Options

Sky Sports F1 HD - Interactive Red Dot

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
Forum Member
Anyone else not able to get rid of the annoying interactive red dot at the top right hand corner of the screen?

Seems to work ok on the SD broadcast on channel 459.....

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the red dot is part of the DOG
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The point is, it shouldn't be - right?

On every other channel, this can be removed......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steve_c wrote: »
    The point is, it shouldn't be - right?

On every other channel, this can be removed......

sky have obviously made the decision to include it in the DOG for the HD channel, therefore technically "it should be".

it's been like that since channel launch.

besides, with all the other data shown on screen, it's hardly a distraction.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This goes against Sky’s own policy regarding the display of the Red Button.
    Why have a 30 second Red Button display time-out setting within the Sky EPG menu if you are going to override it.

Wasn’t this originally adopted to stop screen burn on HD Plasma and LCD Television screens?

So what, this takes you through F1 Race Control, a multi-video option that gives you action from the pit lane, team radio, live timing and up the chuff on-board cameras.
    This is no different to what Sky Sports originally had with multi camera facilities available when viewing Live Premiership Football matches - the Red Button was still viewer removable by pressing back-up or via the display time out menu setting.

Wish I could say that I don’t notice it but I do.
    It would have been better just to have the empty white circle at the end of the DOG to signify the F1 Race control was available, or no DOG at all.

Perhaps we should ask Sebastian Vettle to give Sky Sports F1 HD Red Button the finger.
  • Options
    KeyserSozeKeyserSoze Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's also pretty pointless having it as part of the DOG if you've recorded it to watch later, as you can press the button until your finger bleeds, but it won't do any good (obviously) as the additional feeds haven't been recorded alongside it.

If it can be removed from the SD channel (or the EPG timeout option kicks in to get rid of it), why they shoved it as a permanent graphic alongside the DOG is baffling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The biggest concern is the potential burn in on having the red dot as a static image for 2 hours while the race is being broadcast.

As previous posts have mentioned, the core functionality of removing interactive information was added into Sky software some years back. Adding the red-dot into the DOG for the F1 channel is is complete laziness on the part of the broadcaster.

Have raised this with Sky Technical but until it goes, I guess I will have to switch between the SD and HD broadcast for the races which aren't on the BBC to ensure the dot doesn't damage my screen.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steve_c wrote: »
    The biggest concern is the potential burn in on having the red dot as a static image for 2 hours while the race is being broadcast.

no more potential than having the normal DOG on screen for the same period of time surely.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    Could not agree more, chenks

The red dot/DOG does no more damage than the lap counter which is ever-present during the race either or the F1 logo in the bottom left and no-one complains about them :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    It does seem a bit daft that the red dot is always there when it serves absolutely no useful purpose whatsoever.
  • Options
    Raven8472Raven8472 Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    Looks like the permanent red dot on live SKY F1 HD will remain for 2013 looking at latest live programming from SKY.

On a 51inch TV i find it very annoying, have sent a Tweet to Sky F1 several times but they have ignored.

Serves no purpose to be non removable.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kam wrote: »
    It does seem a bit daft that the red dot is always there when it serves absolutely no useful purpose whatsoever.

Maybe it's there to advertise the fact, for those not watching live, to make them think they are missing something, so they might watch it live next time?
  • Options
    R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is an annoyance. It only appears as part of the DOG on the HD channel. On the SD channel it can be removed by pressing the back button.
  • Options
    ClatterClatter Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    R410 wrote: »
    It is an annoyance. It only appears as part of the DOG on the HD channel. On the SD channel it can be removed by pressing the back button.

It's even more annoying knowing that.

I complained on the Sky website about this last year. They were really helpful and sent me instructions on how to set the auto hide feature.:rolleyes: