World Wrestling Entertainment Discussion XXXV (Spoilers)

FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Like I say, I can't believe he's outselling everybody else combined. I can believe he's the #1 merch seller without a doubt but not to that extent. And then there are morons that say "Cena isn't best for business". Creatively that is probably true but best for actual business, he surely is.

I agree on their need to build new stars and have said in the past they've failed. But your comment also got me thinking, did they create many new stars between the likes of Austin, Trip, Angle, Rock and the rise of Cena, Orton, Batista and Edge in the mid 00s? I'm talking literally WWE made them a star (or they became a star in WWE) as opposed to the Jericho, Benoit, Guerrero, Booker types that were already known from WCW.

I guess what I'm asking is have WWE always had the problem where they find a batch of new guys and then rest on their asses and ride them as far as they can or is it a relatively recent thing since the Cena, Edge, Orton generation?

The only real star they created between those batches is Lesnar but really they should have got more out of the WCW talent available at that time. An unprecedented opportunity wasted. It also is pretty significant to think that Rock and Austin were pretty much gone by the time that Cena etc. we're even debuting in 2002 whereas a good lot of the current crop have been around for over ten years and still dominance the show with only two real main event stars created since then (neither of which have been on TV for months.)

It's actually interesting to consider, when was the last time before Bryan and Punk that WWE pushed a new main eventer who actually was over with fans and remained at the top? It's gotta be Edge I think, which means they've made three main event stars in eight years. That's desperately bad.

Continuation of: World Wrestling Entertainment Discussion XXXIV (Spoilers)

Comments

• FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would even be tempted to have Bryan win the Rumble, have HHH make him defend his shot in the Chamber and he wins that against the odds, really give him super momentum going into Mania and then have Brock beat him and carry on his reign of terror even longer.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,975
    Forum Member
    FMKK wrote: »
    The only real star they created between those batches is Lesnar but really they should have got more out of the WCW talent available at that time. An unprecedented opportunity wasted. It also is pretty significant to think that Rock and Austin were pretty much gone by the time that Cena etc. we're even debuting in 2002 whereas a good lot of the current crop have been around for over ten years and still dominance the show with only two real main event stars created since then (neither of which have been on TV for months.)

It's actually interesting to consider, when was the last time before Bryan and Punk that WWE pushed a new main eventer who actually was over with fans and remained at the top? It's gotta be Edge I think, which means they've made three main event stars in eight years. That's desperately bad.

Obviously a decade is a really long time for the same guys to be at the top, and I agree that they have failed to create new stars which kind of backs up what I was saying that this has been going on for years.

But at the same time, if Austin was healthy which I think would have made him happier with his direction and Rock hadn't got his movie opportunities, I easily believe they would have stayed on top a lot longer than they did. Look at how long Hogan and Flair gripped on with all their might (admittedly in WCW).

Had Edge been healthy he would probably still be in the top spot. It seems to me that for the most part, the main guys in the past that stepped down HAD to step down through injury or found other opportunities outside WWE. Of the four top guys they created between 2005 and Punk/Bryan's rise, one had to retire and one had opportunity outside of the company and two had neither so were able to stay at the top for longer.

Having said that, and I must stress I agree they have been piss poor in building stars, they have more options right now than they have in years. Rollins, Reigns, Ambrose, Cesaro, Barrett and (to a lesser extent) Wyatt have the potential to be the future. You have guys like Ziggler, Cody who could step up if they let them and then you have the four guys who main evented Takeover who have shown massive potential.

And I just realised how long I've been rambling for so imma shut up lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously a decade is a really long time for the same guys to be at the top, and I agree that they have failed to create new stars which kind of backs up what I was saying that this has been going on for years.

But at the same time, if Austin was healthy which I think would have made him happier with his direction and Rock hadn't got his movie opportunities, I easily believe they would have stayed on top a lot longer than they did. Look at how long Hogan and Flair gripped on with all their might (admittedly in WCW).

Had Edge been healthy he would probably still be in the top spot. It seems to me that for the most part, the main guys in the past that stepped down HAD to step down through injury or found other opportunities outside WWE. Of the four top guys they created between 2005 and Punk/Bryan's rise, one had to retire and one had opportunity outside of the company and two had neither so were able to stay at the top for longer.

Having said that, and I must stress I agree they have been piss poor in building stars, they have more options right now than they have in years. Rollins, Reigns, Ambrose, Cesaro, Barrett and (to a lesser extent) Wyatt have the potential to be the future. You have guys like Ziggler, Cody who could step up if they let them and then you have the four guys who main evented Takeover who have shown massive potential.

And I just realised how long I've been rambling for so imma shut up lol.

A further issue is that they just have so much bloody programming these days that people will get tired of seeing the top guys quicker. So they need to have a quicker turnover or at least lots of upward movement in the card.

Regarding those with potential, Cesaro, Barrett, Ziglgler and Wyatt should be up there already if they were booked properly.
    Forum Member
    A further issue is that they just have so much bloody programming these days that people will get tired of seeing the top guys quicker. So they need to have a quicker turnover or at least lots of upward movement in the card.

Regarding those with potential, Cesaro, Barrett, Ziglgler and Wyatt should be up there already if they were booked properly.

Yep I agree.
    Forum Member
    Trish on a possible return:

"Every time I have returned it’s been on the basis that the door is never closed. If some awesome opportunity pops up and it sounds fun and challenging and it’s something I haven’t done before. That’s kind of how each thing has happened. I have a great relationship with WWE and we’re always chatting ideas. You never know, retirement is used very loosely in the wrestling world. There are lots of great workers right now. Seeing Brie and Stephanie in there a couple of weeks ago made me kind of excited again. So we’ll see what happens. You know if that Stephanie keeps up her ways there is one woman that I know can put her in her place, just saying…me!"

Yes please to the bit in bold. Yes please very much.

Stephanie being a bitch and laying a good slap on someone and Trish's music hits BAM! And then Lita comes out during their PPV match and aligns with Steph and then Lita and Trish feud before turning on the poor face and Steph, Lita and Trish just beat them bitches down as the greatest female group of all time and I can die happy

(Ok I'm getting carried away now :D)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus Hollie, massive girl-crush right there! I would love to see Trish back for another run but only in the condition that spathe divas get treated properly and the likes of AJ, Nattie, Charlotte and Paige are allowed to actually wrestle and have real stories. If Trish ends up fighting the Bellas then I would have to jump from a bridge.
    Forum Member
    Jesus Hollie, massive girl-crush right there! I would love to see Trish back for another run but only in the condition that spathe divas get treated properly and the likes of AJ, Nattie, Charlotte and Paige are allowed to actually wrestle and have real stories. If Trish ends up fighting the Bellas then I would have to jump from a bridge.

I would quite happily bury my boyfriend for those three women lol. I mean on a normal day id be happy to bury him for a glass of wine and half a ciggie but that's not the point lol.

I think they should look to bring women back in on part time deals like they do Lesnar, Jericho and RVD. I can cope with Trish fighting the Bellas but I would really like to see a Steph feud and she could do great work with the four women you named. And I would like Lita to return for a stint to give her a retirement match worthy of her career unlike the disgusting way she was treated in 06.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lita might be a bit awkward purely for the fact that she went out with the current top diva's husband for quite a while but I'm sure they could put that to one side. And in the spirit of such reconciliation, Stephanie should be calling up Chyna about making her return as well. :p
    Forum Member
    Lita might be a bit awkward purely for the fact that she went out with the current top diva's husband for quite a while but I'm sure they could put that to one side. And in the spirit of such reconciliation, Stephanie should be calling up Chyna about making her return as well. :p

I think the child in AJ would have no problem facing off with Lita. She was a huge fan and I'm pretty sure I saw a recent picture of them together but I could be wrong.

Don't get me started on Chyna lol.
  • Society619Society619 Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    Or simply because he really isn't ready for the monster push they are putting on his back.

Him being ready is not what i'm worried about, WM31 is next April not next week, so the him "not being ready" claims sound pity to be honest. The guy has had one solid single feud (Along with the other Shield guys) since they split and is easily the most over guy with the live crowd and is the most over face in the company next to Cena (Bryan is hurt). What worries me is jaded fans trying to sabotage something before it's even started.
    Forum Member
    People wouldn't turn on Reigns if he could cut a good promo or work a top notch match. He's nowhere near ready to carry a leading programme and even if fans were totally behind him going into a Mania feud with Brock, Heyman would dance around him on the mic so effortlessly that I think his credibility would be undermined. Another problem really is that the best pushes come from fans organically getting behind someone. Yeah WWE can make someone look strong and then fans will get on the bandwagon but the issue is that the fans aren't behind Reigns to a sufficient level for their plans. So if they push him to that level without him first garnering the appropriate support then it's going to seem like he's being forced on us by Vince and that's where the fans turn. It's not even a case of fans refusing to support a certain type of wrestler. The last mega push that I can think of that was generated by organic fan support (before Bryan that is) is Batista back in 2005. WWE wanted Orton vs Triple H at Mania that year but they teased a bit of dissent between Batista and Evolution months before and fans completely ate it up to the extent that they decided to turn Dave into a mega babyface. Makes it all the more ironic that his forced babyface push last year died on its arse so spectacularly.

That's why I think Bryan or even Ambrose have to get the Mania title match. Bryan will get an epic pop on his return and that momentum can easily be harnessed. Ambrose'so mic work and character can launch him into the stratosphere if this Rollins feud goes how it should.

I've been to a few live shows over the last few months. The claims that Reigns isn't over with the crowd are completely false. Keep in mind guy has ONE singles feud with Orton since the Shield breakup. Reigns is drawing well on the house shows were he is the main attraction and WWE is starting to produce some good merch for him as well. I'm not part of 'Daniel Bryan hype train' and I don't agree with derailing everyones push so Bryan can be shoved down our throats like Cena. It already happened this year because certain people complained about Batista getting the belt and look what happened. Bryan got hurt in 5 mins and Batista became a hit over the summer when he left and he's less likely to come back with the money that Disney is throwing him. Now you want a do-over with Bryan? The beating Lesnar gave Cena was suppose to be for Bryan as it should be. Reigns is the best guy to beat Lesnar unless they can convince Rock to return to face Reigns which I doubt.
    Forum Member
    Just read this:

This can't be true surely. He can't really be outselling the entire roster combined.

I mean I've always understood why they don't turn him heel, and I will stand by what I've said previously that if we were Vince and if he was making us the money he makes the company I doubt anybody would seriously consider changing him, but that really has to be an exaggeration.

Cena has ALWAYS been the #1 in WWE. People think only kids like him but i've seen many adults rocking his gear at live shows as well. Cena has a TON of merchandise that gets sold and he himself generates over 100 Million (US) for WWE every year.

Daniel Bryan was never a big draw in terms of money. His ppv series with Orton bombed in terms of buyrates last fall to the point he got replaced by Big Show and as far as merch, he didn't crack the top 3 until AFTER CM Punk quit. Bryan is over with the live crowds and the "Yes" chants but he is not a big money maker and nobody in the company is close to Cena in terms of sells. That's why Vince won't turn him heel.
    Forum Member
    BFGArmy wrote: »
    Problem for me is though that we hear from fans how it's always the same main-eventers and how they want new ones - yet suddenly when WWE listen and have decided to have Reigns start to compete in and around that level people are complaining. What do people actually want WWE to do? And no wonder Vince is often sometimes so hesitant to listen to everything fans say sometimes if they contradict themselves so often.

I do think Reigns is the 3rd best option though for the WM main-event because as I say bar Bryan and Ambrose no other obvious WM main-eventers come to mind that a large majority of online fans wouldn't whine about or rebel against.

I'd favour Ambrose of the realistic options.

Ambrose, Rollins, Reigns, Bray Wyatt, Bo Dallas, Bryan, Cesaro, Rusev, etc

WWE has made TONS of new stars over the past few years. The problem is online fans want someone to replace Cena, more specially someone that THEY approve of to replace. Replacing Cena is not going to happen anytime soon but WWE has build plenty of new talent.
    Forum Member
    I think Reigns will be fine, people upset that he's getting a push and not Bryan need to get over it, Bryan had his moment. I would strongly support Reigns winning at WM31 and then building a feud with him and Ambrose leading into Summerslam next year.

Reigns vs Ambrose in NY/NJ would be money
  • Alpha32Alpha32 Posts: 2,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Society619 wrote: »
    people upset that he's getting a push and not Bryan need to get over it
    Theres a reason why Bryan isn't getting a push..... he's injured.
    Reigns vs Ambrose in NY/NJ would be money
    No. Just no.

2 weeks Wednesday and the WWE Network is available in the UK. Taking their time considering the UK is considered WWE's 2nd biggest market. Hopefully it's not a watered down version that Canada and other countries they have.
  • PDS1985PDS1985 Posts: 29,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paige on her Twitter regarding the Bella Twins and the tag team match on Raw:

:cool::D
    Forum Member
    Alpha32 wrote: »
    Theres a reason why Bryan isn't getting a push..... he's injured.

Let's be honest, he only got the bump at WM30 is because Punk quit at the Royal Rumble, Bryan even said that himself. Bryan had lost to Bray Wyatt for the second straight show before that had. They weren't giving Bryan that spot until Punk quitting forced their hand.
    No. Just no.

The two most over guys on the Shield getting a marquee match at the second biggest show of the year? What's wrong with that?
  • Alpha32Alpha32 Posts: 2,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's be honest, he only got the bump at WM30 is because Punk quit at the Royal Rumble, Bryan even said that himself. Bryan had lost to Bray Wyatt for the second straight show before that had. They weren't giving Bryan that spot until Punk quitting forced their hand.
    I never said it wasn't because of Punk quitting. Just stating that you said people are upset because Reign's is getting the push and not Bryan which is true because Bryan is injured. Once he returns it'll be to the title picture because he's entitled to a rematch.
    The two most over guys on the Shield getting a marquee match at the second biggest show of the year? What's wrong with that?
    Yes, their the 2 over guys from The Shield but Ambrose has a pretty epic story with Rollins at the moment which I personally think shouldn't end after NOC (providing Ambrose returns at NOC from his movie).

WWE shouldn't ruin Ambrose's popularity by turning him heel just to go against Reign's. I mean, where else would he fit on the roster as a heel? Theres not alot going on for heels in the mid-card and all the heels at the top are already in a program with someone else.
    Forum Member
    I never said it wasn't because of Punk quitting. Just stating that you said people are upset because Reign's is getting the push and not Bryan which is true because Bryan is injured. Once he returns it'll be to the title picture because he's entitled to a rematch.

Orton is also entitled to a rematch but a legitimate one not just one that people thinks he deserves. Best case scenrio with Bryan is he gets smashed by Lesnar before Mania. Worst case is he feuds with Kane.

Yes, their the 2 over guys from The Shield but Ambrose has a pretty epic story with Rollins at the moment which I personally think shouldn't end after NOC (providing Ambrose returns at NOC from his movie).

WWE shouldn't ruin Ambrose's popularity by turning him heel just to go against Reign's. I mean, where else would he fit on the roster as a heel? Theres not alot going on for heels in the mid-card and all the heels at the top are already in a program with someone else.

I never said Ambrose should turn heel.

Reigns vs Ambrose face matchup would have the most potential. Like Batista vs Cena at SS08.
    Forum Member
    2 weeks Wednesday and the WWE Network is available in the UK. Taking their time considering the UK is considered WWE's 2nd biggest market. Hopefully it's not a watered down version that Canada and other countries they have.

I believe the Sky deal will have something to do with our launch being so far off. I think we will get the full US version which has been rolled out internationally in an OTT service.

Canada's launch has been a joke but apparently more successful than WWE had anticipated.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the child in AJ would have no problem facing off with Lita. She was a huge fan and I'm pretty sure I saw a recent picture of them together but I could be wrong.

Don't get me started on Chyna lol.

I forgot that AJ was a big childhood fan of hers. I now remember seeing the video of AJ as a little girl meeting her at a signing. Now she's married to her ex-boyfriend. Wrestling is weird. Or CM Punk is a man-****.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambrose, Rollins, Reigns, Bray Wyatt, Bo Dallas, Bryan, Cesaro, Rusev, etc

WWE has made TONS of new stars over the past few years. The problem is online fans want someone to replace Cena, more specially someone that THEY approve of to replace. Replacing Cena is not going to happen anytime soon but WWE has build plenty of new talent.

Other than Bryan, none of these people are made men yet. Ambrose, Rollins and Reigns are in prime position but both Bray and Cesaro have been deflated shockingly since Mania. I'm not talking making a star as in someone who gets a reaction on TV, I'm talking about a main event push that sticks and keeps the guy at the upper echelon of the card for life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PDS1985 wrote: »
    Paige on her Twitter regarding the Bella Twins and the tag team match on Raw:

:cool::D

The very first reply underneath was particularly delightful... :(:p:o

I must say though, I liked that little backstage segment between AJ, Paige and Nikki on Smackdown. Paige has definitely got more confident in her speaking.
    Forum Member
    I forgot that AJ was a big childhood fan of hers. I now remember seeing the video of AJ as a little girl meeting her at a signing. Now she's married to her ex-boyfriend. Wrestling is weird. Or CM Punk is a man-****.

I think the second one is probably right lol. That man seems to have been around the WWE block so many times.
    Forum Member
    Oh wow didn't realise new thread :D
This discussion has been closed.