Why are you buying an Xbox One?

Comments

• SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TommyNooka wrote: »
    I'm don't consider myself to be thick but I still can't quite understand how this is going to work, why wouldn't every Xbox one user just get to together in game sharing 'clans'? This feature isn't going to be straightforward in my cynical opinion, I think some people have suggested you'll need a family live subscription or something along those lines.
    I'd love to think my concerns are unwarranted but I have seen absolutely nothing reassuring coming from MS.

My brother was absolutely 100% getting an Xbox One until MS detailed there games policy, he can't be @rsed with all the nonsense when as experienced gamers of 30+ years we're used to games just 'working'!!!

It wouldn't work with "clans" as my understanding is that although you can give several people access to the same bought game they can't be playing it at the same time.
  • TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wouldn't work with "clans" as my understanding is that although you can give several people access to the same bought game they can't be playing it at the same time.

Yeah I understand that, maybe I choose the wrong word there and should just have said groups, point still stands though, you could have 10 friends playing a game with a single purchase as long as you play it at different times. For example all 10 of you buy a different game and play one each until you're finished then rotate, this is not going to made easy!
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    I don't want this to be seen as an attack on anybody in this thread. I just don't get the argument of I'm a 360 owner so Im getting an Xbox one. I'm a 360 gamer. The key word is not 360, its gamer, to me anyway. I have sunk 6+years into my 360 account, achievements, games, Minecraft :D and friends. Walking away is hard but for me it has to be done. If the future is Microsoft then I want no part of it. Its not what gaming is about to me and if I was a 10 year old gamer in todays world the xbox one would seriously restrict my ability to play games, (many games) easily and I would simply not grow up with the same love for games as I do now.

I have talked with a few xbox friends and I have made it clear I will switching to the PS4 weather they are crossing over or not. The ones I talked to all agreed with me. (All adults). This new xbox is just not gamer friendly no matter how people paint it. To me its just not what gaming is about.

You're obviously talking about me, hehe. I call myself a 360 gamer as it's where 90% of my gaming is done, but you are right, of course we are just gamers and I love all consoles. It is a logical step to make is because if I went to PS4 I will miss the franchises I love the most, I thought it was pretty simple really.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Well, as a 360 gamer it feels like the most natural path to take at this point. I'm buying an X1 for the games and for the series that I love the most. Forza Motorsport, (I guess Turn 10 are to me what Naughty Dog is to you if you are a Sony fan).

I'm a big fan of Remedy's work so I look forward to Quantum Break, the promise of a new Halo at 1080p @ 60 fps makes me think there is a strong focus on gameplay. Dead Rising 3 looks awesome, Ryse look nice, even a new (to all accounts and purposes) Panzer Dragoon game with proper controls and a new Killer Instinct. D4 and Insomniac's Sunset Overdrive look intriguing, some good exclusives there! It's a solid launch for sure! (IMO)

I also like the look of the controller, the idea of impulse triggers which I know will enhance gameplay in subtle but significant ways.

I really don't understand all the hate, life's too short, these things are here for our enjoyment, if you don't like it then don't buy it, I fail to really understand why there is this "need" to somehow justify a purchase of an X1. If you like PS4 then cool, go enjoy it! I won't judge you.

One thing's for sure, I'm certainly not going to be basing my purchase of a games console on "consumer rights", because at the end of the day I won't notice any difference between the operation of either machine when it comes to playing games. Some people may not be so lucky and it's unfortunate for them.

Ok, so basically you're saying that it's the games that are bringing you over more than anything else. So Forza and the others mostly. I understand where you're coming from with that mindset. Life is too short to worry about all the stuff MS have announced, but don't you think that this is the start of a transition to an all digital console. A console where you don't own your games at all and prices are dictated by the console manufacturers/publishers.

An example of this is with Xbox Live. MS started charging for Live first and created a paywall for online multiplayer and even apps across the Xbox. At the time there was a lot of outrage but it's now seen as normal, even normal enough for Sony to implement a similar strategy on the PS4. So do you think that if the Xbox sells in numbers that other console manufacturers and even industries will start implementing strict online checks and blocking ownership of stuff?

Would you be happy with a future like that which basically takes away more consumer rights? Or is it something that doesn't bother you and something that you can live with?

Also have you considered what happens to your games in say 6 years from now when they become unpopular and the servers are shut down. That'll mean you can't access that game any more, or even worse, if Xbox Live goes down for a week, you can't access any games any more?

Just some questions. Don't worry i'm not attacking you.
    Also have a look at my reply below about being treated as a pirate. What's your view on that as well?
    He4rt wrote: »
    For lots of reasons....

1. I have a 9 year old son who loves creation games (Lego, minecraft etc etc) when i showed him some games coming out he was instantly sold. When he saw 'project spark' he said things like 'I want to make a tree into a fighter!' There is also a new edition of Minecraft coming to the Xbox one. My son is mad on minecraft.the added kinect is also a bonus as my 5 year old daughter loves playing kinect at my brothers house.

2. I much prefer the Xbox 360 joypad over the ps3 joypad, and the Xbox one joypad has been improved (if thats even possible)

3. It will cost me more to buy a ps4. Yup, if i bought i ps4 i would have to buy a ps+ sub aswell as the camera ( for my kids) which would hike the price over the Xbox ones price which i already have 18 months gold left on with the 360.

4. I prefer xbox live over PSN.

5.i already have an account on 360 so will be able to carry all my achievements and friends over ( those that haven't jumped shop of course.)

6. The Xbox one has more exclusive games lined up for it that i want to play. Dead rising 3, Ryse, Forza 5, Titanfall, project spark.

7. All my friends are getting one.

8. The fact that the ps4 is supporting pre owned sales works in my favour, because it means that if i do decide to get one in a couple of years i could buy one with a stack of pre owned games on the cheap.

9. The potential of 'the cloud' excites me.

10. 24 hour checks don't bother me, I'm always connected to Xbox live anyway.

........I could probably go on, but I'll leave it there. Iv'e been back and forth over the past few weeks. (Iv'e pre ordered and cancelled a ps4 3 times!) but now have my mind set on Microsofts offering. If it flops, then so be it, at least I'll get enjoyment for a few years before i move on.

So you're saying that because your 9 year old son wants it you'll get one. Fair enough. The price factor is fair enough. ALthough your 4th point is somewhat of a misconception as both online services have been improved. And again like the poster i quoted above it's also the games that have convinced yourself.

One thing i would say is that the cloud is a gimmick. It's a marketing term used to convince people to buy one. Microsoft admitted themselves in an internal document that the "Cloud" is actually a marketing term for always online DRM. Basically its so games have to be connected through the internet to play so you can't sell them or pirate them or whatever.

Also do you not feel that your rights as a consumer are being taken away with this console? That you no longer own anything and have to have a smooth internet connection just to turn it on? Also don't you think that being treated as a pirate/criminal is a bit too much. For example, even though you've bought a game with your money, if you can't verify it you can't play it. So Microsoft are assuming you're a criminal or pirate until you can verify you bought the games.

Also what do you think of having a camera in your house that can't be unplugged from the system at all. We already know that the US governement and other organisations are mining Microsoft for data from users. Are you worried that Kinect could be a security risk or could be hackable in the future?

The restrictions that Microsoft have imposed is wrong, i know this, but they don't effect me as a gamer at all.

1.ive had my xbox 360 connected to the Internet since day one and its never been disconnected unless to move it for any reason.I also play 95% of my gaming online ( defiance,borderlands,call of duty etc etc) so if my Internet goes down, I'll do something else, i have other hobbies aswell.

2.i own around 14 disc based games, not one of them is pre owned, and some i purchased for under 15 quid, the rest of my games are on my Hard drive though games on demand etc.Although i will admit to trading some games in the past to buy new games, i will see how this works with Xbox one in the future if i do decide to cash in on some of my old games.

3.i loan games to 1 friend, and he does the same in return, i trust him with my life and we have often logged in to each others accounts to play games that we have purchased. This will carry on with Xbox one.Maybe more so with the cloud

I just wish people would leave off a little.

Again, like above. Do you think that by purchasing this console you're validating Microsoft to go even further with their next console or even on the Xbox One. At the moment they seem to want to control the consumer so my question is why would you let them do something which will ultimately affect you in the future, and also affects others right now. What MS are doing is trying to get everyone used to a digital license that you can't sell or trade in at all. It's their future plan.

Also, just to let you know but renting and loaning is confirmed to be blocked by MS.
    gavo360 wrote: »
    I want a Xbox one because I feel they are better games due in the first year of its life. But I do rent 90% of my games from lovefilm so I'm going to wait and see how that will work out with drm.

We will have to wait and see how the console sells in the first year or so because the 360 had a great advantage last gen because it was first out and outsold the ps3 in the early years so it was the lead platform for developers. But if the ps4 outsells the Xbox one by a big margin then developers will do a better job on the ps4 version and we may lose out on content and less support in general.

So basically games is the answer. And yeh, according to all documents from microsoft, leaked and official, renting is 100% blocked. You will not be allowed to rent any games. You can only buy them full price or used from GAME or another participating retailer.

Does that change your mind at all or would you look past it? If you'd look past it then why? Because of the games? Because your friends have it? etc...

It's early days right now but at the moment i;d say due to the $1b Xbox has spent that it'll mean more games and better software support early on. But one thing that Sony have proved is that their first party studios can deliver. So i fully expect to see more game announcements in the coming months and many more to come over the next few years.
    TommyNooka wrote: »
    The reason those that are fully committed to the Xbox one are getting stick from the majority is simply down to their perceived lack of solidarity with other gamers, they are the 'I'm Alright Jack' brigade. If you show an unflinching devotion to a particular brand regardless of their complete and utter lack of respect for you then you are opening the floodgates for these sorts of corporate greed decisions to continue. Just because a particular change doesn’t effect you personally doesn’t mean you should blindly accept it, have some sympathy for those it does affect and hopefully if enough people voice their concerns then the decision may be reversed.
    I have a real issue with not being able to loan games to my brother without jumping through hoops and potentially having my purchased game completely blocked for my own use when I get it back.
    I have been a loyal Xbox player since about 2002, I loved both the controllers (but not the HUGE original xbox controller), I loved the first 2 Halo games, and then gears, forza etc. on the 360 but I will not buy into MS vision for the future of gaming just because I liked a few things about their past work.
    I’ll wait and see before committing to any of the next gen consoles but unless MS make a huge retraction then the only choice will be the PS4 but even that is by no means a certain buy for me.

I agree, a lot of people are saying it doesn't affect them so screw everyone else. I think a lot of people are forgetting that it does affect them and will affect them in the future. I know it's their money to spend but it should still be spent wisely on something that is designed to benefit the consumer rather than drain every penny from them.

And just to let you know. MS have said loaning and rentals are blocked. You can't do it.

Only way you can loan a game is by having your friend log into your account or having them on your family Xbox Live account as a member. But then only ONE of you can be playing the game at any time.

A bit off topic but i find it weird how no one has really mentioned kinect properly. It's marketed as an integral part of the system which must push the price up by at least £80 at least. Yet no one seems to care about it being there. Is it something you'd use and are excited for? Or is it an after thought for people?
  • Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thread title: why are you buying an Xbox One?

Your answer: No

:confused:

And you were expecting an 'xboner'.......?

Don't be pedantic, you know what the guy meant.

No, he won't be buying a Xbox One, and the console doesn't excite him due to MS restrictions.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know how the American market is reacting to the Xbox One?
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    So you're saying that because your 9 year old son wants it you'll get one. Fair enough

I'm not responding to this thread anymore,iv'e already been accused of being a fanboy once, no matter what i say i will be attacked.

What i do want to say is please don't bring my son into this or my decisions as a parent, there were 9 other reasons you could have attacked. You know nothing about me, my income or my family. Low blows will get you no where.

Happy gaming.
    Forum Member
    I'm not responding to this thread anymore,iv'e already been accused of being a fanboy once, no matter what i say i will be attacked.

What i do want to say is please don't bring my son into this or my decisions as a parent, there were 9 other reasons you could have attacked. You know nothing about me, my income or my family. Low blows will get you no where.

Happy gaming.

I didn't bring anything personal into it mate. You're the one who said that you were buying it for your son. I was just agreeing with you.

Sorry if you thought i was attacking you. I was just acknowledging the point you made as a valid one. That's what fair enough means.
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Anyone know how the American market is reacting to the Xbox One?

Core gamers have reacted mostly negatively.

A lot of people on forums are torn but the general consensus is that the PS4 is better but a lot of people are still trying to say the Xbox is what everyone should go for.

Average joe doesn't care.
    Forum Member

I didn't bring anything personal into it mate. You're the one who said that you were buying it for your son. I was just agreeing with you.

I never said im buying it for my son.Im buying it....for me. The fact that there will be games that my kids will enjoy is a bonus.

Your comment implied that I'm the kind of father that gets my kids what ever they want, that they are spoilt, maybe i read it wrong, but that's how it read to me.
    Forum Member
    I never said im buying it for my son.Im buying it....for me. The fact that there will be games that my kids will enjoy is a bonus.

Your comment implied that I'm the kind of father that gets my kids what ever they want, that they are spoilt, maybe i read it wrong, but that's how it read to me.

Nope, i was saying it was a valid reason to buy one. As in "fair enough/that makes sense/it benefits him and you etc..."
    Forum Member
    Nope, i was saying it was a valid reason to buy one. As in "fair enough/that makes sense/it benefits him and you etc..."

Fair enough, then i apologise for being over presumptuous.

Have a nice day:)
    Forum Member
    Dave3622 wrote: »
    Don't be pedantic, you know what the guy meant.

No, he won't be buying a Xbox One, and the console doesn't excite him due to MS restrictions.

I know what he meant yes;)

But there are plenty of other threads to get his point across, his answer even when translated by yourself makes no sense being in this thread.

I apologise for being an ass., im out now.:)
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any chance ms could do a u turn?

They must have people looking and seeing what the reaction has been like.
    Forum Member
    I think there's some serious denial going on in the gaming community personally and a genuine fear for change, the negativity from some circles is atrocious. X1 is ticking the right boxes for me and that's all that matters.

Fanboy accusations always come from those that are fanboys themselves.
    Forum Member
    I think there's some serious denial going on in the gaming community personally and a genuine fear for change, the negativity from some circles is atrocious. X1 is ticking the right boxes for me and that's all that matters.

Fanboy accusations always come from those that are fanboys themselves.

Can you explain why the direction MS is going in will benefit the consumer in the long run?

At the moment i can see a few positives but at the same time i can see loads more negatives.

In my view i believe the consumer should always have a choice when it comes to the product they've purchased. So for example they should have a choice to connect their Amazon Kindle to the internet to improve the experience, they should have a choice to allow a company to use data on your PC to improve your experience etc...

What MS have given us is not a choice, it's a set of forced polices and restrictions.
    Forum Member
    Can you explain why the direction MS is going in will benefit the consumer in the long run?

At the moment i can see a few positives but at the same time i can see loads more negatives.

In my view i believe the consumer should always have a choice when it comes to the product they've purchased. So for example they should have a choice to connect their Amazon Kindle to the internet to improve the experience, they should have a choice to allow a company to use data on your PC to improve your experience etc...

What MS have given us is not a choice, it's a set of forced polices and restrictions.

You have choice; whether to buy it or not. you know what it is, what it does, they haven't hidden anything. It's up to you if you like what the console is offering and if you meet the requirements. You can still play offline, disconnected if you must, but it's just a 24 hour authentication. I don't think it's such a big deal, but ultimately it's your choice.

The benefits of the new Xbox Live and it's online requirements means it can offload computation to it that can supposedly enhance the machines capabilities in the long run making things more efficient, seamless communication and fast downloads. Dedicated servers for every multiplayer game making lag a thing of the past.

How this will all work or how successful it will be is yet to be determined but there are benefits and I propose these will be made apparent as time unfolds.
    Forum Member
    You have choice; whether to buy it or not. you know what it is, what it does, they haven't hidden anything. It's up to you if you like what the console is offering and if you meet the requirements. You can still play offline, disconnected if you must, but it's just a 24 hour authentication. I don't think it's such a big deal, but ultimately it's your choice.

The benefits of the new Xbox Live and it's online requirements means it can offload computation to it that can supposedly enhance the machines capabilities in the long run making things more efficient, seamless communication and fast downloads. Dedicated servers for every multiplayer game making lag a thing of the past.

How this will all work or how successful it will be is yet to be determined but there are benefits and I propose these will be made apparent as time unfolds.

Dedicated servers is good, it makes live a lot more attractive as an offer now. Especially the free games thing as well.

I know what you're saying about it being a choice in buying the console. But i'm more speaking about having a choice after you've bought the console. As long as you know what you're getting into and you're happy that's fine. But for the average joe who doesn't know as much as us, it's restricting them on something they were used to doing.

I think you're right in saying there are some benefits. But i do think the online connection every 24 hours is a bit too much. I mean you don't get the same on DVD players or the kindle or whatever. It just seems a bit unnecessary to have an online connection required when you're still selling retail discs. Like i said above it's a bit like MS are creating a digital console in a retail world and they've created problems themselves which they've ended up sorting out themselves with a negative affect on the consumer of being treated as a pirate. I mean imagine if your PC stopped working every time your internet went down and you couldn't open Microsoft word. It's a bit stupid when you think about it.

You know the bit in bold is something the PS2 or original Xbox can do right. The cloud is nothing new, here is another way we can describe the cloud- "Online Multiplayer".

The cloud can't enhance games any more than they could be enhanced on the PS2/PS3/360 with an internet connection. It's a marketing gimmick. It's basically a way to enforce always online DRM. MS leaked documents have confirmed this. And they have been proven legit by CBOAT who is a game news leaker who has been right about 99% of things since 2004.

Driveatar is an example of the cloud in action but Quake 2 did this back in 1997.
    Forum Member
    I know this whole cloud computation is marketing speak, I'm not an expert in networking so I'm not sure how it works or why a 24hr authentication is even needed so if it's purely DRM based then it wouldn't surprise me. I agree with your points and I don't particularly like it but I can live with it. It may not be new technology but having more than 300,000 dedicated servers for XBL is a game changer and is what will enable this technology to happen.

Time will tell if it's bullshit or not. It's a funny thing but when I'm playing State of Decay I'm getting a feeling of "next-gen" more so than any other game I've played in recent memory and I can fully understand how this cloud networking could massively enhance this game, and I love it!
    Forum Member
    I know this whole cloud computation is marketing speak, I'm not an expert in networking so I'm not sure how it works or why a 24hr authentication is even needed so if it's purely DRM based then it wouldn't surprise me. I agree with your points and I don't particularly like it but I can live with it. It may not be new technology but having more than 300,000 dedicated servers for XBL is a game changer and is what will enable this technology to happen.

Time will tell if it's bullshit or not. It's a funny thing but when I'm playing State of Decay I'm getting a feeling of "next-gen" more so than any other game I've played in recent memory and I can fully understand how this cloud networking could massively enhance this game, and I love it!

Yeh makes sense. If you can see the benefits then why should it matter what other people think right. And you're right, Microsoft are finally giving some value for money in Xbox Live and that's something that i don't think Sony can match (in terms of servers) but they've definitely got a better offer of perks with PS plus.

You've raised some interesting points but at the end of the day none of that really relates to me and so i'm going to vote with my wallet and not buy an Xbox One (unless they sort out the issues).

Tbh i haven't looked at state of decay properly. I'll go watch a couple of reviews when i get time tomorrow.

Thanks for answering the questions properly.
  • VegetaVegeta Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want the best of both worlds, the smart thing to do is to buy an xbox1 so you can play all your favourite exclusives. Then resell it and buy a PS4 after you finished with it. After all your xbox 1 games will be worthless in about 10 years time anyway.

Having said all that. Do I even have the right to sell my console and games?
    Forum Member
    Yeh makes sense. If you can see the benefits then why should it matter what other people think right. And you're right, Microsoft are finally giving some value for money in Xbox Live and that's something that i don't think Sony can match (in terms of servers) but they've definitely got a better offer of perks with PS plus.

You've raised some interesting points but at the end of the day none of that really relates to me and so i'm going to vote with my wallet and not buy an Xbox One (unless they sort out the issues).

Tbh i haven't looked at state of decay properly. I'll go watch a couple of reviews when i get time tomorrow.

Thanks for answering the questions properly.

No probs. I believe the overall vision is to merge single player and multiplayer together so there's very little distinction between them and I see that as being the future which puts X1 in a good position. Look at games like The Crew, The Divsion, Destiny, Titanfall and numerous other examples.

State of Decay really is an original title, if you play it you might see what I'm getting at.
    Forum Member
    Vegeta wrote: »
    If you want the best of both worlds, the smart thing to do is to buy an xbox1 so you can play all your favourite exclusives. Then resell it on, and buy a PS4 after you finished with it. After all your xbox 1 games will be worthless in about 10 years time anyway.

I don't know, the smart thing to do would be to vote with your wallet and not buy an Xbox One in the hope that Microsoft change all their policies. At the end of the day consumers are very powerful and Microsoft have implemented the DRM mostly on a software base so it's easy enough for them to change how the system works.

It's likely they won't backtrack now but doesn't mean they won't in the future.
    No probs. I believe the overall vision is to merge single player and multiplayer together so there's very little distinction between them and I see that as being the future which puts X1 in a good position. Look at games like The Crew, The Divsion, Destiny, Titanfall and numerous other examples.

State of Decay really is an original title, if you play it you might see what I'm getting at.

That's something i've noticed a lot with the games shown at E3. There is a blur between single player and multiplayer and everything really has become more social. We'll still get single player only games and multiplayer only etc... but i think we'll see more and more free to play games and single/multiplayer games coming out in the future.

Makes sense because that's the way the industry is headed. But i still think it's no excuse for the way MS have positioned their console. MS blamed it on the publishers yet EA (the biggest out there) said they had no say in it at all and this is confirmed by the leaked documents as well. So it doesn't exactly give me faith in MS for the future of Xbox One.

Especially when i can get the same games on PS4 or maybe Wii U (ok not really :p) and can go offline or whatever if i need to in other games which aren't like this or have an offline mode.

I will go have a look at state of decay. It sounds interesting from what i just read.

Oh and division looks great as well.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Look at all the PS4 exclusives. Social is big on PS4. The games you gave aren't even all xbox exclusive.
  • BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm buying one because I don't see any issue in DRM. Having no Piracy doesn't hurt me in anyway. 24 hours dial home doesn't hurt me in any way. My Xbox is already always connected, and If I lose my internet for a few days I can just use my mobile as a tether.

Xbox One has more exclusives, and exclusives that suit my play style more than the ones on the PS4. Now that may change over time, but that;s where we are right now.

Xbox game pad is far better than the Sony ones.

Kinect camera being always on isn't an issue for me. It's not like it will be always recording and sending my front room to some National Security agency. I mean do people seriously think countries have the man power to store or watch all that video? I've always been off the opinion Kinect has a lot of potential that hasn't been realised.

Xbox live has historically been more reliable than PSN and has had far less downtime, and more importantly PSN got hacked just a few years ago.