Series 23 DISCUSSION

Comments

• Lili27Lili27 Posts: 2,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does not seem like much interest in dwts this season but for anyone who is:

Here is the line up for next week.

Maureen and Artem VERSUS Amber and Maks – Salsa
    Maureen: 1-800-868-3409 (Song: “Tres Deseos” (“Three Wishes”) by Gloria Estefan)
    Amber: 1-800-868-3401 (Song: “Booty” by Jennifer Lopez featuring Iggy Azalea)

Rick and Emma VERSUS V.Ice and Witney – Paso Doble
    Rick: 1-800-868-3410 (Song: “Tamacun” by Rodrigo Y Gabriela)
    V.Ice: 1-800-868-3413 (Song: “Save Tonight” by Zayde Wølf)

Calvin and Lindsay VERSUS Terra and Sasha –Viennese Waltz
    Calvin 1-800-868-3403 (Song: “Woman’s World” by BJ The Chicago Kid)
    Terra 1-800-868-3412 (Song: “Iris” by The Goo Goo Dolls)

Babyface and Allison VERSUS Jana and Gleb – Jive
    Babyface: 1-800-868-3402 (Song: “Great Gosh A’Mighty” by Little Richard)
    Jana: 1-800-868-3406 (Song: “Too Many Fish in the Sea” by Bette Midler)

Laurie and Val VERSUS Marilu and Derek – Tango
    Laurie 1-800-868-3407 (Song: “Into the Sunset” (Headhunterz Radio Edit) by Crystal Lake featuring Kifi)
    Marilu 1-800-868-3408 (Song: “Battle Cry” by Imagine Dragons)

James and Sharna VERSUS Ryan and Cheryl- Cha Cha Cha
    James: 1-800-868-3405 (Song: “Big Trouble” by Outasight)
    Ryan: 1-800-868-3411 (Song: “If It Ain’t Love” by Jason Derulo)
  • DWTS_FanDWTS_Fan Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lili27 wrote: »

Maureen: 1-800-868-3409 (Song: “Tres Deseos” (“Three Wishes”) by Gloria Estefan)

Laurie 1-800-868-3407 (Song: “Into the Sunset” (Headhunterz Radio Edit) by Crystal Lake featuring Kifi)

Thanks Lili, it seems well matched for the most part.
  • Monsieur23Monsieur23 Posts: 6,915
    Forum Member
    Good lord, the songs are actually alright for the most part! :o

That being said, both the Tango songs have the capacity to be either incredible or dire, depending on choreography/stage set-up.

(Also why they didn't save "Battle Cry" for Hallowe'en I will never, ever understand).
  • JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    Ryan hasn't got a bad song this week for a change
  • Nina_BlakeNina_Blake Posts: 6,578
    Forum Member
    Lili27 wrote: »

Dying at Amber's song :D
  • ElsaElsa Posts: 3,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh lord - Vanilla Ice just asked his partner Witney what language paso doble was and she said - "I don't know - Latin?"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if anyone is following but if you are double elimination tonight. I have no idea. I feel bad for Maureen - I think the editing of her constant crying and Artem frustrated can't help.

If I had a say on to send packing it would be Amber and Maks . I don't get it - her complaints about being body shamed but they are doing routines that to me are extremely sexualized. Sheese. Lordy, I had to look away when Maks was laying on top of her on the table. :o Ugh.

I think Marilu will be the shock elimination of the season in the coming weeks. I just don't see her gelling with Derek and something is off.

To me Laurie is a lock for for the win (ginormous fan base) but second place hmm. James' quickstep was a fabulous routine even with the bobble, I only wish Len was there to comment. Calvin is another one who is getting better every week and Terra just going out and getting it done in such a good way.

I dread these theme weeks but evidently they seem popular. Next week is most memorable year.....
  • fabulistfabulist Posts: 504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is shaping up to be one of the worst seasons ever. But sadly I'm not surprised, as SCD has improved it's cast in the last three or so seasons, DWTS has gone down hill.

For starters, I can't remember there ever being such an inevitable winner (Laurie), who is very good but I'd love to see her dance a ballroom number for a change. The rest are generally OK but don't stand out in anyway, either as dancers or for their personality.

I also think the standard of Pro has gone down. Whitney and Alison just aren't good enough. Keo was terrible too and will probably come back. Artem is dull as dish water. Emma is wasted every season.

The never ending themes are terrible too. In particular the one/s that serve as an excuse to put a bunch of crying celebs on screen as they tell us their life stories.
  • soap__loversoap__lover Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    not sure is this is a spoiler - it happened in the results show so i'll tag it in case
    Sasha proposed to Emma live during the show. It was really sweet, and the whole cast came over and congratulated them after. Bruno was crying as well! Really happy for them. Here's a link to the video: Proposal video
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe14 wrote: »
    I agree a lot with this statement. I also don't get why they are pushing Val for a win. Why on earth would you want someone who abused a child on social media to win????????

Wow just looked that up, nasty stuff. Suppose I shouldn't be surprised, his brother also has always come across very unpleasantly too imo.
  • PinkDiamondPinkDiamond Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not sure is this is a spoiler - it happened in the results show so i'll tag it in case
    Sasha proposed to Emma live during the show. It was really sweet, and the whole cast came over and congratulated them after. Bruno was crying as well! Really happy for them. Here's a link to the video: Proposal video

I am so happy for them, gorgeous moment!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't make myself watch Derek's solo number (with the drums). However, while snooping around, as you do - I found out that Derek passive-aggressively tweeted (and later deleted) the following about the duo number that Maks and Val did the week before (or maybe it was about the all-pro-male number last night but that doesn't make sense as they kept their shirts on):

Derek's tweets:

"Talent trumps cheap thrills. I hope America recognizes the difference."

Followed by, "Glad to be apart of a classy show that isn't about male stripping. Oh wait we still do that on this show."

Val responded with:

"Boy you better stay away from those male strippers then."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The maks/val number was very tacky, especially when they started grinding on a women from the crowd. But apparently the female dancers now do an annual strip club number so no shock.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this comment about Derek's solo performance Tuesday: "Kinda funny that Derek was tweet-complaining 'Glad to be a part of a classy show that isn't about male stripping' when he went all 'male stripper' during his private performance"

I really shouldn't bring this up since I refuse to watch his majesty holding court on DWTS but I think twitter-warring with the Chmerkovskiys is pretty tacky (and tells a lot about Derek's professional jealousy). If he's such a goody-two-shoes, maybe he should stay out of Salt Lake City gay clubs wearing glittery metallic trousers and insisting angrily to fans that he doesn't want his photo taken - "Not here!!!!!" [as per Perez Hilton reportage]

Sorry... meowing my way away :kitty:
  • little_lexielittle_lexie Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    For a guy with no performance background James looks incredibly at home and at ease on the stage.

His quickstep this week was amazing, he was really giving it the razzle dazzle. Even the knee-slide into the final Charleston section was timed to perfection. In fact he was outstanding in that section - out front and centre and really leading it. It's a joke that he was in jeapordy.
    Forum Member
    Maureen and Merilu are the surprises this season for me; Maureen because she's a much better dancer but much less likeable person than anticipated, and Merilu because I keep waiting for Jennifer Grey and it just... isn't happening. She 100% in her head and it is SO frustrating.
    Forum Member
    Also, slightly peeved that I can't find Kenny's Tango anywhere due to copyright claims from Universal.
  • BeyonceCastleBeyonceCastle Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elsa wrote: »
    I couldn't make myself watch Derek's solo number (with the drums). However, while snooping around, as you do - I found out that Derek passive-aggressively tweeted (and later deleted) the following about the duo number that Maks and Val did the week before (or maybe it was about the all-pro-male number last night but that doesn't make sense as they kept their shirts on):

Derek's tweets:

"Talent trumps cheap thrills. I hope America recognizes the difference."

Followed by, "Glad to be apart of a classy show that isn't about male stripping. Oh wait we still do that on this show."

Val responded with:

"Boy you better stay away from those male strippers then."

Ooh burn! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For a guy with no performance background James looks incredibly at home and at ease on the stage.

His quickstep this week was amazing, he was really giving it the razzle dazzle. Even the knee-slide into the final Charleston section was timed to perfection. In fact he was outstanding in that section - out front and centre and really leading it. It's a joke that he was in jeapordy.

He was in jeopardy?! :o Gutted. I had him down to win. Did people think he was safe?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fabulist wrote: »
    Wow just looked that up, nasty stuff. Suppose I shouldn't be surprised, his brother also has always come across very unpleasantly too imo.

It was stupid and ill thought through but the fact that the family were suing for six million rather than concentrating on the photographer taking a picture without permission seems mercenary.
    I hate that meme as I know my own kids would be destroyed by it. However, I am responsible by and large for their weight. This child because of her downs will be more prone to obesity (due to using less calories when sleeping) so childcarers are advised to monitor and look out for weight gain.
    Highly unlikely when Val posted that, he knew of her condition. Still believe whole meme is fat-shaming. That said, obesity is an epidemic and I, as a size 22, have to stand up and be counted. The photo itself is morally corrupt. The sentiment behind it less so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am so happy for them, gorgeous moment!

Those moments always have the potential to go wrong though :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was in jeopardy?! Gutted. I had him down to win. Did people think he was safe?

Actually I think James indeed might have been in jeopardy because he does not have the support like Helio did. If you look at his YT videos he has much lower views than Laurie who is killing it.

I think the strategy the producers are trying to do is let the public know if you don't want him to be a shock elimination you need to vote. I personally like him and support him because he has no dance/performance experience and he just going out and doing it and enjoying the experience, taking it seriously but doesn't seem to be up in his head about it either. Also when he was injured he fractured his pelvis and tore his femoral artery and he doesn't complain about any aches and pains - so far anyway.

James has another ballroom this week (Tango) which means that he is getting the dances he does well at early and Latin which he struggles with for later in the season. They may result in an elimination midseason if he does not do well enough. Are the producers orchestrating that? I don't know. The switch up is week 5 I believe and so he may have a difficult Latin with a partner he is not used to.

I also think they underscored Calvin a bit and that may help Calvin in getting the public behind him.

I notice that the ratings were way up for Tuesday's show especially with younger viewers which is what ABC wants and needs so the advertisers must be pleased. I imagine Laurie is drawing in those younger viewers.
  • Baz_JamesBaz_James Posts: 4,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was in jeopardy?! :o Gutted. I had him down to win. Did people think he was safe?

You should always take jeopardy with a large pinch of salt. Those in jeopardy but not going home are, as they usually remind us, not necessarily in the bottom two, three or whatever number they go with. I would be extremely surprised if yer man was actually as imperilled as it was made to look.
  • Baz_JamesBaz_James Posts: 4,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fabulist wrote: »
    I'd love to see her dance a ballroom number for a change.

Did you miss her Tango then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laurie has a paso this week. I think she will do really well and it will be a chance for her show her performance skills.

Here are dances and songs

Calvin and Lindsay – Jazz –(song: “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell)
    1-800-868-3403

Maureen and Artem – Foxtrot (song: “From the Ground Up” by Dan + Shay)
    1-800-868-3409

Jana and Gleb – Contemporary – (song: “In My Daughter’s Eyes” by Martina McBride)
    1-800-868-3406

Marilu and Derek – Viennese Waltz (song: ““Surprise Yourself” by Jack Garratt)
    1-800-868-3408

Amber and Maks – Samba (song: “Woman Up” by Meghan Trainor)
    1-800-868-3401

Ryan and Cheryl – Contemporary – (song: “A Song for You” by Leon Russell)
    1-800-868-3411

Terra and Sasha – Contemporary (song: “Stand by Me” by Florence + The Machine)
    1-800-868-3412

Laurie and Val – Paso Doble (song: “Rise” by Katy Perry)
    1-800-868-3407

James and Sharna – Tango (song: The Right Time” by Yves V featuring Mike James)