BT Sport & The Champions League - What To Expect?

RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Feel sad it's leaving Sky. They do a very good job with their coverage. Love Souness, Neville etc.

I'm dreading BT's coverage. Have they confirmed red-button with multiscreen? Have they also confirmed Danny Baker and Owen Hargreaves won't be seen within 50 miles of their Champions League production?

Also any chance of a reduction in the Sky Sports subscription? It is afterall their 2nd main asset behind the EPL.

Comments

• rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did not know that Champions league coverage was leaving sky. I thought that maybe taking it away from ITV? What season is this going to be taking place?
  • RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From next season. No longer on ITV either, though part of the deal involves BT showing at least one match FTA from each of the four English qualifying teams.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    rfonzo wrote: »
    I did not know that Champions league coverage was leaving sky. I thought that maybe taking it away from ITV? What season is this going to be taking place?

It's leaving Sky and ITV after this season
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I really enjoy BT Sports Europeon Football Show and I hope they bring some of that to their Champions League coverage.As it would be great to see James Richardson covering Champions League football on BT Sport!
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I expect higher prices.

On a related note, my broadband price went up at the start of this month - the second time that my price has gone up after being promised by a BT customer service advisor that it wouldn't.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From next season. No longer on ITV either, though part of the deal involves BT showing at least one match FTA from each of the four English qualifying teams.

It's one group stage game from each British team that makes it to the group stage and the final that are to be shown free, so possibly 6 games (1 x 4 EPL teams + Celtic if they make it).
  • Young TurksYoung Turks Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Feel sad it's leaving Sky. They do a very good job with their coverage. Love Souness, Neville etc.

I am glad it is leaving Sky, hopefully BT can invest more and make those games behind the red button in HD. Sky keep saying they have the highest of sports channels yet we get 1 or only 2 games a match day in HD that's really poor in this day and age.

CL is the biggest club competition in the world and every single game should be shown in HD considering all games are produced in HD so no excuse for Sky's poor SD coverage.

Hope BT will show those games in HD as it should be, if they do, I will probably join BT.
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3 things on BT

1) Improve their soundmix qualities on offtubes (compare Sky at ground, Sky offtube and BT offtube sound mixes)

2) Comms/Co-Comms on ALL games. If they think about 'cheapening up' on that, negative move.

3) Whatever BT do, copy one thing on sky, that's the 10pm highlights show. 3-5 minute goals edit from every game with commentary, no voiceovers/beds/fancy shit or what have you. It's the best highlights show on TV, and I really fear about it.
  • FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV will be showing highlights of matches from the Champions League from 2016.
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disappointing it's leaving ITV, not for the standard of coverage but for thinking of the people who don't have any subscription service. I see mention of showing at least 1 game from each English team FTA, hopefully it will be more than that as right now the same people can watch one match from every matchday. Also there's the Europa League that BT havepicked up too with quite a lot of coverage currently FTA. Apparently there were talks about subletting some games to ITV, I think it would be good if that happened - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/champions-league/11132035/BT-Sport-in-talks-with-ITV-over-sharing-Champions-League-and-Europa-League-games.html

On a personal level I currently get BT Sport 'free' as a subscriber to the Virgin Media XL package, I wonder if that will continue or if I'll be asked to pay for it/towards it in the future? Recently got a letter saying I'm going be charged just under a fiver more per month in the near future for my package, I don't want another one come next August.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree about the 10pm highlights show, it's great. The only thing I don't like is them giving the headlines/results at the start of the show. Yes, most people will know anyway but if you've just got in or just want to watch that show in particular it ruins it giving the results straight away.

I'm not massive on the BT EPL coverage, it's very BBC vanilla for me and aimed at the casual fan. Although I do like the 'on the pitch' presentation. That would be fun in some of the CL away ties :D
  • PaulLFCPaulLFC Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    I really enjoy BT Sports Europeon Football Show and I hope they bring some of that to their Champions League coverage.As it would be great to see James Richardson covering Champions League football on BT Sport!
    I agree, EFS is the best football show BT produce by quite some distance. Hopefully they see sense and use them to present their CL coverage in some capacity - I'm hoping that them presenting the Europa League coverage this season is BT giving them a "training exercise" before promoting them to CL coverage when they have the rights.

Apologies for straying into fantasy land here, but hopefully BT go for something similar to this (this is from their currently used presenters/commentators without any additions they might make):

Presenters
    James Richardson
    Darrell Currie
    Lynsey Hipgrave

Pundits
    Julien Laurens
    Raphael Honigstein
    James Horncastle
    Andy Brassell
    Jermaine Jenas
    Gordon Strachan

Commentary Teams
    Ian Darke & Jim Beglin (I know Gray is heavily rumoured to be being considered by BT but he hasn't been confirmed yet)
    Peter Drury & Stewart Robson
    Adam Summerton & Richard Hughes
    Steve Bower & Adam Virgo
    Jonathan Pearce & Tony Dorigo

They will need more pundits and certainly more commentary teams than that, but that's a start. Could all change depending on any additions they make.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is afterall their 2nd main asset behind the EPL.

i would say that cricket is a bigger asset to sky than champions league.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »

... and golf.
  • samburrowssamburrows Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also any chance of a reduction in the Sky Sports subscription? It is afterall their 2nd main asset behind the EPL.

No chance.The Sky revenue model just doesn't work that way - what you can expect is a greater focus on retention deals and marketing.
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PaulLFC wrote: »
    I agree, EFS is the best football show BT produce by quite some distance. Hopefully they see sense and use them to present their CL coverage in some capacity - I'm hoping that them presenting the Europa League coverage this season is BT giving them a "training exercise" before promoting them to CL coverage when they have the rights.

Apologies for straying into fantasy land here, but hopefully BT go for something similar to this (this is from their currently used presenters/commentators without any additions they might make):

Presenters
    James Richardson
    Darrell Currie
    Lynsey Hipgrave

Pundits
    Julien Laurens
    Raphael Honigstein
    James Horncastle
    Andy Brassell
    Jermaine Jenas
    Gordon Strachan

Commentary Teams
    Ian Darke & Jim Beglin (I know Gray is heavily rumoured to be being considered by BT but he hasn't been confirmed yet)
    Peter Drury & Stewart Robson
    Adam Summerton & Richard Hughes
    Steve Bower & Adam Virgo
    Jonathan Pearce & Tony Dorigo

They will need more pundits and certainly more commentary teams than that, but that's a start. Could all change depending on any additions they make.

So, no Derek Rae, Steve McManaman, Darren Fletcher or Michael Owen from their current team? I'm sure that they will all be involved.

I wonder if they are considering using Fletcher to do some of the presenting. He's not done any commentating on the Europa League so far(unless he does any tonight). Adam Summerton has been superb whenever I've heard him do any of the European League games.

I know that you are of the same mind as me regarding Michael Owen, so I won't go there. I hope that they sign Lee Dixon who's a great pundit and is also a useful co-comm.
  • PaulLFCPaulLFC Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew wrote: »
    So, no Derek Rae, Steve McManaman, Darren Fletcher or Michael Owen from their current team? I'm sure that they will all be involved.

I wonder if they are considering using Fletcher to do some of the presenting. He's not done any commentating on the Europa League so far(unless he does any tonight). Adam Summerton has been superb whenever I've heard him do any of the European League games.

I know that you are of the same mind as me regarding Michael Owen, so I won't go there. I hope that they sign Lee Dixon who's a great pundit and is also a useful co-comm.
    Not sure how I missed off Derek Rae! Rate him highly so certainly hope he's involved. You're very likely right that the others will appear too, but that was an "ideal scenario" list in which Owen would get nowhere near a microphone.

Dixon is a good choice for another pundit, hopefully they manage to bring in Henry too as I thought he was very good at the World Cup.
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PaulLFC wrote: »
    Not sure how I missed off Derek Rae! Rate him highly so certainly hope he's involved. You're very likely right that the others will appear too, but that was an "ideal scenario" list in which Owen would get nowhere near a microphone.

Dixon is a good choice for another pundit, hopefully they manage to bring in Henry too as I thought he was very good at the World Cup.

I share your opinions on Rae and Owen. Let's just hope that Owen's moved over to a pundit role by then.

I wonder what they'll do with Jake Humphrey. He loves being pitch side, but I think it looks cheap to do the entire presentation from there, and liable to be affected by sprinklers, PA announcements etc. I would prefer them to use the BT Sport London studio with either Richardson, Hipgrave, Currie or Fletcher anchoring the coverage. They can then go over to whoever is pitch side for each game on that particular evening. That way we get the best ( and worst ) of both worlds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jermaine Jenas commentating on Champions League football? Hopefully that day doesn't ever come to fruition !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »

Maybe in your head but not in reality. When English teams are involved more especially it trounces any Cricket viewing figures.

Golf? LOL

Sky's 2nd biggest non-football asset by viewing figure is actually the PDC darts!
  • DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    I always thought that if BT launch a third channel, that they'll have Jake Humphrey host the main game on BT1, Lindsay Hipgrave/ Darrell Currie hosting the other English game on BT2 with James Richardson with the EFS pundits on BT3 covering the best of the European coverage and red button options.
  • sat-iresat-ire Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    It's one group stage game from each British team that makes it to the group stage and the final that are to be shown free, so possibly 6 games (1 x 4 EPL teams + Celtic if they make it).

It's at least one match from each British team.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe in your head but not in reality. When English teams are involved more especially it trounces any Cricket viewing figures.

Golf? LOL

Sky's 2nd biggest non-football asset by viewing figure is actually the PDC darts!

i'm not a cricket fan, never watch it, but even i can see that cricket is a major asset for sky.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Golf? LOL

And is there an average of two four day darts tournaments with around 20 hours live coverage of each one every week? Over the year many more watch more golf than darts.

From Sky's recent financial statement
    The standout event of the period was the 2014 Ryder Cup, exclusive to Sky Sports and with us providing over 330 hours of programming including 36 hours of live coverage from Gleneagles. Our dedicated Sky Sports Ryder Cup channel broke previous viewing records, being watched by 4.1 million individuals. During the final day’s play, Sky Sports Ryder Cup was the single most watched channel in all TV homes.
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am glad it is leaving Sky, hopefully BT can invest more and make those games behind the red button in HD. Sky keep saying they have the highest of sports channels yet we get 1 or only 2 games a match day in HD that's really poor in this day and age.

CL is the biggest club competition in the world and every single game should be shown in HD considering all games are produced in HD so no excuse for Sky's poor SD coverage.

Hope BT will show those games in HD as it should be, if they do, I will probably join BT.

Weren't there three games in HD on Sky last night (Man City, Chelsea and Barca)? While it would be nice to have all eight matches in HD, I'm not sure how cost effective that would be. The percentage of Sky viewers in the UK more interested a match not involving one of the British teams than the two matches that do must be pretty small, and even then, it's not as though they can't watch the game. Just not in high def.

So long as BT match the breadth of Sky's coverage, and have at least two games live and in HD, and all the other matches available, that's all I'm concerned about.