TiVo 2 ( V6 ) Next Software Update ?

tvmad-alantvmad-alan Posts: 1,996
Forum Member
✭✭✭
VM has had it's second generation TiVo called V6 in customer homes for a month now, that catches up with BT & Sky that both have UHD boxes. :)

Like all new tech these days it needs fixes with updated software :(

So here are the bugs I have found so far and wish VM to fix them soon....
( I have two V6 boxes that are linked to SH3 by Wi Fi one to LG 55" 3D UHD Smart TV with Freeview Play & Freesat tuners & other is SAMSUNG 3D HD Smart TV with Freeview HD & Freesat HD tuners )

1) When you put the box on it will have no vision yet sound & red button work and you need to switch off then on again to get the box working .

2) You can not link the V6 boxes together by network cable while you using Wi Fi to link to SH3.

3) The V6 has a millisecond drop in vision & sound at times.

4) Few of my recordings have been cut at the start or end even with a padding of 1 minute at start and 2 minutes at end WHY ?

5) At first time fix the box shows Wi FI signal and other items on the LED , but after it blank.

6) The remote needs to be linked to the box at first fix in our homes yet old TiVo remote does not yet will old remote will work with new box ?

A fix for BBC UHD test IPlayer and Netflix UHD have been done in first weeks :) and all is working fine.

There is a Bug were the new boxes will not work with Wi Fi when first put in to customer homes until the box is fully updated and then you can ask the box for restart and then you can get the box to work with Wi Fi OK. ( this may be down to boxes having different software put on them at the factory ? )

DO YOU SEE ANY ITEM TO MAKE THE V6 WORK BETTER FOR YOU ?

Comments

• RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvmad-alan wrote: »
    VM has had it's second generation TiVo called V6 in customer homes for a month now, that catches up with BT & Sky that both have UHD boxes. :)

Like all new tech these days it needs fixes with updated software :(

So here are the bugs I have found so far and wish VM to fix them soon....
    ( I have two V6 boxes that are linked to SH3 by Wi Fi one to LG 55" 3D UHD Smart TV with Freeview Play & Freesat tuners & other is SAMSUNG 3D HD Smart TV with Freeview HD & Freesat HD tuners )

1) When you put the box on it will have no vision yet sound & red button work and you need to switch off then on again to get the box working .

2) You can not link the V6 boxes together by network cable while you using Wi Fi to link to SH3.

3) The V6 has a millisecond drop in vision & sound at times.

4) Few of my recordings have been cut at the start or end even with a padding of 1 minute at start and 2 minutes at end WHY ?

5) At first time fix the box shows Wi FI signal and other items on the LED , but after it blank.

6) The remote needs to be linked to the box at first fix in our homes yet old TiVo remote does not yet will old remote will work with new box ?

A fix for BBC UHD test IPlayer and Netflix UHD have been done in first weeks :) and all is working fine.

There is a Bug were the new boxes will not work with Wi Fi when first put in to customer homes until the box is fully updated and then you can ask the box for restart and then you can get the box to work with Wi Fi OK. ( this may be down to boxes having different software put on them at the factory ? )

DO YOU SEE ANY ITEM TO MAKE THE V6 WORK BETTER FOR YOU ?

The short dropouts in sound & vision are an old but carried forward from the old TiVo.

If all 6 of the tuners are in use, it will drop the padding to enable it to record the programmes, just like the old box. I find that this happens much less than it used to as it's not that often all 6 tuners are being used at the same time.

Yes, the old TiVo remote works with the V6.
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member

what does he mean about this?
  • tvmad-alantvmad-alan Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

what does he mean about this?

When the box is first put on by the VM tech the LED screen shows images and data but now the LED screen / panel is blank all the time...

Why put an info panel and not use it like show what channel you are watching and if you are recording and Wi Fi signal bars like on your laptop or phone....

Why should a box not show that it is working as software is not always great or right so a display is nice ...

ON the V6 the only 3 buttons do jack S*** only things they do is one lights up a colour and will power up or down while the + & - buttons will take you to the top of the EPG listings and down the bottom no half way....??
    Forum Member
    When the box is first put on by the VM tech the LED screen shows images and data but now the LED screen / panel is blank all the time...

Why put an info panel and not use it like show what channel you are watching and if you are recording and Wi Fi signal bars like on your laptop or phone....

Why should a box not show that it is working as software is not always great or right so a display is nice ...

ON the V6 the only 3 buttons do jack S*** only things they do is one lights up a colour and will power up or down while the + & - buttons will take you to the top of the EPG listings and down the bottom no half way....??

since this box can take Horizon as well (in VM Ireland and other UPC areas), I bet that display works on that software.

TiVo since series 4 (Premiere), series 5 (Roamio), and the latest bolt, ditched the LCD screen. I wonder if the code was removed as a result? technically it should still be there, but I do wonder. Perhaps a software update will fix it?

Perhaps its intentionally left off with the idea that the RF remote and you hiding the box in a cabinet etc?
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,699
    Forum Member
    Probably because they started more than 1 min early and finished more than 2 mins late.
  • tvmad-alantvmad-alan Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VM needs to fix that the V6 switches off the Wi Fi link when not in use as with my Two V6 boxes I now loose 108Mbps in Wi Fi speed on my laptop which also gets locked at 54Mbps on the super hub 3 .....
    So now have my laptop linked by cable which now locked the laptop at 1000Mbps going by the SH3 data ....
    Forum Member
    VM needs to fix that the V6 switches off the Wi Fi link when not in use as with my Two V6 boxes I now loose 108Mbps in Wi Fi speed on my laptop which also gets locked at 54Mbps on the super hub 3 .....
    So now have my laptop linked by cable which now locked the laptop at 1000Mbps going by the SH3 data ....

what you need to know is that is the speed in which the data is transmitted at.

it is not sucking up bandwidth in the way you are suggesting. and certainly isn't 'locked' at 54.

1000mbps is the speed of the laptop connection meaning you can move data at gigabit speeds.

bandwidth merely means the amount of concurrent connections at a set speed it can handle.

example if I use skype, I will most likely be using about 2mbps. general browsing about the same. the only time the full speed is used is when you do a full HTTP download.
  • ozsatozsat Posts: 5,744
    Forum Member
    As I posted in his other thread note on this subject - I'm not seeing any drop in my speed with two V6 boxes both active via WiFi.
  • martytoomartytoo Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First problems developed with V6 it sometimes fails to come out of standby correctly the LED turns White but there's no picture or Sound power cycle required to fix.
    Last night two recordings failed Endeavour and Still Open All Hours checked Recording Hiccups, "Power Loss" rubbish there was no power loss last night. The V6 was in standby, from now on it's staying on all the time at least till I've got time to complain to VM.
  • martytoomartytoo Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Second week running failed to Record Still Open All Hours this weeks reason 'Channel no Authorised'.
    Power toggle again Now it's recording it just not from the start. Looks calling CS, hopefully I won't lose everything.