Options

Cat Insurance

JDBabyJDBaby Posts: 180
Forum Member
Hi

I'm looking for suggestions for pet insurance for our cat. He is a 15 year old cat in good health except for some bouts of asthma which the vets have checked, but he is not taking any medication. He is also chipped and neutered.

Argos have quoted a renewal premium of £464 with £65 vets policy excess & £100 accidental damage excess.

Most quotes we've had are about the same or more. If they are cheaper the excess is a lot higher (£150.00+) and/or a percentage contribution to any claims (usually 15%).

Obviously we are looking for a cheaper premium, without paying a percentage contribution towards any claim. I realise policy excess would have to be higher, but would prefer it to be no higher than £100.00.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    Whenever anyone asks for pet insurance I always go Animal Friends

I've got 2 cats insured with them, reasonable price and good claims service.

The main reason I went with them is they are an ethical company and 100% of their profits go to animal charities around the world.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    clm2071 wrote: »
    Whenever anyone asks for pet insurance I always go Animal Friends

I've got 2 cats insured with them, reasonable price and good claims service.

The main reason I went with them is they are an ethical company and 100% of their profits go to animal charities around the world.

Thanks for that. Their quote is good, however their policy excess also has a 35% contribution towards any claim (ouch). I'll still keep it in mind, in the end it's all about the risk. Most of the claims made in the past have been cat fights (unneutered neighbourhood stray which we have tried to catch without success). These normally cost under £100, not worth claiming, but one fight was very serious which cost £1800. 35% of that would hit the bank account pretty bad.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be really surprised considering his age if you got any better quotes than you've already received, I'm actually surprised that you've had anyone prepared to quote you at all!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never insured any of my dogs. The vets bills over the last 40 years have been far less than the insurance premiums.

You could work a payment plan with your vet. Just pay them a premium every month to cover any bills.
  • Options
    dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you got a quote from Direct Line?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    I've never insured any of my dogs. The vets bills over the last 40 years have been far less than the insurance premiums.

You could work a payment plan with your vet. Just pay them a premium every month to cover any bills.

Never insured your dogs, never neutered them... What a shiny star animal owner you are....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    Never insured your dogs, never neutered them... What a shiny star animal owner you are....

Nope. Couldn't afford it when we were younger.

Don't know what kind of owner I am, a good one, I hope.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dollymarie wrote: »
    Have you got a quote from Direct Line?

He is to old to be taken on a a new risk by Direct Line. It very much looks like Argos is the best I'm gonna get.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Many thanks for your replies, however it seems staying with Argos is the best deal.