Saturday Night TV in the 80s

Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What are your memories of Saturday nigh prime-time back in the 80s?

For me it is things like;

The Dukes of Hazzard

Bob's Full House

The Late, Late Breakfast Show

Jim'll Fix it

Just thinking about those theme tunes takes me back to eating spaghetti hoops on a tray as a youngster.
Share your favorite Sat night shows here, and what associations they have with you.

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Airwolf or Knightrider
    Game for a Laugh or Blind Date.
    Casualty
    Late night film
  • Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Airwolf or Knightrider
    Game for a Laugh or Blind Date.
    Casualty
    Late night film

I loved Casualty, when it started ( I was 8) it used to scare me in places. But I remember the first four of five years were when it was at its best, before it became a soap.:D sister Duffy and Megan etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    I remember watching Blind Date, Jim'll Fix It and Casualty in the late 80s.
  • ellie-wellieellie-wellie Posts: 293
    Forum Member
    Dallas
    Dynasty
    Juliet Bravo
    Beadle's About
    3-2-1
    All Creatures Great & Small
    Parkinson
    Cagney & Lacey
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blind Date, to laugh at the self-obsessed tosspots, then straight out on the town for a pub crawl.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WWF Superstars of Wrestling on a sat night at 10pm when channels were free .
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Juliet Bravo & Casualty when I was a kid
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Juliet Bravo & Casualty when I was a kid

Juliet Bravo yes, I can still hear the theme tune. That show scared me sometimes too. I recall an episode where a woman was attacked in the woods, I was creeped out by it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone else remember the time one of the contestants died doing the wheel challenge on 'Late,Late Breakfast Show.' They cancelled the show immediately and put on 'One of our Dinosaurs is Missing' instead, which, at the time, I was thrilled about because it was my favorite film as a kid.
  • KymberlyKymberly Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sitting around my nan and granddads most Saturday afternoons, waiting for Grandstand to finish, then watching cartoons like Pink Panther. If I can recall The Price is Right with Leslie Crowther was also
    very popular with us. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kymberly wrote: »
    Sitting around my nan and granddads most Saturday afternoons, waiting for Grandstand to finish, then watching cartoons like Pink Panther. If I can recall The Price is Right with Leslie Crowther was also
    very popular with us. :)

You must be around the same age as me then ( mid-30s ) as I remember waiting for the end of the football results ie 'Partick Thistle 2- Queens park rangers 0' :D Then the 'All new Pink Panther Show' the ones with Crazy legs Crane, at the end credits he did a disco dance like john Travolta, and I used to amuse my parents by copying it when i was 5/ 6 years old. This was about the time of 'Dukes of Hazzard' too. Ah, memories!!
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Dempsey and Makepeace :-)
  • GwylfaGwylfa Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Juliet Bravo yes, I can still hear the theme tune. That show scared me sometimes too. I recall an episode where a woman was attacked in the woods, I was creeped out by it.

Anna Carteret (?) Who played Juliet Bravo was a patient on Casualty recently...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also recall the big popular shows like 'Robin of Sherwood' on ITV, and 'The Tripods' on BBC1.

And of course, the old favorites, 'The A-Team' and 'Nightrider'.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Very early 80's, might even have started in '79.

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century.

1980, I think.

Metal Mickey.

Yeah, I liked robots :D.
  • Oblido2007Oblido2007 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Game for a Laugh
    Beadle's About
    You Bet
    Generation Game
    Dempsey and Makepeace
    Casualty *

To name a few!

* Casualty started in 1986. From series 3 (1988) to series 6 (1991) the show was broadcasted on Fridays, straight after the 9 o'clock news.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    CHiPs
    Canon and Ball
    Hart To Hart.
    Mind Your Language
    Buck Rogers in the Twenty-fifth Century
    BlockBusters
    The Price Is Right.
    Alf
    Cats Eyes
    Wonder Woman
    Its A Knockout
    Larry Grayson's Generation Game
    Alias Smith and Jones
    Kung Fu
    Three of A Kind
    Blake's Seven
    Fame
    Automan
    Sorry!
    Telly Addicts
    Perfect Strangers
    Hi-Di-Hi
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    From Channel 4

Family Ties
    Right To Reply
    Hill Street Blues.
    A Fine Romance
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone else remember the time one of the contestants died doing the wheel challenge on 'Late,Late Breakfast Show.' They cancelled the show immediately and put on 'One of our Dinosaurs is Missing' instead, which, at the time, I was thrilled about because it was my favorite film as a kid.

His name was Michael Lush yes. It was actually in training for the event. Hard to imagine had it been on the live show.

They made a lot of Juliet Bravos within 5 miles of where I used to live. A common error is people thinking that was the name of the lady inspector !
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Off the top of my head

Punchlines
    The Little & Large Show
    The Russ Abott's Madhouse
    3-2-1
    MacGyver

I also seem to remember BBC1 showing Rolf Harris Cartoon Time maybe around the 5pm or 5.30pm slot.He would draw a cartoon character before the cartoon was shown.I think they showed 3 cartoons.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gerry d wrote: »
    Off the top of my head

Punchlines
    The Little & Large Show
    3-2-1
    MacGyver

I also seem to remember BBC1 showing Rolf Harris Cartoon Time maybe around the 5pm or 5.30pm slot.He would draw a cartoon character before the cartoon was shown.I think they showed 3 cartoons.

I never liked Little and Large, even as a kid I thought there act was appallingly bad, Real end-of-the pier stuff. Syd Little never said much, and Eddies 'joke' about always preventing him from singing was probably dated 25 years ago:D

Didn't like Russ Abbott much either, but then I was mad on The Two Ronnies, so compared every other comedy act to them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gerry d wrote: »
    Off the top of my head

Punchlines
    The Little & Large Show
    3-2-1
    MacGyver

They may have shown Rolf Harris CT occasionally on a Saturday Night, but it was generally screened at 5.30 after CBBC, during the week. This was before Neighbours started being shown at that time in 1988.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    The Pyramid Game with Steve Jones
    The Krankies
    Luna
    Rod Hull And Emu
    Doctor Who
    The Goodies
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CHiPs
    Canon and Ball
    Hart To Hart.
    Mind Your Language
    Buck Rogers in the Twenty-fifth Century
    BlockBusters
    The Price Is Right.
    Alf
    Cats Eyes
    Wonder Woman
    Its A Knockout
    Larry Grayson's Generation Game
    Alias Smith and Jones
    Kung Fu
    Three of A Kind
    Blake's Seven
    Fame
    Automan
    Sorry!
    Telly Addicts
    Perfect Strangers
    Hi-Di-Hi

When was Blockbusters ever shown on a Saturday evening? I remember it always being on weekdays after CITV?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gwylfa wrote: »
    Anna Carteret (?) Who played Juliet Bravo was a patient on Casualty recently...

Inspector Kate Longton. "Juliet Bravo" was her call sign. I prefered Stephanie Turner (Insp Jean Darblay).