Options

donnie darko on bbc2 right now!

OnexOneOnexOne Posts: 3,816
Forum Member
✭✭✭
hi folks,never seen this film before! Been told its one of those ones you either love or hate! any views folks?

Comments

• Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :) It's different.Deeply creepy in places.Wait till the guy in the rabbit outfit makes an appearance.You'll feel the hairs on your arms stand up.
    I think it helps to watch it a couple of times.Bit like Blue Velvet i suppose.A cult classic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    It's one of my favourite films :) Above poster is right, I had to watch it a few times to fully understand what was going on.
  • Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its really good, except the remake where they screwed with the soundtrack :mad:

mustve seen it like a billion times.

echo and the bunnymen and joy division :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    I've only seen the film once, and I didn't understand it very well. I still don't. :confused:
  • Options
    EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member
    Hated it first time I saw it. Loved it second and third and fourth and fifth.. :o:D

Very strange and complex but it works. :)
  • Options
    bad-beatbad-beat Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Knowing what the main "plot" of the film is actually all about definately helps enjoy this film. Watching it for the first time with no real idea of what it is about is just going to confuse you. How many people are going to come on here and say that they had to go to wikipedia after watching it tonight?
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it more when I DIDN'T fully understand the plot. It's better for you to make up your own ideas about what it all means instead of the actual explanation. That's why the director's cut isn't as good, it spoon feeds you the pages of the time travel book, AND the music changes don't make any sense because they're not as good, though they're supposedly what Richard Kelly originally intended. It just goes to show how much of a fluke Donnie Darko was. But it's a great fluke.
  • Options
    NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I first saw this not long after it came out on DVD and enjoyed it, watching again last night I can see why it's become the film of choice for a generation of Emo teenagers!

Anyway, I have a problem with the ending, I just don't "get" how he managed to get himself back to the night of the "incident," the start of the loop. I'm pretty clear on everything else.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretentious rubbish!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,433
    Forum Member
    mathertron wrote: »
    its really good, except the remake where they screwed with the soundtrack :mad:

mustve seen it like a billion times.

echo and the bunnymen and joy division :)

they remade it? when?:eek::confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a Mad World! Did they know at the end?The paedo will escape justice? The soundtrack was great!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did I get it right? That rabbit changes time by keeping him out his bedroom? This 'alternate' time will reset in 28 days and a loop will happen again and again unless something changes?
  • Options
    TarotTarot Posts: 11,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .Mimi. wrote: »
    they remade it? when?:eek::confused:

The 'directors cut' was released in 2004.
  • Options
    MidiboyMidiboy Posts: 8,263
    Forum Member
    I love Donnie Darko - it's definitely in my top 10 favourite films...
  • Options
    trevalyantrevalyan Posts: 7,705
    Forum Member
    this film is a mess
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    I like it. Only ever seen it twice, even though I own the dvd. It's one of those which I'd put off watching so that I want to watch it more, if you know what I mean.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    I love this film and I keep meaning to get hold of the director's cut. Apparently Noah has a bigger role than we saw in the film, but a lot of it was cut.
  • Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    The Director's Cut is rubbish compared to the original cut.

Adore Donnie Darko, ending is fantastic. Sequel looks utterly rubbish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sequel isn't even Richard Kelly's work. The rights were bought by someone he used to work with, because he didn't fully copyright it (too expensive).
    I refuse to have anything to do with it. It's theft as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cult film at it's best

Soundtrack is Amazing
  • Options
    Jimmy Big LegsJimmy Big Legs Posts: 390
    Forum Member

I agree, the Director's Cut really ruins the magic and mystery of the film. Grab the original if you can (hmv.com still appears to sell it).
  • Options
    purplelinuspurplelinus Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First time I ever watched it and really enjoyed it - think it's now one of my favourites. Did have to Wiki it but only to make sure I had it right and that it wasn't a dream - but of course it couldn't be as he saw Frank before the jet engine fell!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member
    Did I get it right? That rabbit changes time by keeping him out his bedroom? This 'alternate' time will reset in 28 days and a loop will happen again and again unless something changes?

Perhaps. There's lots of theories on the internet though. I've never taken the time to read them but I know there are a LOT.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The film got me into the band 'The Church'. 'Under the Milkyway' is a great track.
    The album the track comes from, Starfish is very good to.
    Check out the track 'North, South, East and West'.
    I agree with others the Director's Cut isn't as good as the original especially as some of the music is cut.