking for the engagement ring while Faith pretended to be on crutches.

How did he not recognise Faith beforehand? Seems to be a bit of a small error.

I have to agree with this, the show appears to be fake and very annoying. The same goes with "Just Kidding" which is also from Canada I believe. I avoid watching them though. I have fond memories of many old programs on CBBC that I used to watch as a child, there was such a good and fun variety. (In past years, I tuned in mainly for Tracy Beaker and Sarah Jane). I believe The Dumping Ground is still the best current CBBC drama, despite the second series being weaker than the previous series. It still has the potential to grow and become even better, I'm hoping the quality improves for more strong storylines to be introduced and they could also start to push the boundaries a bit more.

The only good good imported programmes were 'Lockie Leonard' and 'Wingin it" which I thought were brilliant. The Next Step -> I just can't see the reason why BBC would buy the rights for it? It is just so forced. It would've been better suited for the Disney Channel. Just Kidding is also full of faked, forced b*llsh*t. Whenever the kids say "Just Kiddin", It makes you want to throttle them!

CBBC has always been my favourite kids channel. CBBC has comissioned some of the best, entertaining, thought provoking dramas.

Excited for series 3!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bump!

Just to let you know, The new Dumping Ground Survival Files have currently been airing this week and will continue up to Friday. There are 5 episodes as usual.

On Monday, we had Bailey and Mo doing the video blog of the survival files, yesterday we had Carmen and Kazima doing the lowdown and today we had Tee and Harry uploading the files.

For the new series, we are expecting to see some new characters enter the show as well as some guest stars including Stuart Manning, Charlie Brooks and Neil Morrissey who some of you will be familiar with as they have worked on Hollyoaks, Eastenders and Waterloo Road. As usual, the new series will start in the new year in January and I look forward to seeing what's in store for the show this time.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember watching a few episodes of the series quite a few years ago. I thought it was quite good and I resonated with the programme because my Mum used to be a foster carer. I could empathise with the characterisation and the children's worries and hopes for their future. I thought it was also an insight into how children are resilient in their own way in how they get on with life.
    Forum Member
    When is the next series of TDG?
    I want an episode based on Elektras exit but probably not possible now.
    My fav episodes are the ones with Emse, Hope and the S.O.S one with Jodie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bbclassics wrote: »
    When is the next series of TDG?
    I want an episode based on Elektras exit but probably not possible now.
    My fav episodes are the ones with Emse, Hope and the S.O.S one with Jodie.

Series 3 of The Dumping Ground will be returning in the new year as usual. :) A date has still yet to be confirmed but it will return like it regularly does in January.

S.O.S, Hope and Esme are great episodes. S.O.S is one of my all time favourites though.

Series 1 is the still the best series for me as I felt the quality of episodes were consistently good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Updated information on this series. According to The Dumping Ground page...

Series 3 consists of 20 episodes at 30 minutes long and the series will be split into two halves. The first 10 episodes will be broadcasted on CBBC in the first half of 2015 from January onwards, and the second half will continue with another 10 episodes that will run from September onwards.

Most of the current cast will be returning along with some new faces. However, Faith and Rick will unfortunately not be returning to this series which is a shame but obviously it's a natural thing that happens on the show as characters come and go. I just wish they would be given onscreen conclusions, hopefully there will be mentions to where they moved on to. I would assume that Faith went to live with her brother and Rick possibly moving back with his dad.

Interestingly, Frank was recently in The Dumping Ground Survival Files and was actually answering questions that he was being asked by the other residents on the DG. Obviously he won't be returning to the main series since he finally moved on and went to live with Liam in the season finale of Series 2.

Ashdene Ridge video

Picture of The Dumping Ground Cast (2014-2015)

The Dumping Ground Cast for Series 3

This is likely to be the title Sequence for Series 3
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a sneak peek of the first episode for the new series of The Dumping Ground which airs in the new year.

"Party Games"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/clips/p02f3gqc

Looks like Charlie Brooks and Stuart Manning guest star in this episode.
  • CriticFanCriticFan Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About any homosexuality within the character, I think it's most likely because in one episode, Dede mentioned "every boy in our year likes her" owtte... and Kit replied "I don't" to which Dede replied "You're not ever boy..." could be a homosexual connotation.

And why wouldn't CBBC be intended for primary school children? For the whole of primary school, and even before, I've been watching it. When I was in secondary school from year 7 to year 10, I didn't even watch CBBC that much because they pulled out the best shows... Also, I stopped watching The Story of Tracy Beaker because they repeated it so many times...

I think it's wrong for you to say that shows like Sarah Jane or The Dumping Ground would have darker tones, this is correct but why would that be a reason for primary kids not to watch it? Jeopardy was kinda dark, it had kidnappings aliens etc. The Demon Headmaster had hypnotism, The Ghost Hunter had... well ghosts, kidnappings, tied up characters,,,

And those shows came out when I was a kid and I also watched them in Primary School (and The Demon Headmaster was about the time I was born).

Someone told me that CBBC used to be for a 5-14 year olds audience, but now that's gone down to 1-2 year olds. And he's right.

So I don't bother watching new shows unless it's presented really well (like Wolfblood).

By the way, I just wanted to say that I've never seen any mention of suicide in CBBC lately. That's what teens are going through, or even depression.

I've only seen a suicide attempt one on Grange Hill, when a young boy was going to drown in the school swimming pool after constant bullying. If they did something like this in current shows, I think young kids could be aware of circumstances like that.

Oh wow now that was a time to watch CBBC. I remember rushing back from London where my parents used to work on a Monday evening for The Demon Headmaster. The Ghost Hunter and Jeopardy creeped me out but they were shows you could get hooked to and love. I miss those days. Especially the old CBBC studio and the presenters which got turned into the TMI SHOW
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CriticFan wrote: »
    Oh wow now that was a time to watch CBBC. I remember rushing back from London where my parents used to work on a Monday evening for The Demon Headmaster. The Ghost Hunter and Jeopardy creeped me out but they were shows you could get hooked to and love. I miss those days. Especially the old CBBC studio and the presenters which got turned into the TMI SHOW

I agree with the BIB. I also watched The Demon Headmaster. I still have fond memories of the old shows in the early years such as The Queen's Nose, Raven, Big Kids, The Basil Brush Show, Best Of Friends and so many more programmes. As a kid, it was very enjoyable, gripping and even emotional. There was a lot of fun atmosphere in the old CBB studio and interactivity provided from both the presenters and the viewers. I do miss those days and I feel that atmosphere is lacking in today's CBBC.

I still go back to watch a few recent shows. I feel that The Dumping Ground and Wolfblood are the currently the best CBBC shows right now and I hope that someday future programs will be presented on CBBC with the same quality of these two shows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like The Dumping Ground has already been confirmed to have a 4th series in 2016 which is great news!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/cbbc-productions
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    RingoJ739K wrote: »
    Seems like The Dumping Ground has already been confirmed to have a 4th series in 2016 which is great news!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/cbbc-productions

That's a surprise. I was under the impression that the next series was to be the last.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    That's a surprise. I was under the impression that the next series was to be the last.

I originally thought the same thing. I read that off Wikipedia which left me speculating since I couldn't find a proper source for that information.

Still that's really good news about a 4th series. I wasn't expecting it to be announced or confirmed at this early stage but it's obviously become a really popular show which is great. It has potential to go on for a long time. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I present to you all...

A brand new trailer for Series 3 of The Dumping Ground!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/clips/p02flyr6

Looks interesting! I look forward to seeing what this series offers! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I'm glad to hear about this series is the extension of episodes. From the looks of the trailer, there's definitely a few storylines to look forward to which is good. It looks quite eventful, I like the looks of it so far. :)

Seems like there could be a lot in store for Johnny and Tee which makes me think that this could be their last series but we'll see.

Series 2 was overall a mixed bag for me but I'm hoping that Series 3 can obtain the quality that Series 1 had. Fingers crossed! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A date has been confirmed by Connor Byrne.

The Dumping Ground will return on the 16th of January 2015. :)
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to the next series.
    The problem I have with this show is that I always seem to eventually become really interested in one character (for e.g. Electra, Faith etc) and next thing I know they've gone and it doesn't really feel like there's much closure.

Looks like there's an interesting upcoming episode with Tee and Johnny, wondering if we'll finally see Keith.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bbclassics wrote: »
    Looking forward to the next series.
    The problem I have with this show is that I always seem to eventually become really interested in one character (for e.g. Electra, Faith etc) and next thing I know they've gone and it doesn't really feel like there's much closure.

Looks like there's an interesting upcoming episode with Tee and Johnny, wondering if we'll finally see Keith.

BIB - I feel the same way. That's one of the only few gripes I have with The Dumping Ground. There was never a mention or explanation of where characters like Elecktra and Gina moved on to. Fortunately, I tweeted Elly Brewer last year and she kindly replied to me saying that Gina went to get a better job in order to provide more money for her mum (as she was put in an old care home). As for Elektra, she went to move in with her sister and this was hinted in the second episode of Series 1. It's a shame they don't explain this onscreen as it doesn't give some closure. They all deserve to have proper closure like Liam and Frank did in the final episode of series 2.

I predict that Faith is likely to have moved on to live with her brother, Razz. Whereas Rick has likely gone to live with his mum and dad in New Zealand as the father planned to make this come to fruition after they would eventually come out of prison in episode 8 of Series 1 and 6 months are likely to have passed by now. I really hope they get a few mentions in this series so we can at least have knowledge of their whereabouts.
    I think Neil Morrissey will be playing the role of Keith (Johnny and Tee's abusive stepdad). As you can see in the trailer, Johnny falls to the ground and Keith tells him to stay away. It will definitely be interesting to watch. I have feeling that this could be their last season as it does seem that way by the looks of the trailer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Synopsis for the first episiode - Law and Disorder (Double episode - Party Games).
    A party for new foster parents goes very wrong, as Bailey and Carmen battle it out over celebrity parents. After watery sabotage unearths stolen purses and wallets, sinister new resident Ryan arrives and turns detective, showing he doesn't care how far he will go to get what he wants.