Graham Norton Show Series 16 begins 26 September 2014

Comments

• Zidane82Zidane82 Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    andi84 wrote: »
    Well, you've just disqualified yourself from being taken seriously... I mean, are these really your best arguments? It's merely your opinion, LOADS of people disagree, and - as mentioned above - not just teenage girls, but people you enjoy good (pop) music.

And even IF what you wrote was true, why hate them? Don't you have anything better to do with your time and energy??

I kinda agree with you. I feel that a lot of the One Direction "hate" stems from a mix of ignorance and pure jealousy . I'd love to have £30+ million in the bank and be lusted after by thousands of women. People should be more understanding.
    Forum Member
    That is how he always speaks. He has a very slow deep speaking voice. He does not seem to fit in with the rest of the band now. He wears different clothes, has older friends and he even sits slightly apart or stands slightly apart from the rest of them. Think he will do a runner soon and then we will not have to see them anymore! Graham Norton is getting really irritating now. Just laughs inanely and sycophantically. This was the worse show of the series and it has been a poor series all round. Very disjointed, no flow. Boring guests - all of them.

Yes I think you're spot on about Harry ( long haired one lol ) . He's clearly the brightest of the bunch and just happens to have the best voice and be the most popular with fans.
    He's obviously going to be a massive solo performer and sooner rather than later.
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zidane82 wrote: »
    I've never understood the hype. I don't find her amusing or witty or even particularly likeable.

Yes, she does tend to come across as a bit of a cold fish in interviews.
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    Avi8 wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan of Graham's show but that was One Really Boring Episode.

Michael Keaton seemed nice enough. So often American guests don't 'get' the British guests but he was doing ok. He wasn't give much air time though.

Victoria Wood - I used to like. Oh dear. I was only kind of half watching when she was offered food - was she really as rude as I thought she was about that? And having seen a clip of the film she was promoting, I am pleased to say that is 90 minutes I won't be wasting on Boxing Day.

Jamie Oliver - I don't mind. He could have been ok. Again, whisked off too soon. I didn't like the changing of guests half way through at all. Why do that? Just have less guests!

Ian McKellen - national treasure. Agree with previous poster that he would have been good with MK.

1D - who, apart from a few teens, cares? Bland song. Nothing they said will stay in my memory beyond - oh well, I have actually forgotten everything they said already.

Better to have had MK, IM and JO. Dump Wood and 1D.

Victoria Wood has been plugging this film on radio, The One Show etc etc and she always comes accross as a grumpy old bag.
    Forum Member
    shanders wrote: »
    Victoria Wood has been plugging this film on radio, The One Show etc etc and she always comes accross as a grumpy old bag.

Correct. Now let's see. One Direction have millions of fans and Victoria Wood about 200 . Now , who will get the most viewers tuning in ?? DiffIcult dilemma.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    Say what you like about whether how good One Direction are, but I really do rate Liam as a singer. He should be the one who actually has a career when they inevitably split up.

Harry will be the one that goes off the rails. Louis will become some kind of TV personality. Zayn will branch off into modelling and maybe some terrible acting, and Niall will fade into obscurity. It's written in the stars.

I agree. He's the only one I can tolerate singing, as I think he genuinely has ability. I felt sorry for him, when he got ushered into the group.
  • puppylove7puppylove7 Posts: 66,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1D are very lucky boys - someone else writes their songs for them, someone else plays the musical instruments on their records for them, they each only have one fifth of the lyrics of a song to learn & sing, and they make loads of money & travel the world.

Ermmm...they write their own songs. They discussed that on the show. And they can play their own instruments. Really don't get the hate for them. I mean they're not my favourite band but I do think they're good.
  • Yasmin26Yasmin26 Posts: 3,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never commented on this thread before, Rarely miss Graham Norton show. Really like the style of having the guest on the same and seeing how they interact.

However last night's show was really disgraceful and if Graham continues on this way can't see myself watching his show any longer.

I was really looking forward to seeing Michael Keaton on the show, this is the man who played possibility the best batman and not to mention was beetlejuice. I was really curious to see what happened to him as he was such charismatic actor . He comes back with Birdman which is a movie that is being tipped will get him an Oscar nomination.

Graham barely acknowledges him and asks him nothing. He could have asked him about his career whether it was his choice on why we have not seen much of him in the last 10 years. why not at least ask about Batman and what he thought of the Christopher Nolan films and the negative reaction to Ben Affect playing Batman.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    That is how he always speaks. He has a very slow deep speaking voice. He does not seem to fit in with the rest of the band now. He wears different clothes, has older friends and he even sits slightly apart or stands slightly apart from the rest of them. Think he will do a runner soon and then we will not have to see them anymore! Graham Norton is getting really irritating now. Just laughs inanely and sycophantically. This was the worse show of the series and it has been a poor series all round. Very disjointed, no flow. Boring guests - all of them.
    nick202 wrote: »
    It was just all very misjudged. They could have easily made 2 programmes out of all the guests they had - 1D and Jamie this week, then MK, VW and IM the next week. VW did seem rather out of sorts - mainly because JO was making her a bit uncomfortable at times (I know she's quite opinionated about food issues, so I think there may have been some underlying tension there), and also maybe because she knew she was going to be booted off at some point.
    I had the feeling that this was going to be a write off of a show when the line up was announced but it was worse than I thought.

Basically two shows ruined in one. I'm not interested in 1D but I would have tuned in for IMcK if that was the show's lineup.
    The other line up seemed good. Keaton doesn't seem to do many interviews and it would have been great to hear from him about his career. Nope, non of that.

Wood does seem like a grumpy old bag on chat shows. Felt a bit sorry for JO in that regard. He was only trying to be nice and they always get chefs to knock something up. Too much of a cliche on chat shows.

Norton is getting worse. Drink, laugh, nod, repeat.
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zidane82 wrote: »
    Yes I think you're spot on about Harry ( long haired one lol ) . He's clearly the brightest of the bunch and just happens to have the best voice and be the most popular with fans.
    He's obviously going to be a massive solo performer and sooner rather than later.

Well that is well and truly up for debate. It's embarrassing how hard he tries at being a rock star :D oh and he also does not have the best singing voice either.
  • BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a strange show, an out of place American actor - Jamie Oliver pushing his Christmas book - a bored Victoria Wood pushing her Christmas musical
    Then the second show, Ian Mckellen (every chat show hosts dream guest), and One Direction who seem to lack any kind of personality and looked bored to death. I amused myself trying to guess which is the gay one (there is always a gay one)
  • SmintSmint Posts: 4,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a bit of a hotch potch, wasn't it? I usually like how completely different guests are thrown together to see how they interact, but the first half of the programme was very odd with no one looking particularly comfortable. I did like Ian McKellen in the second half, but I suspect he would have been as charming with anyone who happened to be sat next to him - his "You shall not pass" to the school children was wonderful

I have no interest in 1D but the shrieking fans every time they were mentioned was irritating and they didn't really contribute much to the "chat" part of the show - I'd rather have had Ian McKellen and the other 3 guests for the whole show - would have loved to have seen him and Michael Keaton together
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    was Harry Styles stoned or something ? he acted very odd .
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they had to have 1D on it should have been contained to the singing at the end. They did not interact much with Graham so they were taking up room on the sofa. They should have had McKellen on with the others. I don't think Victoria W is rude - she is shy and uncomfortable when she is not doing her stand up. Jamie O's hair - he has dyed it dark brown. It used to be a gingery brown - that's why it looked odd. I think the two segments were probably filmed on several days.
  • MybelleMybelle Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    Malliday wrote: »
    They were on this show last week and were vastly more entertaining and engaging than these charmless clowns.

I watched it last week and thought that even though Take That have been on the treadmill much longer they were funny and didn't mind having a laugh and gave a much more interesting interview than 1D.

Whilst watching them perform my husband commented it was almost like watching two separate boybands singing. Harry and Zayn on one side - all grungy looking and Louis, Liam and Niall looking like Take That's younger brothers.
  • ayrshireman1ayrshireman1 Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a strange show, an out of place American actor - Jamie Oliver pushing his Christmas book - a bored Victoria Wood pushing her Christmas musical
    Then the second show, Ian Mckellen (every chat show hosts dream guest), and One Direction who seem to lack any kind of personality and looked bored to death. I amused myself trying to guess which is the gay one (there is always a gay one)

Just the one?.
    :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just the one?.
    :D

Larry Stylinson
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that is well and truly up for debate. It's embarrassing how hard he tries at being a rock star :D oh and he also does not have the best singing voice either.

I find it so funny when people whine about harry trying to be a 'rock star' - why cos of the way he dresses? Who cares. No one tries harder to be a rock star than actual rock stars, they ain't automatically cool, they create those images just like boybands do, but people buy into it because they're supposedly 'credible'. Mick jagger is the biggest tryhard that ever lived, but society decided he was cool and that was that.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Certain comedians don't do interviews well. Love Victoria's material though. Seen her live.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rawr wrote: »
    I find it so funny when people whine about harry trying to be a 'rock star' - why cos of the way he dresses? Who cares. No one tries harder to be a rock star than actual rock stars, they ain't automatically cool, they create those images just like boybands do, but people buy into it because they're supposedly 'credible'. Mick jagger is the biggest tryhard that ever lived, but society decided he was cool and that was that.

I think that Harry is copying Mick. Funny you should mention him.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    mikebuk wrote: »
    Certain comedians don't do interviews well. Love Victoria's material though. Seen her live.

Ive always liked Victoria but she didnt come across well at all on this and that movie thing looked awful. I normally like Michael Ball too. Also Michaels been on Buzzcocks and Sunday Brunch recentky and I dont recall him mentioning this.does he know it's bad?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that Harry is copying Mick. Funny you should mention him.

People don't live in vacuums, everyone copies everyone. The Rolling Stones copied everything that came before them just the same, if people are feeling generous they say 'influenced by'.
  • Teddybear99Teddybear99 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    I don't consider the effort boybands put in to be equivalent to that of an ordinary job e.g. nurse; electrician etc. I'd learn a dozen dance routines if I could have partying in LA as a lifestyle.

I don't think anyone bar friends and family should be proud of One Direction's achievements either. It's not like they're a charity for which thousands of people have raised money to do something specific. They're out to make money with big backing. Whether or not they're successful at that is of no concern to me.

When sportsmen and women compete in other countries and do well people say they are proud of them What's the difference?
    I can't believe it's that difficult to understand. The sorry spectacle of watching 5 talent deficient non-personalities get ushered through a career they have no interest in having (beyond going along with the ride whilst the money comes in), is deeply unpleasant to most people. After 4 years and 4 albums of pure excrement, they still offer nothing, no singing ability, no musical ability, no charisma, nothing. And everything about them suggests they are incapable and uninterested in improvement.

That'll be why :)

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I believe this was written by someone who has not listened to all four of their albums all the way through, and who is therefore not qualified to make the comments they have.
    It's their fault not mine, you should be having a go at them for annoying me and the rest of the adult population (bar a cupla nutters).

Besides I don't hate them 24hrs a day, only when they appear and i'm reminded of them again...It really doesn't take much of my time or energy:)

Happy to be a nutter! :D
    Satnavvy wrote: »
    Well they get writing credits - so did the Spice Girls - I believe I am correct in saying that they got somewhere around 0.5% of the royalties so I guess that tells its own story.

As for the AMAs, don't be so naive.

AMAs, along with 47 other awards, latest album number one in 85 countries, the only band in history to debut four albums at number 1 in the Billboard Charts, numerous musical records smashed. Yes I guess I must be naive to think they are popular.
    Dandem wrote: »
    Say what you like about whether how good One Direction are, but I really do rate Liam as a singer. He should be the one who actually has a career when they inevitably split up.

Harry will be the one that goes off the rails. Louis will become some kind of TV personality. Zayn will branch off into modelling and maybe some terrible acting, and Niall will fade into obscurity. It's written in the stars.

Harry is the sensible one! He knits backstage. He is also the one who is quite political and who has spoken up for gay rights. Whatever the future holds for them as a group or as individuals they can be very proud of what they have achieved together.

They also came in at Number 2 of celebrity top fund-raisers. http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/5847924/taylor-swift-one-direction-top-list-of-most-charitable-stars

Oh and I am over the moon because my lovely 61 year old 60s music loving husband bought me tickets to see 1D on their 2015 tour for my birthday. :)
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Victoria Wood doesn't like doing chat shows she shouldn't do them, not go on and be rude and sit with a face like a slapped backside.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    For me Victoria Wood was the best guest on there. I turn off when that bunch of idiots came on.

Well Woods is one of the truly great comedic talents ever to come out of Britain. She was truly wonderful on the show.

Oliver was fine. Bland and cute. But nothing much to contribute, like most chefs other than the great Gordon.

Keaton was also good, but mixed. He is just one of those actors that have little or no personality and I think Graham knew that.

I was really excited when McKellen arrived out ... but switched off when the kids arrived. No I don't obsess against them like some of the silly people here do. They are simply not my cup of tea ... but are loved by millions.

I was disappointed that McKellen was not either on his own or with the first couch. He is a magnificent actor, with a rich life experience and full of great stories. But putting him with the kids was ...... bizarre.

Some people think they have to love every guest of the show is a disaaaster ! and the producers are stoooopid !

No. If you watch programs like this, you need to realise that different people like different things and suck it up.