Ibrox Disaster - such little coverage

big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm a bit stunned as to why the Ibrox Disaster gets such little coverage in the rest of the Uk yet Hillsborough anniversaries are all over the news.

The 40th anniversary of 66 people getting crushed to death seems to be forgotten everywhere apart from Scotland. A chilling documentary about it is only being shown on BBC Scotland. :(

Comments

• bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I know the reason but won't post it publically as it would only hijack the thread.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,653
    Forum Member
    Even as a huge Rangers fan, it shouldnt be a competition. Both were tragic disasters and this particular one will be remembered brilliantly this weekend.
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even as a huge Rangers fan, it shouldnt be a competition. Both were tragic disasters and this particular one will be remembered brilliantly this weekend.

I'm not saying that it should be a competition it should at least be recognised and not forgotten about
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    It isn't being forgotten about, it's being marked this weekend, it's all over the papers and there's a programme on tv about it.

What else are people meant to do?
  • Red OkktoberRed Okktober Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 40th anniversary of 66 people getting crushed to death seems to be forgotten everywhere apart from Scotland.. :(
    Were you expecting the inhabitants of Papua New Guinea to hold some kind of commemorative dinner & dance over the weekend?
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Were you expecting the inhabitants of Papua New Guinea to hold some kind of commemorative dinner & dance over the weekend?

No but I thought it might have been shown throughout the UK
  • bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No but I thought it might have been shown throughout the UK

It is, BBC2 Scotland is available nationwide.
  • Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could it be down to time with it being 40 years ago?

I honest don't remember that much 'fuss', if that's the right word, being made about Hillsborough, outside of football circles. I may have missed it but I don't recall it happening.

Sadly, aside from legal disputes or political implications, disasters tend not to live long in the memory, except of those affected or interested.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Bradford fire dosen't get a lot of coverage either.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 26,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't the anniversary next week?