Can Anything Save This £20 Million Turkey of a Show?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jiopsi wrote: »
    Only if the blind and deaf support of the deluded idiots continue.

You've been reading How to Win Friends and Influence People haven't you?
  • TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    Alli-F wrote: »
    It's only last Saturday that they haven't had a crossover. :confused:

Well, I just checked the schedules on overnights.tv & unless I'm mistaken, they haven't clashed for at least 2 weeks.
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    So, unless I have completely misunderstood your posts and the contextual meaning of the word "anymore" why state this:

:confused:
    I'm not getting the issue? :confused: I was just stating that they haven't clashed in weeks and since then, the ratings have been falling despite no clash, so BGT is obviously not to blame for the decline. I only said the Saturday clash is irrelevant because a) it hasn't happened yet so we don't know what will happen ratings-wise and b) it doesn't take away from the fact that the ratings have been going down when they've not been airing at the same time.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tyjet wrote: »
    I'm not getting the issue?
    If there was any issue, it was with my understanding of your use of the word "anymore", for me implying a time from the present into the future.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    happy tv wrote: »
    Apparently Cheryl Cole is going to save the show

:D Now that is funny "The Voice" is going to be saved by someone who cant sing for peasnuts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Murky Past wrote: »
    You've been reading How to Win Friends and Influence People haven't you?
    No, but Stop Being Ignorant And See The Hoax was a dandy.
  • happy tvhappy tv Posts: 1,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D Now that is funny "The Voice" is going to be saved by someone who cant sing for peasnuts.

I know, if she does 'save it', it will be completely ironic pmsl
  • penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Satnavvy wrote: »
    What is your problem?

Speaking good sense has never been a problem for some of us
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Queen__Bea wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

I know that primetime TV is not what it was numbers wise in the 1970s and 80s (people now have Sky and a hundred other channels).

But there must be an upper limit figure for what the BBC could and should be aiming for on a Saturday night? The classic Generation Game slot as it were. I think the Beeb ruined this slot themselves with endless lottery related quizzes over the years.

What kind of numbers was Dr Who getting on a Saturday night when David Tennant was in the role?

There's also the little matter of cost per viewer. This must surely cost more than Dr. Who?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Satnavvy wrote: »
    I am just interested in your one woman campaign to slag this programme off. I can't help it if your posts do come across as bitter and not at all well argued.

Dismissing someone as a troll is very easy. Explaining your motives clearly isn't.

Make that two people arguing clearly and cogently and putting forward constructive ideas for the improvement of the show.
  • maggie_07maggie_07 Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking good sense has never been a problem for some of us

Neither has pomposity it seems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maggie_07 wrote: »
    Neither has pomposity it seems.

That's pomposity? :eek::eek:
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Queen__Bea wrote: »
    The Beeb must be looking at the plummeting viewing figures and thinking how on earth did we get it so wrong - again. They failed spectacularly with Fame Academy years ago, and clearly they learned have no lessons.

Like Eldorado, they are not going to simply cancel the show because it is a disaster - they will try to make their huge financial investment work before giving up. So expect at least one more series after this dismal start. But they need to get a grip with the following:

The judges are terrible. Tom Jones hasn't been a credible artist since the late 1960s - before he went to Las Vegas, met Elvis, blah blah blah and became the king of cheese. Jessie J comes across as an inexperienced, inarticulate, ungrateful chav. Danny is the most famous person no one had ever heard of, and his constant fist pumping, singing along with the lyrics, and crying to show how "passionate" he is has become very very tiresome. Will.I.Am may be a world class music producer, but he is no TV personality. He has no coherent views and mumbles nonsense in an almost inaudible staccato. They all interact very badly , and they have all discredited themselves by giving wild praise to really mediocre acts. Awful.

The contestants are not good enough. From Max (who just screams "I have a showbiz mummy" through everything he does) to the silly little bleach blond guy who looks like Freddie Starr playing Billy Idol), we are dealing with real second-raters here. People who qwould have either never made it to the X Factor live finals or who would have been put out in Week 1 or 2. The sob stories don't help. We've had too many sob stories in reality TV to really care anymore. So what, that woman is bald. So what, that guy has a dead Amy Winehouse haunting his every step. It just doesn't work. And to think, all of them were handpicked for the auditions by a production team who thought they were guaranteeing a good mix of entrants!

The live show just doesn't feel live. I just don't know why, but this is what really seems to kill the show - the live show has a really flat, naff feel to it. It doesn't feel like a big, shared, live Saturday night event. It feels like a kids Saturday morning show and with the crowd near the stage whooping and cheering for some really poor performances, again, it is just another rerun of Fame Academy. All it needs is Patrick Kielty and the whole sorry mess would be complete.

It's getting worse. The real reason people are turning off is because they realise it's all downhill from here. The best, most watchable part of the show was at the start with the judges turning in their chairs to "commit" to a voice. But of course, they didn't "commit" to a voice, they just selected fodder who were swiftly dumped to make way for an extremely dreary, shouty, boring talent show that is now just grinding on with no point. It's obvious that none of these people will ever be stars, so there's no edge to the show whatsoever.

So can the BBC salvage it? They are using our money to fund it, so unlike ITV they'll be under no pressure to dump it because of low ratings. But rather than let it stagger on like this, it'd be great if they did manage somehow to give us a big, live Saturday night show to rival X Factor. But they need to be brutal. They've invested £20 Million in this. What they've given us so far is not worth that money. It needs a total overhaul.

Good post, especially the part about it not feeling like a live show. I have been feeling like there was something missing and I described it as an amateur feeling but you have hit the nail on the head. It feels low budget and low key, not like a prime time Saturday night program.

I would like to see completely different judges next time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's pomposity? :eek::eek:

Yes it is. I could give lots of reasons and could use other more appropriate adjectives but I'd probably get banned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it is. I could give lots of reasons and could use other more appropriate adjectives but I'd probably get banned.

Oh, go on, go for it. Nothing like having a personal pop at people:yawn:
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    Right, first of all, its not a Turkey, it still averaged over 8 million on Saturday (I'm not bothered about Sunday night as results shows are not the issue) which is still whopping ratings for a first season of any show but thats not to say it couldn't be improved. Here are my thoughts:

Switch Holly and Reggie Around-Reggie seems more natural and Holly is better suited to the supporting role as in DOI but I wouldn't axe either of them
    Show the Results on Saturday Night-I know its trying to boost Sunday, but it doesn't work unless its live (Same with Strictly) and introduce a 'sing off' battle round here
    Integrate social media more-The US version has Tweets running across the screen after the performance so that would be better than Reggie reading out tweets, its stilted and odd. Also, add itunes voting, I really like that idea.
    And finally, we need some drama rather than having people standing singing. Jessie can prattle on all she wants the about dancers which is fine but there needs to be some production-They're meant to be crafting Artists and Artists need to carry a concert

Remember, its only the first season, Strictly averaged 4.5 million, X factor averaged around 7 million but these learned what worked just as The Voice will!

All valid points and well made but the issue with the voice is how much the beeb paid for it. It has to be seen to be delivering the numbers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,044
    Forum Member
    8 million is a very respectable number

the Voice is not a turkey , it doesn't have everything right but nor does it do everything wrong

I do however think that at the battleround if people could have voted then they may have felt more invested in the remaining contestants
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shefair wrote: »
    nor does it do everything wrong
    What does it do right?
  • SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What does it do right?

Baiting yet again. What I see as right might be your wrong.

All these going in circles, I like Danny, you hate him. I like Jessie, you hate her. I like Will, you hate him. I like Tom, you hate him.

I like Max, you hate him. I like Bo, you hate her. I like Ruth, you hate her. I dislike Holly, you dislike her even more.

So? Where does all these right or wrong (all opinions) tend? 8 million viewers certainly don't have a problem with it?

What IS your problem?:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, go on, go for it. Nothing like having a personal pop at people:yawn:

Yes I'm sure you'd love to press that alert button.

I've found an easier solution, the ignore button, so I won't have to read your "opinions" any longer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've found an easier solution, the ignore button, so I won't have to read your "opinions" any longer.
    Daily dose of ignore and shutdown from reality for the Voice viewers? How sweet.
  • SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daily dose of ignore and shutdown from reality for the Voice viewers? How sweet.

Baiting again. Class.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yep, sounds sweet to me :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't even know what the alert button is! I hope you are feeling calmer now.:)
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't even know what the alert button is! I hope you are feeling calmer now.:)

Errr, it's the one that says 'Alert'.:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muggsy wrote: »
    Errr, it's the one that says 'Alert'.:confused:

I know WHERE it is - just not sure what it's for!