CNN overwhelmed with sympathy for Steubenville rapists, but barely mention victim

1234568»

Comments

• lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You might want to put The Girl Next Door in title case.;)

Hmmm, oh dear. :o
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    ...ooh, is that a thing? I thought it was just an off-colour joke that I wasn't getting.

My mistake, yeah it's a film based on a real event in the 1950s that brought in child abuse laws in the US. There's a better/ more accurate film "All American Crime", but I didn't sleep for 4 days after watching that, I was so upset. :(
  • NatoPMTNatoPMT Posts: 3,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember being 17 the world is yours for the taking, now they've got a lifetime of being branded with this stupid decision any time someone Googles them.

In some respect I agree, as I know that if my 17 year old actions, many illegal, were on google then my life would have been ruined. Thats where my agreement ends, because the irresponsibility of the sympathy offered by what masquerade as the serious and learned opinions of the media still impact. What other crime would be reported in this way I wonder, do CNN and Fox have a history of sympathetically reporting of convictions of teenage car jackers? Or teenagers abusing younger children? Or a teenager setting fire to their school? The Sandy Hook reporting certainly didnt mention any wasted lives when the perpetrator shot himself. And the same PlatinumSteve logic could be applied to that
    I suspect PlatinumSteve is going to say that the brain is still in a state of major development right up until the age of 20 or 21. That is true, but it does not mean 16 and 17 year olds are incapable of grasping that rape is immoral and illegal.

Most 10 year olds could grasp that fact, provided they were taught to see women as human beings and not as meat-bags to abuse for their own sadistic amusement.

I think the bold is the wider issue here in response to Platinum Steve's posts - i do agree that adolescents are less mature and their thinking is less mature, but that doesn't absolve responsibility - it may be argued that it can absolve some of the cover up but not the act itself (as I understand it and may be wrong, under stress adolescent brain function can be impaired) - however, the issue of the OP is the reporting and in my opinion, the CNN coverage adds to the complications of how teenagers perceive this crime.

And the twitter responses calling Jane Doe a **** because they felt that she colluded with the rapists and then got cold feet and reported it as rape.

Well, that wouldnt make Jane Doe a ****, it would make her a criminal.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    JaiJai, read this for an excellent real-time description on what was REALLY happening - you will be freshly shocked, I can assure you! :mad:

http://www.xojane.com/issues/steubenville-rape-verdict-alexandria-goddard

Reading that, some of the people in that town look like nasty pieces of work and that, together with reading the contributions from "Anonymous" (all credit to them) on Youtube and elsewhere makes me think that the number of convictions and their sentences are too low. I was pleased to read that
    "The verdict is finally in, but this story is far from over. The Ohio Attorney General's office has ordered a grand jury to convene in April to investigate additional charges against others"

Let us hope that ALL involved in this disgusting crime are brought to justice as sad to say, it seems that India isn't the only Country containing communities with a twisted attitude towards young women and those who defend them.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if there would be the same feelings of the loss of their freedom if the crime was the rape of a child?
    I bet attitudes would be very different.

There is a disgusting attitude which prevails and appears to not want the crime of rape against women to be taken seriously.
  • spubbbbaspubbbba Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    I wonder if there would be the same feelings of the loss of their freedom if the crime was the rape of a child?
    I bet attitudes would be very different.

There is a disgusting attitude which prevails and appears to not want the crime of rape against women to be taken seriously.

Unfortunately not, there was a story on the TYT youtube channel about a similar case (alleged at present since it hasn’t gone to court).

But in that case the alleged perpetrators were in their late teens and the victim was just 13, there are some really vile twitter comments about her. I don’t think there has been any big news network showing sympathy for the accused but people in the town have been rallying round them, somehow ignoring that it’s still illegal even if it was consensual.
  • SapphicGrrlSapphicGrrl Posts: 3,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Reading that, some of the people in that town look like nasty pieces of work and that, together with reading the contributions from "Anonymous" (all credit to them) on Youtube and elsewhere makes me think that the number of convictions and their sentences are too low. I was pleased to read that
    "The verdict is finally in, but this story is far from over. The Ohio Attorney General's office has ordered a grand jury to convene in April to investigate additional charges against others"
    Excellent news, isn't it? :)

But look at what this blogger has had to go through:-

"...WTOV9 had just announced on the news that myself and 25 anonymous commenters from my blog were being sued for defamation of character. I think I laughed because I was shocked that anyone would file a defamation suit –- especially since the lawsuit was filed by the man who it turns out was Jane Doe's ex-boyfriend and tweeted the now infamous photo of her appearing lifeless and being carried like an animal."

"I have been called a "****," a "drunk," a "bitch with an agenda," a "liar" and someone who hates Big Red so bad that my desire was to bring down their football program. I was accused in a letter to the editor in the local paper as using my blog as a vehicle which “has lent itself to character assassination and has begun to resemble a lynch mob.”
    I was hospitalized for a week in November by the stress of the lawsuit that exacerbated a 20-year old health condition, and accused of lying about it to get attention. My mother was followed around for a week by private investigators hired by the family suing me and my photo was taken to business locations in the area asking, “Have you seen her?”"

"My best friend disavowed our friendship over this case. Imagine my utter devastation and hurt when I realized she was participating in some of the mud slinging against me. Her mother even joined the fray and used Twitter to state what a “fat sweat hog” and “bitch” I was, and how she wished I would “get AIDS and die a slow death.""

It beggars belief, doesn't it?! :confused:
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have sympathy for their wasted opportunities only, not because they made poor decisions regarding alcohol then anti-social behavior, they do need to learn that actions have consequences. The thing is adolescent brains are not capable of contemplating consequences and outcomes of their activities, so you can sit and call them monsters all you want when in fact they behaved like morons but conceivably had no clue that their actions would have outcomes. This is the reason we have the entire Juvenile Court system because minor offenders aren't just like adult offenders they have no ability to foresee what will come of their crimes.

Up to a point, this is true. This is part of the reason why I said earlier in the thread that I could have sympathised with the boys if they'd killed someone while speeding; that's something that happens often - youngsters driving too fast, or driving drunk, or texting at the wheel, without thinking about what could happen. That would come under the category of a mistake or stupid decision.

But this is something else. These boys weren't indulging in some dangerous activity thoughtless of the danger to others. They knew they were harming this girl, and they enjoyed harming her. They did foresee the hurt they would cause. So what you say isn't relevant here.

What they admittedly didn't foresee was their own comeuppance. And indeed, if it hadn't been for that blogger and other people online, they'd have been right not to foresee it. But that lack of foresight is no exoneration.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent news, isn't it? :)

But look at what this blogger has had to go through:-

"...WTOV9 had just announced on the news that myself and 25 anonymous commenters from my blog were being sued for defamation of character. I think I laughed because I was shocked that anyone would file a defamation suit –- especially since the lawsuit was filed by the man who it turns out was Jane Doe's ex-boyfriend and tweeted the now infamous photo of her appearing lifeless and being carried like an animal."

"I have been called a "****," a "drunk," a "bitch with an agenda," a "liar" and someone who hates Big Red so bad that my desire was to bring down their football program. I was accused in a letter to the editor in the local paper as using my blog as a vehicle which “has lent itself to character assassination and has begun to resemble a lynch mob.”
    I was hospitalized for a week in November by the stress of the lawsuit that exacerbated a 20-year old health condition, and accused of lying about it to get attention. My mother was followed around for a week by private investigators hired by the family suing me and my photo was taken to business locations in the area asking, “Have you seen her?”"

"My best friend disavowed our friendship over this case. Imagine my utter devastation and hurt when I realized she was participating in some of the mud slinging against me. Her mother even joined the fray and used Twitter to state what a “fat sweat hog” and “bitch” I was, and how she wished I would “get AIDS and die a slow death.""

It beggars belief, doesn't it?! :confused:

It's because these kind of attitudes have surrounded this case that CNN's coverage was so shameful. They reinforced these views.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    As for been drunk I don't think that is any excuse at all if they are capable of Rape drunk then they are capable sober as it's in that persons nature if it wasn't then no matter how drunk they got they couldn't bring themselves to do it