What is the obsession with homesexuality in soap on this forum?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
Forum Member
Why is it that threads on gay couples or gay storylines are so popular and other toics are not? I look on this forum and any thread started about Johnny from Eastenders or any other gay character from a different soap gets so many replies and interests?

Is there an unfair bias towards this topic? And why are peole so quick to jump on topics of religion especially, with such hatred?

Surely I can't be the only one that has noticed this on here?

Comments

• KeibroKeibro Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Religion is the root of so much evil in the world.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Thanks for proving my point.
  • Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    I think there are a lot of gay men on the soap forum which probably explains it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You dont need me to prove your point. Look at the news.

What harm is homosexuality doing on a comparitive scale?
    Forum Member
    So u think blaming all religions on political conflicts or shining resources such as oil through means of war Is fair. So it would be okay for me to say that homesexuality is the cause of aids and it causes all these deaths around the world?

What nonsense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest I couldnt care less what you believe.

I wouldnt start a thread moaning about it.
    Forum Member
    I do not care in the slightest what you would do or what you think of my thread .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Instead of moaning about people talking about homosexuality, which harms nobody.

Perhaps a better thread question would be "Why do so many religions go around spreading hate and murdering people, because they believe in something different?"
  • notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    Keibro wrote: »
    Religion is the root of so much evil in the world.

This is not strictly true!! As far as I know all the major religions promote peace!! Sadly they seem to attract many bigots, cranks & evildoers who are good orators & can twist people's minds into believing they are acting in the name of religion!! It was ever thus even back at the beginning of Christianity and, I suspect, the other religions too!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They promote peace, until they don't agree with something i.e. homosexuality then they go out of their way to speak out against them, inciting hatred and seeking to marginalise people.

If they promote peace, a lot of them certainly don't practise it.
  • Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the posters in the long-running gay storyline threads are women. It baffles me too. There must be some broader appeal there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vas makes a big deal about it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it that threads on gay couples or gay storylines are so popular and other toics are not? I look on this forum and any thread started about Johnny from Eastenders or any other gay character from a different soap gets so many replies and interests?

Is there an unfair bias towards this topic? And why are peole so quick to jump on topics of religion especially, with such hatred?

No you aren't, although I can't say I've seen much about religion on the soaps forum, but then I don't read Eastenders/Hollyoaks threads so maybe it's there.
    I think in a lot of cases it's people wanting to be seen as PC - they make it out to be something special and a big deal and surely a gay person would rather not do that?
  • absalomabsalomabsalomabsalom Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do not care in the slightest what you would do or what you think of my thread .

That's not very Christian of you. Jesus would want you to respect others. But hey, that's Christians - choose the bits of the Bible that make you feel better about yourself and ignore everything else.

P.S. - most ridiculous thread I've ever seen on Digital Spy. Well done.
  • FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a disproportionate interest in homosexual relationships on the sopa forum compared with heterosexual ones. I think its because for us straights its an insight into something that we would otherwise have little knowledge of and for the Lesbian gay transsexual community it makes them feel represented in the mainstream.personally I think soaps spend far too much time on the relationship merry go round and they need to look at other aspects of peoples lives which is why i only watch Doctors now
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm more concerned about the extreme right wing political bias expressed by many on these forums and the complete lack of empathy shown to others. I don't care if a bunch of people want to obsess over soap characters, that's unimportant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's not very Christian of you. Jesus would want you to respect others. But hey, that's Christians - choose the bits of the Bible that make you feel better about yourself and ignore everything else.

P.S. - most ridiculous thread I've ever seen on Digital Spy. Well done.

This.
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 50,931
    Forum Member

Erm there are plenty of other popular topics on here.

It's not so much a bias, but the pure fact is we now have the freedom to talk about sexuality, so we do so.

I cannot see there is a problem, what is your motivation for this post? Do posts about homosexuality annoy you because you do not agree with it?

As for Religion, that's always a touchy subject on here and is the case on any of the boards on DS, not just the soap section.
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with Faye RE: Soaps almost solely featuring relationships. Doesn't half get boring.

OP generally I think it's due to there being quite a few geighs on DS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think given the variety of topics that are on DS, the OP chooses to take an issue with homosexuality being discussed.

It says to me the OP has a problem with homosexuality, and the fact they bemoan religion is met with hostility, shows their motivation for this thread and will get snippy when they are disagreed with.
  • newyorkcitygirlnewyorkcitygirl Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Handbags and glad rags.
  • Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love gay couple storylines. I'm not sure why! I just do.
  • attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well maybe it's because soaps have awful LGBT characters like Sean. Either that or they jump into bed with the next gay/lesbian character who comes to the soap or they shag the opposite sex & get them pregnant, like Ste off of Hollyoaks.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cybersq wrote: »
    Vas makes a big deal about it.

Do I?
  • bass55bass55 Posts: 18,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a few posters are being a little unfair to the OP, I don't think the original post implied there was any 'problem' with homosexuality (and believe me I'd be the first to call them out on it if there was).

But in answer to the OP's question: yes there is a disproportionate interest in homosexual characters and relationships. But so what?
This discussion has been closed.